Blog Entries

Thumbs up 24x7 Article: Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson - RAVENS SIGN WIDEOUT - (5/16)

There is a new article by Aaron Wilson on the main page.

Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson - RAVENS SIGN WIDEOUT - (5/16)

Link to complete article...
    Link to main page.

(This thread created automatically by 24x7 Admin's RSS robots).

Re: 24x7 Article: Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson - RAVENS SIGN WIDEOUT - (5/16)

Darling's signing was predictable, but hardly newsworthy. The Ravens always sign their RFAs, particularly at such a low tender. Given his production - or I should say total lack thereof - I predict he'll be one of the training camp cuts this summer.

Re: 24x7 Article: Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson - RAVENS SIGN WIDEOUT - (5/16)

He has been useless. Wake me up when they cut him. Should have been done long ago
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Another nice use of the salary cap. $850K for 0 receptions the last two years. Good thing he didn't haul in -20 catches..we'd be way over the cap!

I don't think he counts against the cap if he gets cut. Count on him getting cut.

He's another RFA who we tendered. It doesn't mean they make the roster.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Darling has two career receptions for five yards in 14 career game appearances since being drafted in the third round in 2004 out of Washington State.

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound speedster didn't catch a pass last season and hasn't caught a pass since his rookie campaign, going an entire two seasons without registering a reception.
    ...but we signed him to an $850,000 contract.

I'm speechless.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

That draft class is an absolute nightmare.

PP

Camden, again, if he doesn't make the team, he doesn't get paid, and doesn't count against the cap. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Remember, he was a RFA. We made him this tender offer a month or two ago. I would not count on him making the team with our depth at wideout.

Mason, Clayton, D. Williams, now Figurs. Plus we are deep with 'hands' type people at other positions too, with McGahee, McClain (supposedly), and our half dozen tight ends.

More likely would be Clarence Moore making the team, at least he's tall and useless, instead of Darling, who is short and useless.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I would have rather had us re-sign Alex Bannister.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Camden, again, if he doesn't make the team, he doesn't get paid, and doesn't count against the cap. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Remember, he was a RFA. We made him this tender offer a month or two ago.
    Exactly. It always cracks me up when people get upset about tendering and then signing a RFA or EFA. These guys are cheap labor and if they don't prove to be among the best 53 guys, they will get cut - no big deal. If it ends up that way, then they cost us nothing. So, why not tender them in case the light somehow does go on? There is no reason not to bring him back, since the team can always change their mind and go another direction at any time - with no cap implications.

Geez, could you imagine the outcry if - however remote it seems - they decided to not tendered Darling and he went somewhere else and hit it big next year?!??!? Then, all the talk would be - why didn't we just tender him for a measely $850K?

And, BTW, at this time of year, since the Rule of 51 applies, not tendering Darling would have only saved them around $500K, since had he not been tendered, he would have been replaced among the top 51 cap numbers by a player making $360K. As useless as he has been so far in his career, I doubt they would have been able to find much better at $500K. And, they can carry close to 80 players at this time of the year, so it's not like it's hindering them from bringing anyone else in.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 05-18-2007 at 12:40 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap