Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Re: Skip Bayless: Tebow would be a better fit for the Ravens than Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeBettis63 View Post
    The fact is Joe Flacco is the Ravens QB for the foreseeable future. All talk about someone else is futile. That being said, he doesn't seem to have a clue in the 2 minute drill. He looked like he was sleep walking against the Jags. Actually, he looked like just didn't care which I know isn't true but there was no urgency.
    I put the blame on Cam for the horrible 2 minute drill. It was his decision to go at that pace.

There are examples of Flacco looking good in the 2 minute drill. One example comes to mind right away, last year's win against the Steelers in Pittsburgh during the regular season. He drove his team down the field with under 2 minutes and threw the game winning td pass. He drove the team down the field in the last minutes against the Vikings a few years ago, and our kicker missed the game-winning fg.

I have more faith in Flacco than I do in Cam.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSG View Post
    I disagree with most of your post. Teams that are interested in winning aren't going to pull their established qb and replace him with a rookie with not one minute of regular season experience. Plus the team is 4-2. I can maybe see the team putting Taylor in for a wildcat formation. Use him like we did Troy Smith. To answer your question of whether Taylor can do any worse, the answer in my opinion is yes. I don't see T. Taylor putting up 8tds/5ints, and 1,415 passing yards in a 6 game span.

I agree that we need to make some changes in our offense, and I think the only realistic option is to improve the offensive line. They haven't been able to run block or pass block the last few games. Hopefully Grubbs can come back soon and the offensive line will eventually get it together.
    I'm not saying to make Taylor the starting quarterback, just to put him in on occassion to try something different. Perhaps he can get out of the pocket and make a positive play. Monday night we were just waiting for something good to happen by doing the exact same thing over and over again. When you go almost 3 quarters of football without getting a first down, something is very wrong.

Blog Entries

Right now, Tyrod Taylor = Tim Tebow. I actually think Tyrod could do some special things with this offense in a wildcat or as a decoy. He's quite accurate and mobile and if given the ball (one way or another) could ignite this offense. Imagine Tyrod and Joe in the hurry-up offense running the wildcat? There's not a defense that could guess or adjust to what's going on.

Anyone thinking about Marc Bulger now?

Skip Bayless would probably say he'd take Mike Flacco over Joe Flacco if he had to, for ratings. Hell, he'd probably say he'd take Mike Flacco over Eddie Murray for ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple4ever View Post
    Anyone thinking about Marc Bulger now?
    Yes. I think the Ravens should carry three QBs, with the starter being Joe Flacco.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

Quote Originally Posted by MattSG View Post
    I put the blame on Cam for the horrible 2 minute drill. It was his decision to go at that pace.

There are examples of Flacco looking good in the 2 minute drill. One example comes to mind right away, last year's win against the Steelers in Pittsburgh during the regular season. He drove his team down the field with under 2 minutes and threw the game winning td pass. He drove the team down the field in the last minutes against the Vikings a few years ago, and our kicker missed the game-winning fg.

I have more faith in Flacco than I do in Cam.
    Not saying Joe has no ability to drive a team...your examples demonstrate he has had some success. But there are more failed opportunities and against the Jags it was just weird, he acted like he was out for a stroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    It's human nature to place a disproportionate amount of importance on the most recent information, but it's usually folly. Joe's greater body of work tells me he's an above average QB. But if you still question weather we'd be better off with the Tebow's of the world...

The 3 years before Joe the Ravens were a team with a lot of talented players. Their records...
    Regular Season: 24-24 (50%)
    Playoffs: 0-1

The 3+ years since Joe's been with the Ravens:
    Regular Season: 36-18 (76%)
    Playoffs: 4-3

I'm not saying the teams preceding Flacco are otherwise the same as the teams we have now, but in today's NFL the biggest change you can make to a team is at QB. The change to Joe Flacco has made all the difference in the world.

So any claim that Tim Tebow, Tyrod Tailor, or anyone the Ravens will have a chance to draft next year present a better option for the Ravens than Flacco is silly. Could some of them turn out to be good QBs, even better than Flacco? Sure. But unless you have a crystal ball, you don't know which ones. We know we have a winner. Why change that? Why believe we'd be better off with some unproven commodity?

Yea Flacco's off to a bad start, but look at his career as a whole. He's a good QB, and we're lucky to have him. Can we please regain some perspective and step off the ledge.
    Ad hoc ergo procter hoc.

Just saying.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't mind seeing Taylor out there in different formations.

Just for grins, but on my flag football team with the Navy I played QB and we had another guy who was bigger and slower than I was, but had a much stronger arm and we both lined up in the backfield acting like we were both going to get the snap. Depending on the play it would be snapped to either one of us or we could hand it off on a sweep/option pass to either side or one of use play action and go out to the flat (behind the LOS) and catch the pass with the option to run or pass it again.

It worked beautifully. No one could figure it out.

:D
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCorvax View Post

Yes. I think the Ravens should carry three QBs, with the starter being Joe Flacco.
    The problem is, who do you cut from the current roster? Will Bulger or Taylor play STs?

Quote Originally Posted by Piltnh View Post
    Ad hoc ergo procter hoc.

Just saying.
    Obviously there are other factors that have helped account for the difference between the 2005-2007 teams and the teams since (Harbs vs Billick, Ray Rice, etc...) but given the importance of the QB position in the NFL, the most glaring difference is the addition of Joe Flacco. I think it's reasonable to assume that this has contributed to the consistent winning that we have since experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    I'm not saying to make Taylor the starting quarterback, just to put him in on occassion to try something different. Perhaps he can get out of the pocket and make a positive play. Monday night we were just waiting for something good to happen by doing the exact same thing over and over again. When you go almost 3 quarters of football without getting a first down, something is very wrong.
    Sorry. I thought you were implying that we needed to make a qb switch.

I agree we need to do something, whenever our team gets shut down from the get go, we have no answer.