Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Real...or Mirage...

It's possible Detroit will be the last team to be unbeaten (basically if GB lose next weekend).

three home game stretch for them: Chicago, 49ers and Falcons. It's possible they'll drop one of those before @Denver and @Chicago (10th week) following their bye.

Packers are at Georgia Dome next, though if they win that (v.possible considering the Falcons mediocre run of form), they've got Rams and at Vikings (should be wins) before their bye and then off to San Diego (which should be a great game). Week 10 home vs Vikings.

Midseason revisit.

Time to revisit this at midseason:

1. The Detroit Lions[REAL]

You could see this one coming. They've been building this team for years with constant high draft picks. Now it's all coming together. I wanted them to get a quality win, and beating the Vikings on the road, regardless of what the Vikings may or may not be, was impressive. Falling behind 20-0 at the half is a bit disconcerting, and shows that they aren't quite ready to take the division from the Pack, but I do think these guys are a solid wild card contender. Stafford is the real deal, and let's not talk about him "staying healthy". Any QB would have been injured the way he got hit.

Update: The Lions are certainly for real, and look like they are going to make the playoffs. Their pasting of the Broncos was epic.

2. The Buffalo Bills[REAL]

While most people had them in the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes, I wondered. I wondered because they seemed to be competing hard, and nearly pulling off some huge upsets, including the Ravens and Steelers. I'm not quite ready to say they'll win the East, but wow, they do look like they could at least challenge for it. At the worst, they are quite dangerous. Forget Luck, sign Fitz to a long-term deal, he's shown he can lead the team.

Update: They are tied for the lead at the half way mark. The loss to the Jets was puzzling, but that might say more about the Jets than the Bills. Right now I think they are on the fence of making a playoff run, or falling out of it.

3. Tennessee Titans[MIRAGE]

This was supposed to be a transition year for them, and despite them winning their last two games, including a very impressive win over the Ravens, I don't see them as a playoff team as some have been saying. Losing Britt pretty much ends that talk anyway. They are overachieving, and I don't see them keeping it up all year.

Update: Looks like they were indeed a mirage, and losing Britt might have been their undoing.

4. Pittsburgh Steelers[REAL]

The Steelers are what they are, and that is an aging team that is still shellshocked by losing the Superbowl, and by being pasted by the Ravens in week 1. Their struggles against a *very* bad Colts team show that they are not the team they have been over the last few years. They luckily play one of the easiest schedules in the NFL, and that keeps them in contention for a playoff berth.

Update: I'd say this still holds true. They aren't the team they were, and the injuries and age have taken their toll. Ben is having an MVP type season though, which has kept them in the race.

5. Atlanta Falcons[MIRAGE]

The Falcons are much better than the 1-2 record, and much better than they showed against Tampa Bay. Matt Ryan is off to a bit of a rough start, but this team has far too many offensive weapons to not stay in contention.

Update: The Falcons are now 5-3 and tied for the division lead, with a huge game coming up against the Saints at home. Looks like their early struggles were indeed a mirage.

6. Philadelphia Eagles[REAL]

All preseason long, a number of people pointed out that the "Dream Team" had problems stopping the run and protecting the passer. Viola, look what's been happening and causing them to lose. Duh...these guys are going to be lucky to make 8-8.

Update: Yup, at 3-5, the Eagles are done, and yes, will be lucky to reach 8-8. Schedule is favorable, but I don't see them making the playoffs.

7. New York Jets[MIRAGE]

I guess this depends if you actually think they are good or not. Fact is, they've been among the longest running mirages in the NFL going on three years. In 2009, they made the playoffs via the Bengals pulling all their starters for the final game. In 2010, March Sanchez had 18 dropped interceptions, more than twice the amount of the next QB. In fact, when adding up ints+dropped ints in comparison the his rookie year, Sanchez actually regressed. The 2011 Jets however, should be 1-2. Their defense is not what it was, and their offense is shaky at best.

Update: Uh oh, I think I might have been wrong about them. They are playing much better now, and tied for the division lead. We'll find out for sure against the Patriots.

8. New England Patriots[REAL]

The Patriots got exposed this week for what the are - a team with a very weak defense, and a one dimensional offense. However, that is what they've been for a few years now, and still find ways to win. They'll be a team with a good record, that will get blasted in the the playoffs by the likes of Houston or Baltimore.

Update: I called this one perfectly. Though I'm not sure about their record being good, or them even making the playoffs. They certainly have the weakest defense in the NFL, and their offense is stoppable.

9. Houston Texans[REAL]

The division is theirs for the taking. They have a legit offense, but that defense still worries me. They did give a, well urgent, Saints team a good run on the road, so I do think they're going to be able to win their fair share this year. They just need to defend the pass better.

