Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

OT - My Dress Blues

For those of you who don't really know me, I've finished up my last tour with the Navy. I didn't retire and had planned on only doing this as a stepping stone, but I gotta tell you I'm kind of having a time with it. I don't really miss the politics, but I am already missing wearing the uniform. It's weird to be indoctrinated like that, but. I guess I was.

Has anyone else here had difficulty getting out? How did you deal with it?. It doesn't have anything to do with my job...I guess I am just kind of feeling out of sorts with not having the shiny boots and the digi cams every day.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: OT - My Dress Blues

Congrats-

Former Air Force guy here.....the day I left I had a slightly hollow feeling. It wasn't about the uni but more about that huge family that I left behind. To this day I miss the military. I never had to fight but when I was "in" it was the best time of my life....still think about those times.

I suppose I didn't exactly answer your question.....I will say a lot of guys on this board are former/current service members...HR, Dade, Ravenous52, RavenJoe and many others....pardon my lack of memory guys....prolly several other folks.....:respect

Blog Entries

Haha, I went to a barber shop today and got a good military haircut. 0 on the sides/5 up top...blended fade.

I definitely miss the guys and the camaraderie, but it really meant a lot to me wearing the uniform. I don't think I've ever worn my dress whites or blues without getting a hair cut THAT day prior to putting on the uniform. It just felt disrespectful.

I dont know guys...sorry...I've had a bit to drink...just trying to get it all square in my head.

I never had the opportunity to serve (screwed up my left leg in a motorcycle accident before I came to realize I would have liked to) but I do think there are many comparable situations that people can understand.

All I can say is make it a point to go join the veterans group of your choice - keep the well earned connection with your service and make some new friends, friends who will likely better understand the feelings you have expressed here.

Good luck to you.

I had a tough time making the transition as well.

I was a Military Policeman in the Army for 12 years (4 active, 8 National Guard) and I did miss the uniform, hanging out with the guys, etc.

After a while, for me at least, you start appreciating your new found freedom and not having to wipe the noses of those who reported to you. I tried the veterans group thing but it didn't stick. I never saw combat and those groups seem to be filled with vets that did so I couldn't contribute 90% of the time.

You'll be ok. What you're going through is normal.

Going to have to move this thread eventually, FYI

Blog Entries

I know how you feel. I've been in the Army now for 14yrs and running. I got out after my initial 3yr tour and felt the same way you did. I stayed out for about a year then I rejoined because I did miss it and have been in ever since.

To make a long story short I have both active and reserve time during the 14yrs with 7each. I just decided to do an active reserve tour which will start in December and I'll be up in Philly (or right outside of it). I don't know it's just something that you kind of hate when your in or don't think that you would miss it, but once you stop you do end up missing it. It's weird.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

For all of you who have served, I give my sincere thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    For all of you who have served, I give my sincere thanks.
    You can start by having a larger copy of your avatar for all to see...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    I know how you feel. I've been in the Army now for 14yrs and running. I got out after my initial 3yr tour and felt the same way you did. I stayed out for about a year then I rejoined because I did miss it and have been in ever since.

To make a long story short I have both active and reserve time during the 14yrs with 7each. I just decided to do an active reserve tour which will start in December and I'll be up in Philly (or right outside of it). I don't know it's just something that you kind of hate when your in or don't think that you would miss it, but once you stop you do end up missing it. It's weird.
    I was thinking about going into the reserves as an officer.

Problem is my profession deploys A LOT as a reservist unit. I don't have a problem deploying, but they generally are in theater 3-6 months a year with quite some regularity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I had a tough time making the transition as well.

I was a Military Policeman in the Army for 12 years (4 active, 8 National Guard) and I did miss the uniform, hanging out with the guys, etc.

After a while, for me at least, you start appreciating your new found freedom and not having to wipe the noses of those who reported to you. I tried the veterans group thing but it didn't stick. I never saw combat and those groups seem to be filled with vets that did so I couldn't contribute 90% of the time.

You'll be ok. What you're going through is normal.
    Did you look at the American Legion or something? My wife's grandfather was in the Navy from WW2 (sub duty out of Pearl Harbor...talk about scary shit) and he joined the American Legion. He was telling me that I should definitely look into that.

I've done some cool stuff while in the Navy, but I've never been shot at, so I may be in the same boat as you.

Going to have to move this thread eventually, FYI
    I understand and I figured as much.

Blog Entries

Can"t say I know how you feel, but I can say that most of my guys usually regret getting out and have problems transitioning into the civilian life style (slowing down) especially where I come from. It's non-stop competative nature is un-matched. The biggest thing is to have a good plan for the transition.

RLTW!