Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats at Pitt

Re: Pats at Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    back to the topic - I noticed every analyst that I listed to on SiriusNFL today is picking the Pats but most say something like 'until they prove otherwise' so they're going off previous years.

Somehow I just have this feeling that the home team will win this one in a relatively low scoring affair at least for Pats. Ball control, TOP and pressure.
    Peter King is the 0nly major analysts picking the Steeler. He thinks Ben can put up a bunch of points.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a4
    Last edited by DkBlue; 10-27-2011 at 06:00 PM.

As much as I'm hoping for the Pats to win, I think the Steelers have this one. If the Steelers beat the Pats, then they will indeed take the AFC North from us and probably go to yet another Superbowl.

Blog Entries
    The Patriots are very tough to analyze because their Defense isn't as important as it is for other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelGirl View Post
    Ok what is your solution to solving last years Dolphin game???? Just give the win to the Dolphins???? Should they go and replay from that point forward???

Rules are rules for a reason. The officials never made a determination as to who had the ball under the pile up of players. Why???? Because the play was already considered dead because of the original incorrect call. The NFL altered the review rule to allow the recovering team to have the ball in case of a CLEAR recovery. This was not a clear recovery because of the scrum for the ball. NFL films captured an on field ref acknowledging on the spot the recovery was going to be an issue when Steratore was under the hood looking at the play.

You also want to reference the Buffalo game in which a player dropped a pass in OT. Did you know a Steeler player also dropped a TD pass with a few minutes left that would have ended the game in regulation????? Drops are part of the game!!!!

Maybe the Packers should forfeit their Super Bowl last year because Tampa Bay lost their season finale allowing them to make the playoffs, huh???

Note - sorry NCRaven, I was actually responding to Bensmotorcyclethelmt
    Steelgirl,

I understand that. Can't go back and reverse bad calls, OR make players catch balls that land right in their hands.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. And I'm a believer in the saying that "hard work makes your luck."

But don't deny that, especially in the past few years, the Steelers have been the fortunate recipient of a more than the normal share of "unusual" calls and plays, that have little to do with the skill, talent or preparation of the Steeler players or coaches.

BTW,
    I understand why some steeler fans simply want to count "some" of their team's history:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/
    "Active Franchises:"
    Baltimore Ravens: 1996-2011 132-113-1 .539
    Pittsburgh Steelers: 1933-2011 546 501 20 .521

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    Peter King is the 0nly major analysts picking the Steeler. He thinks Ben can put up a bunch of points.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a4
    He picked the favored team in every game except this one. I dunno if they can win a 'bombs away' contest against the Pats but it should be a good game to watch.

I sense a long day in the mancave. Ravens/Cards followed by Pitt/Pats followed by Cowboys/Igles ;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I sense a long day in the mancave. Ravens/Cards followed by Pitt/Pats followed by Cowboys/Igles ;)
    Or a Girlcave !!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Its hard to ever want the Steelers to win a game but looking at the long term picture of this season what benefits the Ravens the most as far as potential home field advantage throughout the playoffs?

The Steelers have the easier schedule I believe remaining but the Ravens will have their chance to nose ahead of them if they win next week in Pitt. N.E. has a tougher schedule but probably no tougher game than Pittsburgh so it might be nice for them to pick up a loss this weekend. If the Ravens had beaten Jax last week, I think it would have made greater sense to hold my nose on this game and hope for a Steeler win but with that Jax loss, it is a tougher call especially with myself not feeling so confident about travelling to Pitt next week.

It has been great to see the Ravens make the playoffs the past three years but to be a PSL owner since '98 and to have only seen one playoff home win and only 3 home games out of 15 total playoff games is pretty lame. At this point in my fandom, I really am pulling for a #1 seed scenario and while it is imperitive to win the AFCN first, I am always hedging that a bit with how are we looking as a #1 seed. Either way, it is a loss for a team that we will be competing with for the #1 seed ultimately.

I am hoping the Ravens go through a gut check this week and come out swinging on offense. I would like to sneak out of M&T just a bit early this week to get home in time to catch 3 qtrs of the Steelers/Pats game.

My gut says the Steelers win this game which might not be a bad thing for the Ravens epecially if it is a hard fought emotional game. Not that the Steelers will "let down" the following week against the Ravens but I like that scenario a bit more than the Steelers being humiliated again by Brady and coming out angry and swinging against the Ravens.

Great drama around this game. What would we be doing if Art never brought us his team?

He picked the favored team in every game except this one. I dunno if they can win a 'bombs away' contest against the Pats but it should be a good game to watch.

