Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Would You Still Take Rex Ryan?

haha I just wondered if Rex would hire Cam after the Ravens fire him? I'm sure Shotty is done in Gangreenland.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.

rex ryan all day every day and twice on sunday...

has gotten further with much less than harbaugh and can coach his team up for big games unlike harbs...

what are the ravens against steelers/pats/colts under harbs?

4-11?

CHOKE

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    Another aspect of the situation that needs to be taken into account is what personnel Rex needs to successfully run his system. Rex's defensive system is heavily reliant on a shutdown CB. Do you think that Rex would have went into Gillette Stadium and dominated Tom Brady with Chris Carr and Frank Walker as his starting CBs?
    An aggressive front seven can make up for a weaker defensive backfield. I think the defense would have been stout with Rex. While having a shutdown corner allows him to do some things that he could not do with the Ravens, having a Haloti Ngata and a Terrell Suggs opens up some other possibilities.

As for the offense? Who knows. I think the Ravens would be better with a WCO/spread style than a half assed air coryell that only airs it out to the TE, and seems to favor the HB screen over any other play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    An aggressive front seven can make up for a weaker defensive backfield. I think the defense would have been stout with Rex. While having a shutdown corner allows him to do some things that he could not do with the Ravens, having a Haloti Ngata and a Terrell Suggs opens up some other possibilities.

As for the offense? Who knows. I think the Ravens would be better with a WCO/spread style than a half assed air coryell that only airs it out to the TE, and seems to favor the HB screen over any other play.

I certainly agree wholeheartedly with your "as for the offense" statement. If I see that wheel route pass play to Leech one more time (or if he introduces a "Leech around" play) I'm going to pull out the pistol and blow a hole through the flat screen. We seem to be employing the "fullback centric pass play version of the air coryell offense."

Sorry but I disagree. While I am not a fan of Rex' flamboyant attitude, I think the Ravens would have gone farther with Rex running the defense than they did with patty cakes mattison, and I don't think we would be shouldered with miami Cam running the offense as he isn't a close personal family friend of the Ryans like he seems to be the Harbaughs.
    I have to stop you right there, Rex was in awe of Cam Cameron in 2008 and he said he would have hired him as the offensive coordinator. Despite what I and others think of Cam he was a hot target prior to the 08 season based on his strong track record from San Diego and he would have been the OC regardless of who the head coach was.

Blog Entries

Agreed.

I've always said, West Coast offense is the best offensive scheme in the world, even if you know what the formation is, or have an idea of what the play is, it is still difficult to defend because of it's options.

Blog Entries

That aggressive front seven did very little for Rex in 2007 when Chris McAlister went down with an injury and missed a large part of the season. That was my point. In general, an aggressive front seven can help a secondary. However, Rex and Rob Ryan run blitz heavy schemes that leave their CBs with very little safety help, which is why Rex needs a CB like McAlister or Revis.

So, do you think that Rex would have found the quarterback to run this system? The west coast system has it's advantages, but they are only maximized by a quarterback who knows how to utilize all of them. I can't even name five current QBs that can truly run a west coast offense like that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Again, completely ill conceived and horribly incorrect.

You knuckleheads act like Rex Ryan turned a program like the Dolphins or something around in 1 year.
    Fans tend to overvalue the the talent on their teams and undervalue the talent on other teams. Which is why people make stupid statements like that.

Harbaugh took a 5-11 team and turned it into an 11-5 team his first year. Rex took a 9-7 team and went 9-7 with them his first year. Enough said.

I'll take Dullbaugh over Fatasaurus Rex any day. The record speaks for itself.

Blog Entries

Do you think Sanchez is better than Flacco? That they have anyone as talented as Ray Rice? That their O and D lines can hold a candle to the Ravens? Linebacker corps? The only place they are better is secondary, and that isn't saying much.
    1. The Jets the previous season were 9-7 and barely missed the playoffs.
    2. Thomas Jones was one of the best RB's in the league and rushed for over 1400 yards and 14 TD's.
    3. Rex signed Bart Scott & Jim Leonhard, which essentially ensures that someone out on the field understands the defensive scheme. Both are very good players.
    4. David Harris is one of the better 3-4 ILB's in the league.
    5. Calvin Pace.
    6. Bryan Thomas.
    7. Shaun Ellis.
    8. Kris Jenkins.
    9. Darelle Revis.
    10. Cromartie.
    11. Traded for Braylon Edwards & Santonio Holmes.
    12. Signed LaDanian Tomlinson who had a resurgence year.
    13. Arguably the best pass blocking LT in the league in Ferguson.
    14. Easily the best center in the league in Mangold.
    15. Probably the best capologist in the league in Tannenbaum.
    16. Jason Taylor for a year.

Yea...that team was really talentless...man Rex is a genius...

I'm not saying Rex is a bad coach or hasn't done a good job with what he's got. However, to say that Rex has done more with the Jets and has had less talent than what the Ravens had is incorrect up and down.

Rex is a hell of a defensive coach. However, for my money, Harbaugh has become the better head coach and has really grown with this team.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Agreed.

I've always said, West Coast offense is the best offensive scheme in the world, even if you know what the formation is, or have an idea of what the play is, it is still difficult to defend because of it's options.
    I love the WCO, but I don't really know that Flacco is the QB for a WCO. His release is kind of on the slow side and for a WCO you need someone who can get the ball out super quick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Fans tend to overvalue the the talent on their teams and undervalue the talent on other teams. Which is why people make stupid statements like that.

Harbaugh took a 5-11 team and turned it into an 11-5 team his first year. Rex took a 9-7 team and went 9-7 with them his first year. Enough said.
    :respect