Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Mason in the doghouse in NY

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The best part is that we're starting to see why Rex's "system" doesn't always work.

The last two years, the brash, ego filled team has worked because they kept winning at the right times. So they continued to handpick the guys who would take big games, look like superstars, have big egos.

Now that they're struggling, you see some of the good vibes going away, and true natures are reeling their ugly heads. Mason is starting to act like he did at his worst in Baltimore. Calling for the ball, running his mouth... If they go into any more of a tailspin, I wonder if you'll start to see the divide like Billick had here, where you'll have one unit ahead of the other. In this case, I'm not really sure which unit could claim the better performance though.

Rex made comments before the game that "Belichick was the champ, but I'll take my swing at him". It was only a year or so ago when he said "I'm not here to kiss the rings (of Belichick)". Time is causing him to have to start eating his words.
    Luckily the NY media will recognize that the Jets were very successful the last 2 years and will be patient as they get off to a slow start this year. I'm sure they will appreciate Rex's bluster even though the results on the field fall well short of the empty promises.

Blog Entries

The alleged actions of Derrick Mason are not surprising. The alleged reaction by Rex Ryan is not surprising. The irony of the entire situation is not surprising.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    Luckily the NY media will recognize that the Jets were very successful the last 2 years and will be patient as they get off to a slow start this year. I'm sure they will appreciate Rex's bluster even though the results on the field fall well short of the empty promises.
    You're right. It's going to take a while before Rex is really slammed. He's done too much for an organization that has a real inferiority complex. Rex can afford a bad season if that's what happens

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You're right. It's going to take a while before Rex is really slammed. He's done too much for an organization that has a real inferiority complex. Rex can afford a bad season if that's what happens
    I think you read that post a little differently than I did. Rex is going to be drawn and quartered by game 12. Do you see any way for that team to get better next year? I don't. It's now or never, and it looks like "now" was last year.

Blog Entries

I got flamed for bashing Rex's coaching style. Like others have said, the only reason it worked in past years is because they are winning. Now, I can see the Jets imploding as the season goes on. Sanchez is getting exposed big time, they can't run the ball, and their defense has gotten soft against the run. They already have Joe Namath calling out Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I think you read that post a little differently than I did. Rex is going to be drawn and quartered by game 12. Do you see any way for that team to get better next year? I don't. It's now or never, and it looks like "now" was last year.
    Haha you're right, I was going for sarcasm there. The NY media loves all that talk when they're doing well but miss the playoffs for a year or two and they'll be killing him.

Blog Entries

I thought that I sensed sarcasm. lol.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

For me, the biggest head scratcher with Rex was calling a TO to yell at a ref.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    When Mason was delivering on the field, his mouth was tolerable. Now that he can't go anymore (and couldn't really last year, either), his mouth is more trouble than it's worth. He thinks he's still 30 and should be the #1 guy, and everyone else but him knows he's not and shouldn't be. The Ravens new this, and that's why they cut bait this offseason. He hurt the team last year when he started moaning about not getting the ball enough. Flacco tried to placate him, he started getting balls that should've gone to Boldin, and the offense suffered a drop in productivity. Doesn't make him a bad guy, and doesn't diminish the efforts he gave the Ravens from '05-'09. It just is what it is.
    His mouth is still 30, his body and skills are not. And when he went to the Jets he said he was told he wasn't the #1 receiver on the team. So exactly what was he expecting in terms of how many balls were going to come his way??

It's becoming clearer to me that releasing Mason has been the plan since the end of the season, whether Ozzie would ever admit to that or not. And while I thought he was such a tough player, and he did a lot for the Ravens no doubt, I got tired of his mouth.

So another interesting question. Considering that Mason said the Jets gave him the best chance to win a Super Bowl, if the Jets don't make the playoffs, does he finally retire?

Blog Entries

Derrick, it's over man. You had a great run. If your legs worked as good as your mouth, you'd still be balling. But the reality is you are too young to die, but old enough to go away.

Blog Entries

I still think he could move the chains for the right team. He's tough as hell, good route runner and good hands. But he seems to be struggling with the diminished role on the Jets

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I still think he could move the chains for the right team. He's tough as hell, good route runner and good hands. But he seems to be struggling with the diminished role on the Jets
    He's playing 4th fiddle behind, among others, a guy who is coming out of jail and is struggling to stay in front of a rookie.

Ever think the skills are simply not there anymore?