Update: They control the division, and will get a likely first round bye. They are for real, maybe the second best AFC team.

10. Indianapolis Colts[REAL]

Look, the Colts have been on the decline since losing the Superbowl, and it continues. Even with Manning, with the losses on defense, this team was going to struggle to be any better than a .500 club. Without him, they'll be lucky to win a game. They can still generate a pass rush, but that is really about all they have going for them at this point.

Update: Spot on. These guys suck.

Teams I cannot figure out just yet:

Chiefs - no idea what the hell is going on there. Wow...

Update: I still can't figure this team out. Just when you think they have it turned around, they get pasted by the winless Dolphins. At Arrowhead!!

Bucs - Freeman looks pretty rough, but they still find ways to win. Not sure they can keep it up.

Update: Freeman is still struggling a bit. Last year, that was the mirage. Playing the tougher schedule exposed them for the average team they are.

Redskins - Seems like Shanahan has something going in the right direction, but not really sold on Rex.

Update: Wow, I was really wrong about this. Right direction? Yeesh...what a disaster.

Cowboys - They are scrapping, and really should be 3-0, but that offensive line is young.

Update: I just am not sure Tony Romo can get it done. I also don't know that Jason Garrett is the right man for the job.

Raiders - I can't tell much with this team, they are good enough to beat anyone, but not really confident in Campbell. He's one of those good between the 20's kind of guys.

Update: Well, Campbell was certainly playing better than Boller and Palmer. Seriously, I can't believe what the Raiders gave up for Palmer, who is done. Way done. I've been saying that for two years.

Chargers - Seem like the same ole Chargers, good enough to beat anyone, but seem almost like they have no motivation.

Update: Spot on. This is an average team. Rivers is struggling mightily, and they just aren't any better than their record says they are. That said, they could, and probably should, win their division.

Top Five at the halfway mark:

1. Green Bay: They are a bit like the Patriots, in that their defense is horrendous(ranked 31st), and their offense is one dimensional. The difference between them and the Patriots is that their passing game is completely unstoppable right now. If someone figures out how to slow Rodgers and those receivers down, they could be vulnerable, but nobody has thus far, so they are the best team in football right now.

2. Baltimore: The Ravens are the most, and maybe only, complete team in the league. They have the best defense, and an offense that is capable of scoring in bunches. When they get Evans back(if), they might be nearly as unstoppable as Green Bay. The only chink in the armor I see right now, is that they have two losses that they had no business losing. They just need to stay focused.

3. Houston: The Texans are very similar to the Ravens in that they can hurt you in the air and ground, and have a good defense. The defense isn't in Baltimore's class, but their offense is probably a little better when Andre Johnson is healthy. These two might meet again in the playoffs, it will be key for both teams to have home field advantage.

4. San Francisco: These guys may or may not be for real, and we'll certainly find out on Thanksgiving. But the fact is, they've beaten a couple of good teams, on the road, and have a very good defense. Their passing game is a bit anemic, but their ground game is strong. They are playing old-school football, and that style tends to work well in January. They should easily get a first round bye.

5. Detroit: I think that this team has so much potential. It's just frightening what Stafford and Megatron can do to teams, as well as their front seven on defense. These guys might not win their division, but I wouldn't count them out just yet. They are the one team on the Pack's schedule that I think has a good shot to spoil a potential top seed.

Awesome stuff Alien. Although I do find your absence of the Ben-gals puzzling. Right now they are neck and neck with the Ravens. I think they can beat the Stoolers, and if they manage a split with the Ravens they can take the division based on conference standings. Those losses at Jax and Tenn may come back to haunt the Ravens, two teams they should have easily handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Although I do find your absence of the Ben-gals puzzling.
    I think at the time I started the thread they were 2-2, and that didn't surprise me much at that point. However since then, they've been very surprising.

I honestly don't know how real they are. On one hand, they have a very good defense, but on the other, they haven't really played heavyweights just yet(though the Bills might qualify). I suspect they may struggle against the likes of Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I think at the time I started the thread they were 2-2, and that didn't surprise me much at that point. However since then, they've been very surprising.

I honestly don't know how real they are. On one hand, they have a very good defense, but on the other, they haven't really played heavyweights just yet(though the Bills might qualify). I suspect they may struggle against the likes of Baltimore and Pittsburgh.
    We won't know until they play someone, but this week against Pittsburgh should tell us something.

Both teams still have a couple patsies left on the schedule, Indy and Seattle for the Ravens, and Arizona and St Louis for the Bengals. Winning the division games is the most important thing, but either team stumbling on the easier games might decide it too.

Blog Entries

Igles could still make the playoffs at 9-7 but they have a make or break game against the Giants next week (assuming they beat the Cards)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!