Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: Lardarius Webb only in his 3rd year at Cornerback.

now that webb is 100% healthy, it looks like he is starting to tap into that potential we saw flashes of during his rookie season. i think we can give him most of the credit for shutting mike wallace down the last couple seasons, he does a a great job shadowing him and staying with him on the deep routes. he's good against the run and on the blitz, pretty versatile for a smaller corner. i think he is going to flourish in pagano's system.

crazy how the secondary could potentially become a great strength down the stretch. if carr and smith can get healthy, we will have a great a stable of cb's. williams has been solid and should only get better, webb is playing great...depending on jimmy smith's progression and how quickly he can find his place in the system, and a healthy carr?!?! we could have 4 "starter quality" corners on the squad come december-january.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If you are going to limit NFL history to the past 5 or 6 years then you're not going to find too many examples of anything different.
    Other than Ronnie Lott, can you name a good to great corner who was switched to safety IN HIS PRIME?

I can't think of any and frankly, just because one guy did it 20 years ago doesn't mean its feasible for Webb to do it now. Heck it doesn't matter if dozens of guys have done between then and now, it makes absolutely no sense for Webb to move to a position where he'd have to gain at least 15 to 20 pounds just to compete.

Jimmy Smith is probably the only corner on our team who has the size to play safety at the pro level. Why don't we table this whole discussion for about 7 years and then we can have it about him.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Wasn't Darren Sharper a corner prior to playing FS?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think theyd definitely want him to bulk up some if hes playing safety. 20-30 lbs sounds about right for webb, putting him around 205lbs, but thats a lot to gain.

Believe me, I realize Ed Reed loves this game. as does Ray Lewis. and as does every player in the Hall of Fame. They all have to retire some time and Reed has said he doesnt plan on playing past 35. thats 2 more years tops and thats if his neck injury stays the same. Itll be a sad day, but its coming. Hes recently been quoted talking about coaching more and more. He'll stay around the game but wont be a player for much longer. I Hope he becomes a secondary coach for us much like he was when he was on the PUP last year.
    Ed Reed has always been a great, great playmaker for the Ravens. But, much of that was instinct and educated guessing. The second can be taught to the right pupils, but not the first.

Would having him as a secondary coach be kind of like having Favre as a QB coach?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JStruds View Post
    Ed Reed has always been a great, great playmaker for the Ravens. But, much of that was instinct and educated guessing. The second can be taught to the right pupils, but not the first.

Would having him as a secondary coach be kind of like having Favre as a QB coach?
    I think youre underestimating his onfield coaching. He tells players where to be and whats coming. He can teach people to read offenses and break down tape just like he does now. Im pretty sure Webb commented last year that Reed was a huge help with his coaching those first 6 weeks. Instincts cant be taught, but instinct comes with knowledge and that can be.

Im still not convinced Favre completely understands the quarterback position... part of the reason he also leads the nfl in interceptions all time, so no its not the same. I understand your point, in great players dont always make great coaches typically, but i believe reed will be a great position coach, much like Mike Singletary was a great player and good LB coach.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JStruds View Post

NO. Favre cares about Favre. Ed would work to improve the team.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think youre underestimating his onfield coaching. He tells players where to be and whats coming. He can teach people to read offenses and break down tape just like he does now. Im pretty sure Webb commented last year that Reed was a huge help with his coaching those first 6 weeks. Instincts cant be taught, but instinct comes with knowledge and that can be.

Im still not convinced Favre completely understands the quarterback position... part of the reason he also leads the nfl in interceptions all time, so no its not the same. I understand your point, in great players dont always make great coaches typically, but i believe reed will be a great position coach, much like Mike Singletary was a great player and good LB coach.
    Good points. He did seem to enjoy sideline coaching last year while he was on the PUP.

I wonder how - as a coach - he would handle a CB making a poor lateral after an INT?:D