Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Is the decision in 2006 right for 2011?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...el-fired_x.htm

More and more, this Ravens season reminds me of their 2006 edition. That season also started off with great expectations, but early offensive woes threatened to waste another great defense. The big difference was at QB (veteran Pro Bowler Steve McNair). OC Jim Fassel was fired after a 4-2 start (hmm). The decision was a difficult one for Billick since he was a longtime friend (hmm). What followed was a 9-1 season finish - including two blowouts of the Steelers (13-3 is the best Ravens regular season ever).

Could it happen again? Is it necessary? Would it be a successful move this time around? Is Harbaugh (or someone on his staff) willing to assume the OC's responsibilities, including playcalling on game days?

Keep in mind that Billick was the OC at Minnesota, whereas Harbaugh lacks that NFL experience. And QB McNair was not Fassel's protoge'. Nevertheless, the 'clock is ticking' on Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. This could be the final season for both future HOFers.

CC

Blog Entries

Re: Is the decision in 2006 right for 2011?

Your last paragraph explains exactly why it couldn't happen. There is no one with experience to take over. If you have someone who has done the job before you can turn to them but the Ravens don't have that. Cam will be here the rest of the season for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Your last paragraph explains exactly why it couldn't happen. There is no one with experience to take over. If you have someone who has done the job before you can turn to them but the Ravens don't have that. Cam will be here the rest of the season for better or worse.
    Yup!!!:(
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

It depends on how bad the team gets. Inexperienced does not mean bad. And maybe someone that has never done it before is just what we need, team's won't know what to expect from someone who has never done it before.

Still more or less, I agree. The thing with 06 is that we were running Billick's system. No one could teach his system better than him. Right now we are running Cam's system. If the offensive philosphy was more of Harbaugh's choosing it might be easier to make the change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You'd think that Harbaugh being around football all his life and being involved with the Ravens' O (or something like that... ) he'd have a pretty good idea of the plays, etc.

IMO, it should be either Craig Ver Steeg or Wilbert Montgomery. At least to finish out the season.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Fassel rans Billick's system so really no changes needed to be made. If Cam goes, the system goes and it would be pretty near impossible to put a new system in now.

Blog Entries

I disagree RavensRock.

The system could still stay in place even without Cam.

Guys like Wilbert Montgomery & Craig Ver Steeg have been here during the tenure of Cam and have been a major part of the offensive coaching during that time. They've also been here and seen Flacco, Rice, et al. In fact, Ver Steeg was at Rutgers during the time that Ray Rice was the back there as well, so he's very knowledgeable when it comes to running the ball and Ray Rice.

None of us (or anyone really) knew a damn thing about Chuck Pagano before he stepped up to the plate. Guys who are offensive assistants, QB's coaches, RB's coaches, etc are always going to put themselves in position to try and move up the ladder at some point in their career.

They don't need an entire system overhaul. They just need better play calling and adjustments. You don't need to can the entire system to accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I disagree RavensRock.

The system could still stay in place even without Cam.

Guys like Wilbert Montgomery & Craig Ver Steeg have been here during the tenure of Cam and have been a major part of the offensive coaching during that time. They've also been here and seen Flacco, Rice, et al. In fact, Ver Steeg was at Rutgers during the time that Ray Rice was the back there as well, so he's very knowledgeable when it comes to running the ball and Ray Rice.

None of us (or anyone really) knew a damn thing about Chuck Pagano before he stepped up to the plate. Guys who are offensive assistants, QB's coaches, RB's coaches, etc are always going to put themselves in position to try and move up the ladder at some point in their career.

They don't need an entire system overhaul. They just need better play calling and adjustments. You don't need to can the entire system to accomplish that.
    But that's just it, are you willing to turn to someone who's never done it in midseason? If I recall, Billick make the change during the bye week so he had two weeks. Plus Billick used to do the job. Chuck Pagano had a whole offseason to prepare for his new role.

I'm willing to give someone a shot at it, but with no time at all to prepare? That sounds like a disaster to me which is I'm thinking they would need to get someone experienced, but that guy would want to run his own system.

I think for better or worse, they need to go with Cam for the rest of the season. I can't see them contacting anyone outside the organization as that would no doubt get out. From what I understand there really ins't anyone in the organization that has the experience you need, nor do they have the time to prepare for a new role. I just don't think on-the-job training is a good idea for a team that really is Superbowl or bust.

Blog Entries

Understood.

I guess from my perspective I see guys like Ver Steeg and Montgomery as having intimate knowledge of the offense, so why wouldn't they be able to game plan and work with the guys on offense to produce a good thing?

It's definitely a risk.

Frankly, I think the biggest thing that needs to happen is Harbs, Bisciotti, Ozzie, and Cam all need to have a sit down and flat out tell Cam that unless he gets things turned around and actually coaches during the game then he's gone at the end of the season regardless of record and post-season success.

If Harbs wants to continue to be the HC here (which why wouldn't he?) then he's going to have to make the tough choice and tell Cam to "accept a consulting job that's good for his family..."

Blog Entries

I have Z E R O faith in Cam. Anyone on the Raven's staff could do better. The plays are there, it is just a matter of calling the right one. A damn monkey could throw darts at his menu of plays and pick better plays.

Plus the monkey would be faster then Cam's turtle ass getting the plays into Joe.

The Ravens will wait too late to do it this season.

In 2006 Model (who knew good football when he saw it) was calling the shots - and made the correct football decision.

In 2011 the Biscut (the touchy feely corporate CEO) is calling the shots - and he will make a good business decision (and consequently more likely than not - a bad football decision).

Unfortunately Arizona is so bad that the Ravens will have a good game Sunday, and the problem will be masked again. Everything will "appear" to be back on track because the Ravens will get an easy win. But the following week the wheels will fall off the cart again. The Ravens schedule is going to complicate the problem - every other game (due to playing weak teams) the Ravens will have a good game - then every other week the wheels will fall off the cart again (due to playing a good team). I am now of the opinion that Jim will beat his brother in Baltimore on Thanksgiving Day,
    Last edited by rharris1986; 10-27-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    The Ravens will wait too late to do it this season.

In 2006 Model (who knew good football when he saw it) was calling the shots - and made the correct football decision.

In 2011 the Biscut (the touchy feely corporate CEO) is calling the shots - and he will make a good business decision (and consequently more likely than not - a bad football decision).
    How can you even substantiate that?

I completely disagree. No one wants another Super Bowl more than Bisciotti.

He's a good business man, absolutely, but if he has an issue with something he'll address it with Ozzie, DeCosta, and Harbs.