Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    He's a good MLB but he'd get eaten alive trying to play ILB in the 3-4. He's just too short and light.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Re: Free agents/recent cuts we might be interested in

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    He's a good MLB but he'd get eaten alive trying to play ILB in the 3-4. He's just too short and light.
    I'll give you short, but he's 245-250lbs. He's a stocky dude.

Also, playing MLB in 3-4 and 4-3 is about position, anticipation, and aggressiveness.

I think the argument that he is too short/small to play MLB in a 3-4 (especially when we play so many different variances) is a bogus argument.

He's never played in a defense like ours. How would anyone know how he'd do?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Artis Hicks G cut by Skins but I don't really want him.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Xavier Adibi cut by the Texans and Ryan Cook cut by the Vikings.

Also, here's a name that some will remember from last year...Reggie Corner was cut by the Bills. The only reason that name rings a bell to me was from the Bills fan we had here that was trying to convince the board that Corner was a good player and would be a guy that would help us beat the Peyton Mannings and Tom Brady's...and would be more than good value for Jared Gaither.

Now both those guys are on the outs.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Also, playing MLB in 3-4 and 4-3 is about position, anticipation, and aggressiveness.

I think the argument that he is too short/small to play MLB in a 3-4 (especially when we play so many different variances) is a bogus argument.

Lofa is a beast. I don't know how he hasn't been picked up. I actually signed him in my madden franchise. Having ray Lewis and Lofa Tatupu as your ILB's is ridiculous.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Now both those guys are on the outs.
    Was Gaither cut? Last I heard, he started practicing again and looked like a favorite to backup at LT and make the team.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The question is, does Ozzie have 1) the stones, and 2) the cap room to bring a big name that's been cut to the Ravens? I've often wondered why more teams just don't go the 18-1 Cheaters route and/or Jets route and go get a known quantity. (Granted, Jets are almost laughable in that regard, but you know what I mean hopefully.)
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Jamaal Jackson NOT CUT by Eagles.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Was Gaither cut? Last I heard, he started practicing again and looked like a favorite to backup at LT and make the team.
    I didn't think he got cut, but I wasn't sure if he was going to make the team.

He didn't fall from graces quite a bit though...he had to take close to the minimum for one year and is now a backup. Not where anybody expected 2 years ago.

A quick internet search shows various sources list him at everything from 230 to 250. I think he's probably a lot closer to the low number than the high one. The guy is not heavily muscled, he has a very slender trunk. He just looks like a small linebacker.
    MLB is all about reading and reacting. Flowing sideline to sideline while the tackles and OLB engage blockers. It's a position built around speed and range.

ILB is more about attacking a gap, taking on a guard or center and either stuffing him into that gap to force a play to bounce out to your OLBs or to stuff the runner. It's a down hill attacking position.

The fact that Ray Lewis could play both at an extremely high level is an aberration and speaks more about what a great player he is than about the similarities in the position.

In addition to Lofa's size concerns, he simply not an attacking LB. He play can be severely degraded by hitting him which is especially concerning when you consider his spotty injury history.

You're welcome to think that but you're ignoring a pretty sound argument to listen to your gut.

And Terrell Suggs has never played ILB, who am I to say he isn't a good fit to play there?

If a guy has been successful playing one position in the NFL, it's fairly unlikely that he can equal or even come close to that level of success at a different position. And say what you want, ILB and MLB are different positions. Ray Lewis is not normal, most guys can't make that switch. Look at how much Jonathan Vilma struggled trying to do it with the Jets. They ended up having to trade him for a ham sandwich because he just couldn't make the positional switch.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    The question is, does Ozzie have 1) the stones, and 2) the cap room to bring a big name that's been cut to the Ravens?)
    Someone like, oh, Bryant McKinnie or TJ Houshmandzadeh or Lee Evans (who was slated to be cut before the Ravens stepped up with a draft pick to secure him)?

It may be a dough issue, but not a stones level.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    The guy is not heavily muscled, he has a very slender trunk. He just looks like a small linebacker.
    I'd say he's a pretty average size for a LB. There are plenty of skinnier, and bigger LBs in the league.