Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Super Bowl or Playoffs Every Year.

Maybe he should have been more competitive in English class...I'm just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by SykesvilleRavensFan View Post
    I think maybe you are the winner of this translation contest!
    Thanks! Now do you see what the 2nd grade can do for you? I've worked hard on my english skills, (especially spelling!) and I'm close to a 3rd grade level now. So, "mommathurgoesthatman" take note!

Blog Entries

If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

you can't ask for anymore than to be in the hunt every year. you do that and eventually you could/should win one.

In reality if you're competitive year after year it increases your chances of winning a Super Bowl.

If I could somehow choose between winnning a Super Bowl infrequently and not bieng competitive inbetween or being a contender every year and not winning a Super Bowl I'd honestly choose the latter, provided I could then erase the fact that I made such a choice from my memory.

I'm sure many will disagree, but as a fan I follow this team every year. Long periods of irrelevance are demoralizing (see Camden Yards whenever the Yankess or Red Sox aren't in town). I like rooting for a team when I can at least believe they have a chance at a championship (hence the need to erase my own memory).

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got
    :word

Blog Entries

Of course as fans we're going to be disappointed from making it into the playoffs and then losing a game or two into it and not getting to the Super Bowl.

However, only 12 teams make it to the playoffs. 20 do not.

As the old saying goes: You have to walk before you can run.

Talk to a Bills fan, or Lions fan, or a Raiders fan. Those teams haven't sniffed the playoffs in a very long time.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Wink Re: Super Bowl or Playoffs Every Year.

I'm happy with the Ravens just the way they have been -- ever since Bisciotti's money was infused into the Ravens organization, starting with the 1999 season:

• 1 Super Bowl title
    • In playoff contention in December in 10 of 12 seasons
    • In playoffs 7 of 12 seasons
    • 9-6 playoff record

Sure, I'd rather have had the last dozen Super Bowl titles; however, the above record, which is is among the best in the NFL's recent history, makes me a very satisfied Ravens fan.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    you can't ask for anymore than to be in the hunt every year. you do that and eventually you could/should win one.
    Bingo...BingoooooOOOoooo!

Blog Entries

The real question here isn't which you'd rather have. EVERYONE would rather have a SB.

The question is, let's say John Harbaugh does something nuts like going to the playoffs 6-7 straight years, and manages a winning record in the playoffs, but never advances to the SB.

Do you think you fire him and look for another coach because he can't make the jump? Or do you stick with a winning coach and just keep focusing our efforts on other upgrades? Basically, if Harbaugh continues to be an above average coach, but can't get to the SB, do you roll the dice and bring someone else in? The emphasis there is roll the dice, because bringing in someone new could result in no playoffs and regression, at least at first.

I might be one of the few that would say don't rock the boat. Same with Flacco. Unless he proves to be a middling QB who isn't in the top 10, don't swap him out. Because majority will be worse.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I've heard people ask this question quite a bit, and I'm not really sure what the value of the discussion is because both of those extremes are not very appealing. Winning a championship does not make up for your team being a doormat for over a decade, because as great as that championship feels, continually losing year after year after year is extremely depressing and really makes a fan base apathetic (see the Orioles). On the other hand, continually getting into the playoffs but falling short of a championship is also pretty painful and frustrating (see the pre-2005 Steelers). You want your team to be consistently competitive and at least occasionally win a championship. Anything else sucks.

Well there is another side we haven't looked at. As Raven's fans we're accustomed to a certain level of success that has spoiled us. A prime example is the Flacco thread that popped up Sunday night. Team record for offense, most points scored in a quarter, and through three weeks one of the most explosive offenses we've ever had. Some people are still not satisfied.

Then you have teams like the Bills and Lions. Their fans are going crazy over a 3-0 record and seeing the teams becoming relevant for the first time in years. A 3-0 record in for the Ravens would be nice but not unexpected. We're used to winning so we don't have those surprise years where we come out of nowhere to win championships.

Still, I prefer to constantly be in the playoffs, because that means we have a chance to win a Superbowl every year.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock