Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Sox!

Goodbye Sox!

It's been yet another long season, but who isn't thrilled by scoring 2 runs, with 2 outs already on the board in the bottom of the 9th right here in Baltimore to knock the Red Sox out of the playoffs! That just made my week!

I'm not.

Only illustrates to me how far the O's have fallen.

If Angelos isn't going anywhere, I'm almost to the point of saying to hell with the O's. Let him move the team and let's start over.

Re: Goodbye Sox!

The fact that Angelos seems destined to drag us along for years to come is old (very old) news. I'm resigned to that, but I won't stop bieng a fan. I'll still take joy in moments like last night.

Which I do not understand at all.

It's one thing to be a fan, but do you also go back to a restaurant time and time again because once upon a time they served decent food but for the last 14 years have served you nothing but dog poo?

Or how about watching the same bad movie over and over again?

Angelos is far from old news. He IS the news, every day he is the owner, he IS the reason the team has over a decade of bad outcomes.

I see where you're coming from, but a team isn't like a restaraunt or a movie. Those things don't represent my city. The Orioles represent Baltimore, and they're something that the local community is generaly united in supporting.

But my fanhood isn't completely immune to the fortunes of the team. I'm not buying any O's gear and I'm not investing a ton of time following the team. I'll go see them once or twice a year and check in on how they're doing from time-to-time. Until they convince me they are willing to get serious about fielding a good team (probably the day Angelos sells the team) I'm just a casual fan, but I'm still a fan and I still take joy in knocking the Red Sox out of the playoffs in dramatic fasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I see where you're coming from, but a team isn't like a restaraunt or a movie. Those things don't represent my city. The Orioles represent Baltimore, and they're something that the local community is generaly united in supporting.

But my fanhood isn't completely immune to the fortunes of the team. I'm not buying any O's gear and I'm not investing a ton of time following the team. I'll go see them once or twice a year and check in on how they're doing from time-to-time. Until they convince me they are willing to get serious about fielding a good team (probably the day Angelos sells the team) I'm just a casual fan, but I'm still a fan and I still take joy in knocking the Red Sox out of the playoffs in dramatic fasion.
    :word

Well said!!!

It felt great again to be an Orioles fan last night, if but for only one day.

last night was a great example of the difference between 26 and 27 outs. if bb games lasted 26 outs the Bosox would be in the playoffs today, and the Rays out. what a night.
    glad the O's could be in the spotlight (and winning) even if not moving on. like the Ravens, it's good to have national cameras in Baltimore. it's hard to put a dollar vallue on that sort of exposure.
    we had a winning September, right? how long since that's happened?
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    :word

Well said!!!

It felt great again to be an Orioles fan last night, if but for only one day.
    But what were you a fan of?

Mediocrity? Because that's the only way to describe a perennial loser.

Ok, so the hated Sox wee bounced. So what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Easy big fella.

I TOTALLY get where you are coming from. And I agree it shows how far the O's have fallen, 60's 70's and some of the 80's the AL playoffs went through B-More. I was emailing about that this morning.

I think because the O's are going to be who they are till Angelos sells or croaks,the fan base is trying to enjoy the little victories.

We just ended the season of a big rival, if we can't make the post season, neither can you. Misery loves company and I'll happily admit I am glad all those docuhe bags wearing their 15 year old beat up hat with a red "B" on it are sitting home watching the Rays and Yanks just like me.

I can't speak for Kyle, but I'm a fan of the Orioles simply because I love baseball, and they're my favorite team.

Same reason why you wouldn't abandon the Ravens after so many years.

Maybe you jumped off the wagon years ago, but don't chastise the folks that are still hanging on.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

I'm a fan of the Orioles because I'm a fan of Baltimore. That doesn't change if their great, mediocre, or terrible. While they're terrible, I'll take what I can get.

I'd abandon the Ravens if they were run by someone like Angelos.

It's not just a losing team. I can back a losing team because, as other have put it, I am a fan of the city as well.

Angelos is different. And maybe knowing folks who are close to him skews my thoughts, but he is a grade A prick that has ZERO interest in putting a quality product on the field. He sees the O's as a secondary business, one not worthy of his full attention and when he does stick his nose into it, he undermines.

He stole the essence of the team. He stole the underlying spirit.

They are not the Orioles anymore. They have the name, the records and the stadium. But they are not the team I grew up with and not because they are losing.

They are the baseball equivalent of the dying loved one who is no longer themselves. The body is still alive, but who they are left us a long time ago and there are no signs they are going to come back. Best to let them go and start over.