Blog Entries

The generalization of the Ravens struggles against the Cover 2

Good Morning, Afternoon and Evening to all,

I do not think that the previous issues with the Ravens offense, pertaining to the cover 2 defensive scheme, are as generic as the term 'Cover 2'. There have been plenty of teams, other than the Bengals and the Colts (Two teams noted for their ability to cause problems for the Ravens offense), that have run 'a' cover 2 form of defense. Every team in the league uses it at some point in any given game.

The issue may actually be the 'zone' cover 2 scheme. There are some offenses in the league who operate better when they are faced with man coverage. Then, there are some offenses in the league that function better when they are faced with zone coverage. Teams such as New England and Pittsburgh, have offenses that work better against the zone. New England uses timing routes in their 'West Coast' style of offense. The Steelers do a good job of using Heath Miller and Hines Ward to find vacant areas in the zone, while Ben Roethlisberger does a good job of locating those receivers, 'sitting down' in those areas.

Offenses, such as the Ravens and Packers, function better when they are faced with man coverage. Both offenses have quarterbacks who are more accurate while throwing in the intermediate-deep range, and who enjoy doing so. Both offenses now have multiple vertical threats at the wide receiver and tight end positions. The Ravens even like to spread Ray Rice out wide, as if he were a receiver, to take advantage of one-on-one mismatches he faces with linebackers. These two teams like to intimidate opposing defenses with their man power, sort of speak.

The only aspect of past Ravens offenses that has operated well in the zone cover 2 scheme has been the connection between Joe Flacco and Derrick Mason, because their favored out routes along the sideline usually near a vacated area. Although, there are not many of those along the sidelines when dealing with a zone cover 2 scheme.

There are two aspects of the Ravens offense that could improve, helping them fare better against the scheme. They now have players such as Lee Evans and Torrey Smith who can stretch the zone, making those vacant areas wider. That improvement is likely to happen more quickly than the next. The next is that they need to do a better job of 'sitting down' in the soft areas of the zone, rather than running through those areas. With Dennis Pitta and Anquan Boldin, I think that the Ravens can do this. It will, however, take some time.

The other aspect of facing the zone cover 2 scheme is running the football. Whether the Ravens have not run the ball enough (Cincinnati 10' and both Indianapolis playoff games) or have struggled to run the ball effectively (Most of the 2010 season), they are now set up to where they can impose their will by running the football once again. Especially, once Ben Grubbs returns from injury.

The reality is that Joe Flacco, who has shown his youth with the way he is taking in his new privileges, and the Ravens coaching staff, are simply going to have to be more patient when facing the scheme. If they scheme better against it and are more patient with it, we could see the offense begin to improve against some of the better zone cover 2 schemes around the league.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 10-12-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: The generalization of the Ravens struggles against the Cover 2

Its not as simple as saying that flacco can't read the cover 2. He struggles against the zone when the opponent is successful getting pressure with their front 4. Flacco needs to make quicker reads and cameron has to call plays that get the ball out quicker.

I think the issue for the O is just facing defenses that can get pressure with the front 4. Those teams can mix up the coverages and confuse the Qb and WRs.
    When the Ravens could not block the OLBs for the Steelers they got beat down and Troy and Co made a lot of plays in coverage or blitzing. Indy had a similar formula but was much softer vs the run and could be pounded out of the pure cover 2 looks.

One thing you need to be able to do along with pound the rock and force the 8th man up, is get vertical with TEs and WRs. Press cover 2 is a lot harder to beat than the off coverage deeper version which is more like a prevent defense.

Most scheme issues come back down to matchups. How many to stop the run and how many needed to rush the QB.

:T2:

You have to have a balanced passing attack against the cover 2.

You aren't going to beat it by running all your WR's 15+ yards down the field...it's a defense built to take away big passing plays.

You have to be smart and accurate with the ball and be willing to take 5-7 yard passes to work the ball down the field.

Unfortunately, Cam seems to want every pass play to either go for 30 yards or a dump off to Rice.

Blog Entries

agreed with Jeremiah above - pressure with a 4 man front gives this offense fits.

There are seams in the Cover2 that can be exploited and it's pretty common knowledge but it takes accuracy. I've seen Joe being very cautious about throwing into these tight spaces and i won't argue with that - better than a pick6.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Its not as simple as saying that flacco can't read the cover 2. He struggles against the zone when the opponent is successful getting pressure with their front 4. Flacco needs to make quicker reads and cameron has to call plays that get the ball out quicker.
    That combination (zone and great pressure from the front 4) propelled the Giants to a Super Bowl victory against an undefeated Patriots team.

IOW, it's a problem for every offense.

Flacco and Co. do need to do better against it, but the best place to start is with the O-line keeping the pressure down. Next is scheming to have more quick passes, screens, and draws.

I saw Megatron beat the cover 2 deep but the lions kept two TE's in to block. I know we don't have that type of wr on our roster but if flacco has the time and is patient I think Evan or smith can get behind the safety too. The key is taking what the d fense gives you and running them out the cover 2. I am no OC but I think if we run the ball we can beat the cover 2 by drawing the safety up with play action passes and screens to slow the pass rush. JMO
    Last edited by blacknpurplepain; 10-12-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    pressure with a 4 man front gives this offense fits.
    It gives *every* offense fits.

9. Re: The generalization of the Ravens struggles against the Cover 2

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    . cameron has to call plays that get the ball out quicker.
    for real, for real!

The coaches were talking about shorter routes to improve Joe's completion percentage. I think they are going to a shorter route / quicker release this game to battle the cover 2 / cover 2 zone.

I think some swing passes, screens or bubble screens will be important this week. That and grinding out the run. Like I tell my Pop Warner kids, I'll take 4 yard carries all game long.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    It gives *every* offense fits.
    :word. I think a part of Joe's problem was the lack of personnel to attack the cover two. With our new deep threats on the out side I really want to see Dickson used to exploit the area above the linebackers between the two safeties. When the safeties begin to cheat toward the middle, take a shot down the sideline.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt