Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Concerns I have about Sunday

The obvious questions about Sunday surround the Offensive Line, the new players on both sides of the ball, Cameron's ability to adjust properly to go against the Steelers' D, Pagano's defensive calls against Ben and the Offense, the execution by the players when it counts (avoiding dropped balls, third-and-long missives, and all kinds of turnovers), and, most importantly, how to get past the Steelers' streak against the Ravens with Ben behind center. This is a lot to digest.

Just as important in my mind though is the thought that if the Ravens lose, we will hear the chest-pounding, Yankee-like arrogance for another victory by Steelers' fans, which will start in M&T. And the worst part is that we cannot debate it, even if there are bogus calls that go their way, because a win is a win is a win.

But even worse than that will be the teeth-gnashing and outcry by all of those that will call for Newsome/Harbaugh/Cameron to be immediately fired, Flacco to be benched and either Taylor to start or to sign Troy Smith, and that the tickets for the remaining game will be dumped like a penny stock. We will also hear the Rex Ryan talk and what horrible ownership is in place. And I am sure that all of you can pull out the tried and true complaints that you hear when the Ravens lose. It is one thing to have the enemy dumping on the home team, but when it comes from the "fans", it is hard to tolerate. If they do not win, I will probably have to turn off the sports talk for a few days.

For all of those reasons, the Ravens have to win on Sunday.

Blog Entries

Re: Concerns I have about Sunday

I don't want to hear any excuses such as the O-Line hasn't had time to gel. That is what practice is for. Sure it isn't the Steeler D, but the Raven's lose to the Steelers by intangibles. Like Ben keeping plays alive, or Polamalu making game changing plays. Worst of all, the fact the Raven's have them in their head.

When we were still up by 7 in the playoffs, then tied, every time they showed Ray, or any other Raven on the sideline, there was the "Hear we go again." look on all their faces.

Only one Raven seems not to care, Terrell Suggs, he seems to play at a higher level against the Steelers, as if his hate makes him stronger. If the entire team played with his intensity, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Blog Entries

I'm more worried about the defense than offense. But I still say it comes down to turnovers like always

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I won't feel sorry for the Ravens because the Steelers have worries, too. Their O-Line is also banged up/inexperienced and their secondary is still weak. Most importantly, James Harrison is coming off back surgery and has not looked the same this preseason. If McKinnie is able to handle him then the Ravens will be able to slide more protection to help against Woodley. Yes it's suboptimal that the Ravens O-Line has not had time to "gel" but I regard the circumstances to be at least neutral.

Blog Entries

Protect the passer and pressure the other teams passer. That's what the issues have been against the Steelers. Do those things and the Ravens win.

The Steelers have their own questions. Their OL is banged up and untested. Their secondary can be exposed. Are you really worried about execution? I don't know what to tell you there. I guess I have more faith in this team.

That being said, I don't have my head in the sand. The Ravens have questions going into the season. All teams do. Let them play a meaningful game before worrying too bad.
    Founder of The J. Peterman Company - JPeterman.com - Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    When we were still up by 7 in the playoffs, then tied, every time they showed Ray, or any other Raven on the sideline, there was the "Hear we go again." look on all their faces.
    I noticed the same thing last year and when I wrote about it over on that "other" internet message board, some people thought I was nuts! So thank you for confirming the observation. :respect

I'm not sure I've ever seen a group of 45 players plus coaches look more shell-shocked and wind-out-of-the-sails than the Ravens who were still winning at the time. Everyone looked lost, confused, and already defeated. There was no leadership, no rallying. When I saw it, despite our 7 point lead, I knew we would lose the game. When guys look like they're just not ready to fight any more, you know it's over.

Of course I must admit that even when we had a 21(?) point lead before the half I still thought we could blow it , and it was at that point that I realized you can take a Ravens fan out of Baltimore, but you can't take the pessimism out of the Ravens fan.

That game was the ultimate example of the Ravens playing a full 47 :o minutes of solid football against first-rate opponents, then something going wrong - whether it's dumb turnovers or failures to recognize blitzing safeties or overly conservative play-calling - but in almost all cases it's mental more than physical. Whatever was working... we stop doing that.

You're right - the Steelers are in the Ravens' heads, and I include the coaches. They have to exorcise that demon.

I have no concern at all about Sunday. My concern is playing a full game if we happen to meet them again in the playoffs.. when it counts!

9. Re: Concerns I have about Sunday

I'm also concerned about the D. Rushing the passer to be precise. Pagano has been a blitzing mad man, and we all know the top QB's will kill the blitz. I just have no confidence in our 4 man rush.

I'm also more worried about the defense.. Jimmy Smith and Cary Williams might as well both be rookies going against what appears to be a nice up-and coming receiver tandem in Brown and Wallace.

Go back and look at the preseason game in Pittsburgh. They weren't running the ball particulary well vs. Atlanta, so Ben just started slinging it all over the field and Brown had a field day.

That's my biggest concern. Seeing their receivers dance around after big receptions is going to make me angry.

Birk not even on injury list, Gurode getting up to speed:

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sp...cc4c03286.html

Quote Originally Posted by Beezo View Post
    I have no concern at all about Sunday. My concern is playing a full game if we happen to meet them again in the playoffs.. when it counts!
    +1. It's week one for for crying out loud. Sure a win gives us some early momentum, but I believe this team has enough of a veteran presence to not let a loss get them down. It is going to take some time for the offensive line and the secondary to adjust to playing together at (real) game speed. The Steeler pass rush and passing offense should be near the tops in the NFL this year, so struggling against those units in week one (!!) would neither surprise nor worry me.