Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Predict the Power Ranking

I should have seen the Chargers being ahead as well. For a team that has done nothing with a lot of opportunities and a head coach that is fantastic at taking a great team and making it worse than it should be, they sure get a lot of love. Rivers is the real deal for sure and that offense is stacked, but they got a lot of questions on D and for all the talk of the new ST coach, they just lost one of the best kickers in the league for the season, and the ST's looked terrible in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I should have seen the Chargers being ahead as well. For a team that has done nothing with a lot of opportunities and a head coach that is fantastic at taking a great team and making it worse than it should be, they sure get a lot of love. Rivers is the real deal for sure and that offense is stacked, but they got a lot of questions on D and for all the talk of the new ST coach, they just lost one of the best kickers in the league for the season, and the ST's looked terrible in that game.
    I feel like there should be a choice for media members during the football season: either make play-off and Super Bowl predictions at the beginning of the season or create power rankings pre-season. By doing both we get rankings like these where the Chargers who looked bad against a mediocre Minnesota team get ranked ahead of the Ravens who looked unbeatable against a good Steelers team. Also, no props to the Ravens, just a snide comment predicting a loss in the next meeting.

News Flash to PFT: This year isn't years past. This is the year we dominate the Steelers over and over and over again if we have to. The Packers, Saints, and the Pats were the only other teams to look like they were on the Ravens level this week.

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    I feel like there should be a choice for media members during the football season: either make play-off and Super Bowl predictions at the beginning of the season or create power rankings pre-season. By doing both we get rankings like these where the Chargers who looked bad against a mediocre Minnesota team get ranked ahead of the Ravens who looked unbeatable against a good Steelers team. Also, no props to the Ravens, just a snide comment predicting a loss in the next meeting.

News Flash to PFT: This year isn't years past. This is the year we dominate the Steelers over and over and over again if we have to. The Packers, Saints, and the Pats were the only other teams to look like they were on the Ravens level this week.
    Have to remember, PFT is owned by Mike Florio who is an unabashed Steeler lover. It's a bitter bitter pill to swallow for him. Media bias from one of the best organizations to do it too (NBC).

How in hell are the Chargers possibly ranked higher than the Ravens, Bears, Jets, or Pats at this point? They looked mediocre at best...
    Founder of The J. Peterman Company - JPeterman.com - Follow me on Twitter

I agree with that SBnation one much more.

Holy Smokes! Brian Billick's doing the Power Rankings for Fox Sports!
    #4 - Baltimore Ravens
    The way the Ravens beat down the Steelers, given the normally close nature of these games, cannot be overstated. I'm on record as saying this might be the best Ravens team ever, and I still might have underestimated them.
    I didn't know he said that about this team.

Easy to understand why a non-playoff team that barely beat a terrible team would be higher in the power rankings than a 12-4 team that obliterated another 12-4 team that most thought would be serious Superbowl contenders.
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post
    Holy Smokes! Brian Billick's doing the Power Rankings for Fox Sports!

I didn't know he said that about this team.
    I like the comment about the RAvens but some of his list is ??

Bills at 22 after that ass whoppin on the road
    Indy at 16?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

And now some of the more "official" rankings are coming in. The big media guys are the ones I expected bias from. CBS Sports (I think Prisco is a Chicago guy, so he's probably worried about looking biased).

Team Previous
    1 Packers · Trends 1
    They couldn't be stopped, but they couldn't stop the Saints either. They have to tighten up that defense as the season moves on.
    2 Patriots · Trends 2
    Can they get any better on offense? Tom Brady was sensational against Miami, but has to bounce back on a short week against a good San Diego team.
    3 Chargers · Trends 5
    They looked shaky early against the Vikings, but settled down after falling behind by 10. The special teams still gave up a return for a score. They need to fix that.
    4 Eagles · Trends 8
    They did some nice things, but Mike Vick has to stay in the pocket more. Now he starts in Atlanta against his former team, which will be big.
    5 Ravens · Trends 9
    The Ravens sent the rest of the NFL -- and especially the Steelers -- a loud message with their thumping Sunday. Joe Flacco looked confident, a good sign moving forward.
    6 Jets · Trends 10
    The comeback against the Cowboys speaks volumes about their mental toughness. I just worry they will play a lot of close games -- and you can't do that in all of them.
    7 Texans · Trends 14
    They looked every bit like a division winner in blowing out the Manning-less Colts. That front seven might be pretty good.
    8 Bears · Trends 16
    Step-back team? That's what many of us were saying before the season. The big victory over Atlanta must make us re-think that.
    9 Falcons · Trends 3
    The good news is they lost their opener last year and went on to win 13 games. The bad news is they have the Eagles coming to Atlanta for Mike Vick's first start in Atlanta for the Eagles.
    10 Steelers Trends 4
    Is age starting to become an issue on defense? We'll call that horrible game against Baltimore a mulligan.

People are really bending over backwards to rationalize the Charger's crappy win over a weak Vikings team.

The Chargers are hyped every season for some reason.

Blog Entries

Packers should be number 1, theyre the champs and the saints arent nobody. Ravens are #2 at the highest but in reality are probably 3 or 4, behind New England and maybe the Bears or Philly. Its power rankings and therefore doesnt matter anyway. Get that #1 or #2 seed, thats what matters.
    -JAB