Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is "third receiver" a dilemma?

I keep hearing from Sun writers that one of the Ravens pressing questions is choosing a third receiver. For instance, Ken Murray's latest...

For now, the Ravens are still sorting through their offensive options. They need to identify the third receiver (David Reed or Torrey Smith), the backup quarterback and the third running back (Anthony Allen or Jalen Parmele). They need to stabilize the offensive line.
    One of these doesn't go with the others, right?

I mean, Reed and Smith will both make the team and could both see playing time. And frankly, Doss will be their first guy off the bench even though he's a possession receiver.

So that "dilemma" seems inconsequential, doesn't it? Certainly not at the same level a dilemma as whether Tyrod can be the back up or choosing between Allen and Parmele.

Or a dozen other more legitimate questions. Like, Mattison backing up Birk. Or which LBs to keep. Or, if you have receiver questions at all, will LaQuan make the team? Does Kris Wilson hang on as the third tight end? What happens with Foxworth and do they need to keep a sixth corner -- like their fifth round pick, Brown.

Am I missing something? Frankly, I don't even know if there is such a thing as "third receiver." I mean, isn't Doss the back-up to Boldin. And isn't Reed slightly ahead of Smith as Evans' back-up? Where's the controversy?

Okay, rant over.

Re: Is "third receiver" a dilemma?

I expect Doss and Torrey to split time in 3 wr sets based on what they are trying to accomplish.

I'd rather see Doss instead of Torrey right now just because he has better hands. If you need another speed guy, Dickson seems to be able to get down the field pretty fast (not an absolute burner, but not bad either).

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Am I missing something? Frankly, I don't even know if there is such a thing as "third receiver."
    Certainly not in Cameron's offense. And maybe that is the crux of the problem.

5. Re: Is "third receiver" a dilemma?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I'd rather see Doss instead of Torrey right now just because he has better hands. If you need another speed guy, Dickson seems to be able to get down the field pretty fast (not an absolute burner, but not bad either).
    Yep, I think Doss is a good compliment to Evans and Boldin. Smith needs a little more time. Reed has looked awful in pre-season.

Blog Entries

I keep hearing from Sun writers that one of the Ravens pressing questions is choosing a third receiver. For instance, Ken Murray's latest...For now, the Ravens are still sorting through their offensive options. They need to identify the third receiver (David Reed or Torrey Smith), the backup quarterback and the third running back (Anthony Allen or Jalen Parmele). They need to stabilize the offensive line.

Where's the controversy?

Okay, rant over.
    You are around long enough to consider the source.
    It is a lot of verbiage that can be spit out without a lot of work
    Reads good to the out-of-towners here for the extremely athletic sport of watching cars go fast.
    And probably impresses the Raven "fans" who when they start watching the first regular season game will say "Who is this Lee Evans and when did we get him?"
    We only get upset at that stuff if we consider it serious journalism reporting, and you have posted far too intelligent stuff here to believe that source.
    Now if Aaron W had said it, I would have paused and considered what it meant.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

I understand what you're saying, but third receiver is a bit of a dillema. Because not a single one of them is proven.

3rd WR is VERY important, considering Week 1, we go up against one of the toughest run defenses in Pitt. The Packers showed the best way to attack the Steelers is by spreading them out and forcing Polamalu into single coverage, thus leaving them without a safety net roaming the backfield.

Torrey has had a rough preseason, I don't think you can count on him yet. Doss is a guy who seems like he should be helpful for Joe, but is he ready to really "own" that slot role? And Reed is coming off a pretty poor performance against the Falcons scrubs, albeit with Cantwell at QB.

You can rotate them, but the real question is...With 1:58 to go, down 3 or 4, starting on your 20 yard line...Who do you send out in the three WR set? Not enough time to "rotate" them, and you want a guy who can make the catch when he needs to, and burn the Steelers secondary if the opportunity presents itself.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

shas-
    I tend to agree with you, and would liek to offer a couple reactions I have--

First is the idea of a team's #1...or #2....or #x, receiver. Never understood exactly what that means, unless the playbook says, "Joe, call the dipsey-doodle Bismarck red dog 12, on 3, and throw it ONLY to the #2 receiver!" ;)

The other thought is something I read (okay, it was in today's Sun...I confess! :o) where Zibby was quoted talking about the defense--

""We have plenty of depth," he said. "I think with that depth, there's also going to be a lot of different packages that we'll be able to do. I think everyone will get comfortable with whatever our role is. Obviously, we know all the positions, but when you can just hone down and really be specific on one certain thing … I think it's going to make us that much more potent as a secondary.""

I know he's not speaking of receivers, and I readily admit that my logic is often obtuse :D, but I felt like that quote could have been from Boldin or Evans --

""We have plenty of depth," he said. "I think with that depth, there's also going to be a lot of different packages that we'll be able to do. I think everyone will get comfortable with whatever our role is. Obviously, we know all the positions, but when you can just hone down and really be specific on one certain thing … I think it's going to make us that much more potent as a receiving threat on offense."

I keep hearing from Sun writers that one of the Ravens pressing questions is choosing a third receiver. For instance, Ken Murray's latest...

One of these doesn't go with the others, right?

I mean, Reed and Smith will both make the team and could both see playing time. And frankly, Doss will be their first guy off the bench even though he's a possession receiver.

So that "dilemma" seems inconsequential, doesn't it? Certainly not at the same level a dilemma as whether Tyrod can be the back up or choosing between Allen and Parmele.

Or a dozen other more legitimate questions. Like, Mattison backing up Birk. Or which LBs to keep. Or, if you have receiver questions at all, will LaQuan make the team? Does Kris Wilson hang on as the third tight end? What happens with Foxworth and do they need to keep a sixth corner -- like their fifth round pick, Brown.

Am I missing something? Frankly, I don't even know if there is such a thing as "third receiver." I mean, isn't Doss the back-up to Boldin. And isn't Reed slightly ahead of Smith as Evans' back-up? Where's the controversy?

Okay, rant over.
    Well, for starters Parmale's been cut which I'm sure you know, so that statement shakes itself out.

I don't think there's an issue if Cameron knows what he's doing.

He's got Dickson and Pitta and can do a lot more from a 2 TE set than he could with two dicey (or no) TEs and a proven 3rd WR.

I keep hinting that people shouldn't be surprised if Reed is cut either, if not for his return abilities I see no reason to keep him. Meanwhile, a 3rd will develop from the rest that make the team, which no doubt will include Smith and Doss and from what I heard LaQuan made it too.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Gold--
    On a related note, I think I read something in the Sun today about Harbaugh having mixed emotions about getting to a final roster, the (negative) implication being that he will have to let players go who they really hate to lose. I wonder if Parmele, -- and if your guess is correct, Reed -- are two of those players?

I really think we should use Doss as our #3 against Pittsburgh. The guy seems fearless and feisty, both good qualities in general for a WR but especially for one going against a tough defense like Pittsburgh's.

Honestly, I think Torrey starting over Doss (or Reed) would be a travesty. It's unjustifiable beyond the fact Torrey is our high draft pick and the coaches WANT him to pan out.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

i like the idea of going with alot of 2 TE sets with boldin and evans split wide against the steelers. give doss a couple looks as the "3". i agree shas, its not that big a deal.