Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: OT- Portis is an idiot...

RavensNTerps is right. No one says shit when you see people taking out deer or setting traps on beavers on the hunting channel, yet I'm suppose to feel sorry for (if you were to listened to Losac) "fun loving" Pit Bulls. Get the F*^K out here. :hammer:
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

For the record, I don't agree with ANY form of animal cruelty.

But to ignore the hypocrisy here, is, quite honestly, naive.

There are competitions that reward killing wild animals...yet gambling on a dog fight is somehow MORE inhumane?

Neither is right. Both are wrong. But you can't bash someone for one without bashing other people for the other, or you miss the whole point.

Think of the speech from My Cousin Vinny.

wait two entirely different situations you are killing wild dear in one case in the other you are taking two animals and breading them to kill each other.

If your going to be a dumbass and not see the difference then you should become a vegan and not eta meat because thats scruel to.

i agree with Portis in this sense:

Affluent white people are given trophies and awards for shooting animals. Our vice president was on a hunting trip when he SHOT a man. Killing deer and other animals is not even the slightest bit frowned upon.

Yet you mention dogfighting and the place goes up in arms?

No, I don't support dog fighting. But i certianly do appreciate the double standard that exists.
    You make a great point. There's one thing that you overlooked though. Dog fighting is ILLEGAL! Hunting is not. Stop trying to compare something that is legal to something that is illegal. It really isn't that hard to figure out why people are making a big deal about dog fighting.

And spare me the whole race issue involving this. You're only bringing it up to try and make you're point stick out. Wether you're white,black, or purple, it doesn't matter. It's illegal either way.

I'm sure there are plenty of things that are in a similar discussion elsewhere. Such as smoking ciggarettes compared to smoking Marijauna. Yeah you can say they're pretty much the same thing, but one is leagal and the other is illegal. Just like hunting and dog fighting. You might not agree with it, but it is what it is. Laws are made for a reason, and they're meant to be followed.

Sure it's illegal. But i'm talking about morality over legality here.

But even so, ask yourself this:

If Brett Favre was found to be shooting deer out of season (and no, not for the yummy venison meat, just for hunting fun), do you think there'd be HALF as big a deal made?

RnT, there are differences besides the legal/illegal and besides issues of race and class.

*You* may not find these persuasive, but I assure you, there are many who do, and these reasons are perhaps some of the reasons dogfighting is illegal and hunting Bambi is not.

Dogfighting involves raising an otherwise domesticated animal from birth to be a killing machine.

Dogfighting involves not just the slaughter of dogs, but in the fight itself, the torture of each participant.

Hunting on the other hand does not require mistreatment or dangerous training of the deer from birth, or (when done well), torture of anything.

That said, if hunting was illegal, it wouldn't be the end of my world. The legal/illegal distinction is not a small thing to be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnterps
    If Brett Favre was found to be shooting deer out of season (and no, not for the yummy venison meat, just for hunting fun), do you think there'd be HALF as big a deal made?
    No. Because people don't have deer as pets. Some people hunt deer. But if Brett Favre shot a *dog*, or had dogfighting at *his* house, my answer without hesitation is *yes*.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Because, like it or not, it plays a big role in this.

And i'm not talking about people who hunt for their food. I'm talking about the people who hunt and then put the deer head on a wall in their office. They win trophies for that type of thing. And you're telling me its LESS cruel than dog fighting? How?
    I am not going to defend every form of hunting, but I really am sorry you can't see the difference between raising dogs to be killing machines so people can gamble on the outcome of fighting them, and someone shooting a wild deer.

Maybe some of the people who put the trophy heads on their walls ate the rest of the deer. Everyone I know who hunts does so for food. Where else do you draw the line? Do you eat beef or chicken? They are killed and eaten all the time. The difference is a bunch of thugs aren't sitting around gambling as the chickens peck and scratch each other to death. I don't see how any reasonable person can't see the difference there.

And no, sorry, but I don't see how race plays a factor here. If you are implying there is some prejudice against the dog fighting practice because most of those who participate are urban black males, then that's weak. I don't care if it's a bunch of nuns sitting around fighting dogs - it's still cruel and inhumane.

No, because he would not be breaking the law. Is ESPN supposed to run with that story? And I suppose your not-so-subtle point here is it would not be a big deal because Favre is white?

I dunno Losac, I thought the connection was that Brett Favre shows up at the dogfight in the new Bang cartoon linked in another thread.
    :brickwall:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I think it basically comes down to people with common sense (The rest of us) and those who don't (RavensNTerps, CrazyRaven, Portis, Vick).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion (RavensNTerps, CrazyRaven, Portis, Vick) but that doesn't mean they aren't wrong...

so hunting deer out of season isn't illegal now? Isn't that WHY they have designated hunting seasons for certain animals?

And, like I said, I'm not talking about the people who kill for food. Fine, whatever, with them. But i'd say that at least 75% of modern hunters do NOT eat what they hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    so hunting deer out of season isn't illegal now? Isn't that WHY they have designated hunting seasons for certain animals?

And, like I said, I'm not talking about the people who kill for food. Fine, whatever, with them. But i'd say that at least 75% of modern hunters do NOT eat what they hunt.
    LOL.

Still going with this huh?

"You'd say" 75%?

Do you have any proof? Any evidence? Or are you just making things up in this ridiculous argument.

The differences between hunting and dog fighting are so obvious that furthering this discussion is an insult to those who "get it".

PP

Well anyway, It looks like portis was right. it was much ado about nothing.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../1049/SPORTS01

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

SURRY, Va. -- Virginia prosecutor Gerald G. Poindexter said that investigators still lack solid evidence linking Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick -- or anybody, for that matter -- to dog fighting.

Last month, 66 dogs -- most of which were pit bulls -- were taken from a Surry County home owned by Vick. Officials, working on a search warrant, found exercise equipment, supplements used to build strength in dogs, and blood spatters on a wall, according to court documents. But that's not enough, Poindexter said.

Advertisement

"I know everybody is saying, 'When are those fools in Surry County going to get up off their butts and do something?' " Poindexter said. "But what are we going to do?"

He said there are no eyewitnesses to say there was dog fighting at the property. Until the search was conducted, the house was occupied by Vick's cousin, and Vick has said he was rarely there. Vick, a Newport News, Va., native and star player at Virginia Tech, has since sold the home on rural Moonlight Road for about half of its market value.

The 66 dogs are being housed in kennels in four counties, with Surry County taxpayers paying up to $25,000 for their care until the case is over.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--