Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Yesterday's 105.7 Interview with Ozzie

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    1. If they use the $7.1M this year to sign players to extensions , it will be gone and won't be able to be used next year. It won't lessen what they will have to spend next year or create more cap space next year.

2. With the new Salary Cap formula, there's no way to tell what the Cap will be next year. If it goes as the owners would hope, the annual increases won't be as drastic as in the past.

3. There is only a $1.5M exemption next year, the $3M exemption was for this year only.
    I realize if they use the 7.1 million this season won't count against next years cap, but it will reduce what they will need to use against next years cap, in essence having more money to spend next season to spend than the would if they didnt have the 7.1 million, that money will be spent. It will in essence increase what they have to spend next year. As far as next years cap, if the standard 6% increase occurs which it will it would increase to 128 million, plus it will likely be higher based on the new TV contract just agreed to, the Monday night deal just increased that. I am know capilogist, but freinds with Denvers GM Xander with belong to the same CC, he is a great guy, he talks about how the whole system works, but don't blame him for the Denver fiasco that way McDaniels fault mainly. Ps, Denver will be clearing house soon, to save cash, and add picks for the future.

I will threw in my couple of cents. I will not include the Cap in my opinions.

I think Ozzie will offer Grubbs an above average contract for a LG but whether that will be enough is the question. Grubbs could definitely go the way of Chris Chester and Jason Brown and get overpaid by another team.

I think McKinnie is around for at least another 2 years.

I agree that Ray retires when (not if) we win the Superbowl this year. I don't think Ed Reed will given what he has said. I think he stays around for another 2-3 years. Of course this is assuming he doesn't have any setbacks with his neck this year.

I am not sure what is going to happen at C. Birk is playing well considering his age and injury status during the offseason. If he plays well the remainder of the year and he wants to come back I wouldn't be surprised if the Ravens re-sign him. He may want to retire though based on his injuries, especially when we win the Superbowl.

I think we draft an interior lineman in the 1st round next year. You can usually get a starting interior lineman at the end of the 1st round (being that we will have the #32 pick).
    I root for the Steelers; I root for their plane to go down.

I'd rather be dead than pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I realize if they use the 7.1 million this season won't count against next years cap, but it will reduce what they will need to use against next years cap, in essence having more money to spend next season to spend than the would if they didnt have the 7.1 million, that money will be spent. It will in essence increase what they have to spend next year. As far as next years cap, if the standard 6% increase occurs which it will it would increase to 128 million, plus it will likely be higher based on the new TV contract just agreed to, the Monday night deal just increased that.
    1. I'm not sure how you can say the "standard" 6% increase, when next year will be the first year of the new salary cap. What was standard under the old deal isn't relevant any longer. If the owners got it their way, the yearly increases should be less - that's what the whole opt out was about.

2. Signing guys to extensions this year will not necessarily increase what they have to spend next year. In fact, re-signing a pending FA like Grubbs or Ray Rice - while a good thing - will decrease what they have to spend next year because it will add another player to the "signed" list - and at a decent chunk of cap space. Same with Flacco. Given the size of deal he'll likely get, an extension for him will likely increase his cap number next year.

For a guy like Ed Reed, yes, it may reduce his cap number for next year, but not substantially.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    I will threw in my couple of cents. I will not include the Cap in my opinions.

I think Ozzie will offer Grubbs an above average contract for a LG but whether that will be enough is the question. Grubbs could definitely go the way of Chris Chester and Jason Brown and get overpaid by another team.

I think McKinnie is around for at least another 2 years.

I agree that Ray retires when (not if) we win the Superbowl this year. I don't think Ed Reed will given what he has said. I think he stays around for another 2-3 years. Of course this is assuming he doesn't have any setbacks with his neck this year.

I am not sure what is going to happen at C. Birk is playing well considering his age and injury status during the offseason. If he plays well the remainder of the year and he wants to come back I wouldn't be surprised if the Ravens re-sign him. He may want to retire though based on his injuries, especially when we win the Superbowl.

I think we draft an interior lineman in the 1st round next year. You can usually get a starting interior lineman at the end of the 1st round (being that we will have the #32 pick).

Ditto on drafting the linemen - the best one left on the board in the first round, then another
    CB.

We are so deep every where else.