Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Offensive Line Model and Notes vs. Jets-- 10/2/11

I haven't chimed in in the past but I respect the time and effort you put into your informative and enjoyable posts.
    Michael is certainly a puzzle. Until pushed in his life Michael was an underachiever. I wonder if he doesn't need someone to push him again.
    Anyone have his adopted moms phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Film, where are you finding the Gamebook? I used to look at it on NFL.com a lot. Now with the new layout, I don't see it. I can find the play-by-play, but not the old-style Gamebook.

Thanks
    They make it hard to find. There is no direct link.

You have go to www.nfl.com/scores

Then pick the week. Then click on the GAME you're looking for, which by default brings up the GAME REWIND (video) page. Under the "scoreboard" to the left, click on the GAME INFO tab, and you'll see the GAME ACCESS window appear below it and to the right. There you'll see the download link for the GAME BOOK.

Geeze, Jim, I think this was pretty GAME OBVIOUS to everyone else.;)

I can't wait until Grubbs rejoins this offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I'm not sure what you're saying here.

It seems to me that attacking the safeties and linebackers in coverage is a good plan against the Jets, with Revis & Cromartie. I am pleased they went that way; would have expected you to be too.

Or are you saying that the completion percentage should be higher, on those kinds of throws? That I would agree with.
    You've got it here. I was saying it was a good plan, bad results.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Film, you make all of us sound like shills for you (LOL). All we can say is great work," but it's true. Thanks!

What is catching my eye is the fact that Grubbs is very important to our O line; Oher seems to be a growing problem we might need to address next year; and that we can get quite a bit better at C. Since you have studied Gurode at G and Birk at C, can you make any prediction at how good Gurode would be at C?
    I think Gurode will be in the pool of choices for next year. This is probably a case where his play for the rest of the season will determine whether they make a play for him before the draft or wait until after.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    FILM, first off thanx for the in-depth analysis. It is so appreciated.

• Dickson was targeted 12 times with just 4 completions. While Flacco wasn’t always on target, Dickson bears a share of the blame with poor hands on some of Joe’s best throws. The examples are his drop of a slightly high throw (Q2, 5:30), his attempt to make a 1-handed catch by the left sideline (Q2, 14:16), and his drop on Joe’s perfect touch pass by the left sideline on which he could not maintain possession as he hit the ground (Q2, 11:25).

While I know that Dickson is the more "stretch the field" type, would it help the Ravens offense if Pitta got more PT and targets? He's not as dynamic, but may have better hands... Bc
    Until Evans returns, I'd say it's important to have Dickson on the field as much as possible. He's the Ravens #2 vertical threat. Even so, there are still lots of opportunities for 2 TE sets.

I think there is value in some rotation of Pitta and Dickson. The player covering the TE in the base defense (LB or safety) rarely leaves the field, so that's a player you can wear down on a long drive. Next time you are at a game, look at the defense towards the end of a long drive and see who has their hands on their hips. That's a good indicator of fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I know you probably don't pay much attention to OL play when the Jets were on the field, but honestly, how much do you attribute our defensive dominance to Mangold's place on the bench? In my eyes, he could've walked up to Tannenbaum after the game and said "we need to discuss my contract, I think I should get more money" and be totally in the right. Is their OL just struggling at the other spots, or does Mangold's place as the anchor on their OL just show up THAT much?
    Mangold's absence was huge. They essentially, dropped the best center in the game for a player who is below the typical replacement level. Then they lined him up against an assortment of talented Ravens DLs and sprinkled in some of the pressure from the Ravens very experienced inside linebackers (specifically Lewis and Ayanbadejo).

A healthy Mangold would have been challenged, but the Jets OL would have allowed fewer than 11 QHs. I don't think it meant the difference in the game by any stretch.

Good job Film, love reading your stuff!
    ::Flacco Superstar::

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    A healthy Mangold would have been challenged, but the Jets OL would have allowed fewer than 11 QHs. I don't think it meant the difference in the game by any stretch.
    I think it did mean the difference in the game, in this sense: that it kept the Jets from being competitive.

Ravens might have won anyway. They are very tough at home. But the Jets weren't even in the game, and that was because of Mangold's absence.

I would not expect another laugher, if we meet again in the postseason and Mangold's available. Not that I think the Jets are going to make the playoffs – another loss today buries them, I think – but still.