Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Best thing I've read on the play-calling in the Jets game

Van Valkenburg is terrific, I look forward to his "5 things we learned" column every week. He has one for the bye week, posted yesterday:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,2059796.story

His point #3 speaks directly to the play-calling. He's right. It's not just about winning the game in front of us, at least not when we've got a commanding lead (like in the Jets and Rams games). It's also about building an offense, which has three rookie WRs, 2 second-year TEs, new starters at LT and WR, etc. Cam has to invest some passing plays early this season, for us to be any good in the latter half of the season. Even if the game situation seems to call for something different.

Great piece.
    Last edited by JimZipCode; 10-11-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Best thing I've read on the play-calling in the Jets game

How many Sun clicks per month are we now allowed? Makes it tough to read anything there.

15 per month.

4. Re: Best thing I've read on the play-calling in the Jets game

Quote Originally Posted by KVV1 View Post
    15 per month.
    I think TL should crack the piggybank and bring you over to 24x7 as a full time writer. You wouldn't have to deal w/ the corporate BS that seems to found its way into the Sun over a decade ago. This way you can quit the Sun and do what David Simon wishes he could do. Resign and then walk out of the building w/ two middle fingers in the air belting Sinatra's "I did it my way".

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    I think TL should crack the piggybank and bring you over to 24x7 as a full time writer. You wouldn't have to deal w/ the corporate BS that seems to found its way into the Sun over a decade ago. This way you can quit the Sun and do what David Simon wishes he could do. Resign and then walk out of the building w/ two middle fingers in the air belting Sinatra's "I did it my way".
    No comment.

#tryingtosupresschuckle

#tryingnottogetfired

Quote Originally Posted by KVV1 View Post
    15 per month.
    Oh hey dude, is that you? Nice. I enjoy your column.

Unhappy Re: Best thing I've read on the play-calling in the Jets game

Sorry to throw a wet blanket over how you all are getting around the Sun's 15 click limit, but I am deleting all those posts out of concern that it may be crossing the line.

:(
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

8. Re: Best thing I've read on the play-calling in the Jets game

Positively agree on the playcalling comments.

You can't just grind it out anymore. You need to develop a consistent passing game to win and keep pressure on the other team. There have been a ton of comebacks this season due to teams blowing big leads and I don't expect that change.

9. Re: Best thing I've read on the play-calling in the Jets game

I got to the end of the piece, and thought "where's page 2??" Scrolled back up, the headline is "3 things I've learned ..." :grbac:

P.S. There is such a thing as over-moderation

I read KVV's "5 Things" (or, well, 3 :D) earlier this morning, and #3 stuck out to me as well. Totally unreasonable to expect us to be able to adapt to a variety of offensive situations in the playoffs if we've just been practicing a few styles in all these unrealistic blowout wins. Cam isn't the greatest OC but he is between a rock and a hard place.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

The passing offense will need work if it is to become what it is capable of becoming. It is clear that the Ravens can run the ball on most teams. However, it will not do them as much good if they focus on that, only to come across a game situation later on that dictates passing. That is what they are preparing for and that is good coaching.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Ground and pound just doesn't work in today's NFL. It has it's place, but not as your primary attack

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!