Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Pollard a liability in coverage

Which is why he and Zibby were splitting the reps. Pollard is a less touted Dawan Landry.

Pollard made the game sealing play against the Texans, and is one of the best tacklers on the team. He may have made a mistake in coverage on that one play, but ultimately, it didn't matter.

Blog Entries

Count me among those who doesn't see what all the hype is about when it comes to "Zibby". I much prefer having Pollard in the game. He complements Ed Reed perfectly.

Blog Entries

Zibby's best position is the one held by Ed Reed, which means he's not going to get a lot of playing time in that slot. However, everything he does on the football field he does well. Not great, but good. He's a solid, all-around player, much like Jared Johnson. He may not "wow" you very often, but he's not going to have you yelling "crap," either.

The defense in some ways played better last year when Reed was out, imo, because Zbikowski didn't freelance. Don't take that wrong: I wouldn't want Zibby out there over Reed, but he made the decisions of the rest of the secondary easier because they knew where he would be every play.

Pollard did have a nice deflection in the second half when the Texans were still in striking distance. So, he blew one play and made a nice play. He's not very good in pass coverage, but he's not a complete liability. I think he's better than Landry, who seemed to often have the best seat in the house for big plays by the other team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Count me among those who doesn't see what all the hype is about when it comes to "Zibby". I much prefer having Pollard in the game. He complements Ed Reed perfectly.
    Much like Dawan Landry did. But folks ran him out of town because of his poor coverage skills. I don't understand all the hype around Pollard. He's an average safety that is in the right situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Crean N Crimson View Post
    Pollard made the game sealing play against the Texans, and is one of the best tacklers on the team. He may have made a mistake in coverage on that one play, but ultimately, it didn't matter.
    ^^^
    This

Pollard guessed incorrectly and the Ravens got burned. It happens.

Look at it this way for years Ed left the corners out to dry gambling and guessing wrong yet he's not a liability in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    ^^^
    This

Pollard guessed incorrectly and the Ravens got burned. It happens.

Look at it this way for years Ed left the corners out to dry gambling and guessing wrong yet he's not a liability in coverage.
    Exactly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Much like Dawan Landry did. But folks ran him out of town because of his poor coverage skills. I don't understand all the hype around Pollard. He's an average safety that is in the right situation.
    Dwan Landry before his injury was a different player than the one we saw after his injury. I don't recall him being "run out of town" at all. He got a great offer from the Jags that was more than what the Ravens wanted to pay him. Pollard is exactly the thumper that the Ravens need next to Ed Reed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Dwan Landry before his injury was a different player than the one we saw after his injury. I don't recall him being "run out of town" at all. He got a great offer from the Jags that was more than what the Ravens wanted to pay him. Pollard is exactly the thumper that the Ravens need next to Ed Reed.
    In certain schemes.

Against a pass happy team that run multiple WR sets he's not the best option ultimately.

That's why they have those dime and nickel flex packages that feature Pollard in the box and Zibby lined up deep.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

It's been common knowledge all along that Pollard isn't great in coverage skills. That concerned me when his signing was originally announced, and to a degree it still does. But one advantage Pollard seems to have over Dawan Landry is solid tackling -- an essential but often overlooked fundamental.

Quote Originally Posted by rmthawk64 View Post
    While he may be a liability in coverage I still prefer him being on the field than Zibby. Zibby is invisible out there. He might not make many mistakes, but you never hear his name called. He's never making plays. He does nothing well. He's just average at everything.

At least Pollard is out there trying to make things happen and hitting people in the mouth. Plus, Zibby isn't THAT much better than Pollard in coverage to be honest.
    Invisibility is what you want from a defensive back...it means QBs aren't throwing at him. It doesn't mean he isn't making plays, it means he is keeping the other team from making plays in his direction.
    Last edited by goodandfast; 10-18-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Zbikowski is the more complete safety. Pollard is more useful in certain situations though.