Same plan. Ravens and Red Zone on Direct TV. Steelers-Pats on in most of the nation and zip to Red Zone on Fios so great day then an excellent finisher in the evening.

Just an impression but the Jerry Jones Cowboys do not have the same football powess as the Tom Landry Cowboys.

I think Jones on the sidelines and constantly on the screen takes away from that franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelGirl View Post
    Or a Girlcave !!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Exactly, my wife is a cave dweller of the first order.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Its hard to ever want the Steelers to win a game but looking at the long term picture of this season what benefits the Ravens the most as far as potential home field advantage throughout the playoffs?

The Steelers have the easier schedule I believe remaining but the Ravens will have their chance to nose ahead of them if they win next week in Pitt. N.E. has a tougher schedule but probably no tougher game than Pittsburgh so it might be nice for them to pick up a loss this weekend. If the Ravens had beaten Jax last week, I think it would have made greater sense to hold my nose on this game and hope for a Steeler win but with that Jax loss, it is a tougher call especially with myself not feeling so confident about travelling to Pitt next week.

It has been great to see the Ravens make the playoffs the past three years but to be a PSL owner since '98 and to have only seen one playoff home win and only 3 home games out of 15 total playoff games is pretty lame. At this point in my fandom, I really am pulling for a #1 seed scenario and while it is imperitive to win the AFCN first, I am always hedging that a bit with how are we looking as a #1 seed. Either way, it is a loss for a team that we will be competing with for the #1 seed ultimately.

I am hoping the Ravens go through a gut check this week and come out swinging on offense. I would like to sneak out of M&T just a bit early this week to get home in time to catch 3 qtrs of the Steelers/Pats game.

My gut says the Steelers win this game which might not be a bad thing for the Ravens epecially if it is a hard fought emotional game. Not that the Steelers will "let down" the following week against the Ravens but I like that scenario a bit more than the Steelers being humiliated again by Brady and coming out angry and swinging against the Ravens.

Great drama around this game. What would we be doing if Art never brought us his team?
    Good analysis. Interesting listening to Pittsburgh sports radio this week. They are psyched for the game but constantly talking about the following week against the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    Good analysis. Interesting listening to Pittsburgh sports radio this week. They are psyched for the game but constantly talking about the following week against the Ravens.
    Pittsburgh has a score to settle with Baltimore just as Baltimore had one the settle with Pittsburgh in Week 1. It is going to be tough win for the Ravens especiallly after that crap last week in Jax which is leaving us all wondering "who is this team"? I think that was a huge confidence killer for the Ravens too. It had to be.

I don't see another 2006 scenario where the Ravens hammered the Steelers twice in one season. The Steelers are too good of an organzation to not bring their "A" game to the Ravens two times in a row.

I didn't read most of this thread, so forgive me if I cover anything already beaten to death.

The big story is, of course, Brady vs LeBeau. Brady's going to get his points. No question. Steelers can have some success pressuring him, but only if they can get pressure up the middle with the front 3...if they have to depend on Woodley, Timmons, etc, they're done. I'm optimistic that a little more youth on the line (Heyward, Hood) can bring better results. Part of me also hopes that Hampton sees limited snaps this week as well...McClendon was able to collapse the pocket against Arizona last week, which was refreshing to see.

But the real story may be the Steelers offense. Everyone remembers that the Pats hung 39 on us last year, 350+ yards, 3 TD. But most people may not remember that the Steelers were losing 24-3 going into the 4th quarter. Through the first three periods, the Steelers had two drives stall inside the Pats 10 (one resulted in a FG, the other a terrible Jeff Reed miss - he was cut the next day), and three drives of negative yardage. The bulk of the Steelers points, yardage, and all three of Ben's TDs came after it was too late.

That can't happen on Sunday. And it shouldn't. The Pats defense is porous. Ben has the weapons to take advantage of it. The o-line has been getting marginally better the last couple weeks, at least in pass protection. I'm hoping Ward is out - the offense looked 10x better after he left last week, and Sanders/Brown/Wallace all got more snaps together. Speed kills, and Ward doesn't have it anymore.

Most people are going to think the Steelers should run, control the clock, keep Brady on the sideline. Nay. The Pats offense is going to try to force Pittsburgh into a shootout. Accept the challenge. If that happens, I'll take Ben and his receivers against the worst pass defense in the league, over Brady and his receivers against one of the better defenses in the league.

I'm cautiously optimistic, like I always am when they play the Pats. But I'm feeling better about it this year than in the past few. Take the over.

Steelers 34
    Pats 30