Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ray Rice's Career Goal

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    He is the checkdown option. He's the running back. Majority of all nfl RB's is the checkdown option. He avg 15 a catch but thats because of his YAC. Must of his completions his no more this 5 yrds from the LOS.
    ok. so?

Blog Entries

RB does not always equal the checkdown option. They have, I'm sure, designed plays to create space for him to take a short throw and do some work with it. No, they aren't really sending him on 10-15 yard out patterns, but with his size, why would you?

Again, he's got similar abilities to Marshall Faulk. In the Greatest Show On Turf, you had Issac Bruce and Torry Holt on the outsides. Those were two very accomplished WRs, and they combined for about 1800-1900 receiving yards in 1999, the year that Faulk amassed 2300+ yards from scrimmage.

Rice has actually been pretty close the last two years. 1776 yards last year, 2041 the year before. This year, his avg reception is about 6 yards longer and his rushing average is a little better than last year's numbers.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

From wikipedia...

In American football, a checkdown pass is when the quarterback attempts to complete a short, accurate pass to a running back or tight end as a last option when the wide receivers are covered. The term means that the quarterback has "checked down" his list of receivers. Because the quarterback does not look for the checkdown pass until after he has scanned for open wide receivers down the field for about 3–4 seconds, the defensive line has had time to enter the backfield and so a checkdown pass is often thrown in the face of pressure from the defensive line.
    Notice, to be a checkdown, it has to be close to the LoS AND be the "last option". I can bet on most plays, Rice is not Joe's last read. That was a knock we all had a year or so ago. His progression seemed to be "Mason/Boldin, Rice, Heap, other WRs". Rice was almost always the throw, and it wasn't because Joe had been sitting there waiting for others to get open. It's because VERY few teams seem to respect the threat of Rice as a receiver. It's starting to happen though, the Jets were covering him early. Without the 52 yard, busted tackle reception, they would've bottled him up pretty well
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    He is the checkdown option. He's the running back. Majority of all nfl RB's is the checkdown option. He avg 15 a catch but thats because of his YAC. Must of his completions his no more this 5 yrds from the LOS.
    Have you been charting it? I've seen a lot of long passes to Rice this year which is not something we've seen in the past. It doesn't matter what the majority of all NFL RBs are doing because here they are doing something different. One of the reason why Flacco's completion percentage has been so low is that they aren't using check downs very often. Watch the games again and it should be clear.

The key to him getting 1000 yds receiving is longer catches, not just more. As mentioned above, they're getting the ball to him more downfield, using him as a receiver instead of an outlet. If he does this, more power to him reaching his goal.

If they feed him the ball 95 times just over the line of scrimmage because the WRs can't get open, then that will be bad on multiple levels. It means the offense is probably sputtering, it means he's getting too many hits, etc.

I know this is off topic but do you think Ray will ever break Jamal's Raven all time rushing yards and rushing tds?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D-RavedUp5-27-52-20 View Post
    I know this is off topic but do you think Ray will ever break Jamal's Raven all time rushing yards and rushing tds?
    rushing yards No... all purpose yards yes... TDs yes. but 1st they need to resign him to a long term deal

Blog Entries

It really hinges on Ray's health. Jamal amassed 7801 yards on 1822 rushing attempts in 7 seasons. Rice has 3310 yards on 734 rushing attempts in 3.25 seasons. Ray has a higher average yards per carry, and if you average his yards per season, he would be on pace to beat it in 4.5 seasons. So if you combine the .5 season with the fact that we're only at the quarter mark this year, Ray would only need 3 more years to best Jamal's record.

If Ray can keep himself on the field, I would think he can break it, but if he's talking about trying to become this jack of all trades back, might be scarificing years at the end of his career.

I would hope that his career goal is to win Super Bowls.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

He has a very similar skill set as Marshall Faulk and Marshall had a very long career. One thing he does even better than Faulk is avoid the big hit. He's much more elusive and low to the ground so he doesn't get hit hard often. A guy like Steven Jackson takes a lot more punishment that Ray does. He is freakishly strong and durable. The only injury I remember him having is the ankle sprain his rookie season. I think he will accomplish his goal and maybe more than once before all is said and done.