Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Predict Ravens Record: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

I see 11-5, division champs, AFCC game in M&T...after that the crystal ball cracked...

Re: Predict Ravens Record: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

I agree, I see 11 wins this year. I think we:

Sweep Cleveland
    Sweep Cincy
    Split Pittsburgh.

There's 5 wins there, and against the division. That puts us in very good tie-breaker shape.

I think we beat Tennessee, St. Louis (not sold on them just yet), San Francisco, Arizona, Seattle, and Jacksonville.

Something about the Jets game bothers me. I know it's at home, but I think the Jets pull that game out. And Houston is getting to be a solid team we may have trouble with. And until we beat the Colts, I never pencil that a W.

The good news is that beating the Jets or the Texans puts us at 12 wins and that would be enough for the division. Beathing them both would be good enough for a shot at the #1 or #2 seed and a home playoff game.

I'm going with 11-5 as a solid prediction right now.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Sting--
    Not trying to be difficult here, more a point of order/question -
    I had initially started this thread over in the "regular" section. I didn't realize we have this separate area for "Prognostications!", and would gladly have started it here, except I see the thread as more than just predictions, more along the lines of a comparison of what folks thought of the Ravens chances barely a month ago to what I'm reading now. Also, the notes say "The weekly football pickems and pools go in this forum", and I don't see this thread as either one of those, since I'm asking for predictions for the year - actually, the final regular season record.

In any case, I'd prefer to have this thread located in the 24x7 area as opposed to the Prog. sub-forum if possible. If not, pas de probleme. Thanks for your consideration.

Hey Beau,

This was a subject discussed among the moderators that I really wasn't a part of. The reasoning behind it stemmed from previous years of these types of threads and not really knowing where they should go. So this sub-forum was created. Beyond that, I'm not the right mod to answer this one.

Sting--
    No worries. I used to run these threads for years on SunSpot, and I wanted to make sure the widest audience saw them and could participate. I honestly didn't even see this sub-forum until I noticed that the thread had been moved here. It's not a huge deal, but I do want to get as many folks as I can to offer predictions; I usually grab a copy of the posts and store them on my PC, summarize the results and then make them and the related posts/comments available for discussions and comment as the season goes by. The problem tends to be that it's difficult to find a thread buried dozens of pages back in time when the Ravens are playing in December and someone posts, "Yeah, I always knew they'd be undefeated at this point!" :D ;)

Beau:

This discussion thread will likely be on or close to the front page in December, rather than buried 50+ pages back on 24x7.

This discussion thread includes predicting the Ravens season record, which many responders did. (See the first item in your first post). The Subforum title is "Pools, Pickems and Prognostications!". "Prognostication" is synonymous with "prediction".

This subforum was started this morning, and all active discussions that fit the forum definition were transferred, along with permanent links in 24x7.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

T-
    Merci beaucoup, mon ami!

[BTW, "This subforum was started this morning..."

I know I'm a newbie, but somehow, I feel SPECIAL!!! :D ;)]

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Merci beaucoup, mon ami!
    Il n'y a pas de quoi.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Just a courtesy bump for anyone who wants to add their revised prediction.

Blog Entries

14-2 1st round bye (well needed after having an early bye). It's a easier schedule on paper. Lee Evans has picked up the offense and has gelled with Flacco quick. The line may be shaky at first but it's already better than last year even if it is shaky at first. Our secondary has questions, but I believe it just has to prove itself they have the talent. The pass rush will be huge, if they can get that going I have no question about this team making a deap run. We don't usually lose to average 1st/2nd year QB's under Harbs so I can't see us losing too many games this year.

I predicted 13-3 last season in Beau's thread and was one off so here we go again!

1 Sep 11 PIT @ BAL W
    2 Sep 18 BAL @ TEN W
    3 Sep 25 BAL @ STL W
    4 Oct 02 NYJ @ BAL W
    6 Oct 16 HOU @ BAL W
    7 Oct 24 BAL @ JAC W
    8 Oct 30 ARI @ BAL W
    9 Nov 06 BAL @ PIT L
    10 Nov 13 BAL @ SEA W
    11 Nov 20 CIN @ BAL W
    12 Nov 24 SF @ BAL W
    13 Dec 04 BAL @ CLE W
    14 Dec 11 IND @ BAL W
    15 Dec 18 BAL @ SD L
    16 Dec 24 CLE @ BAL W
    17 Jan 01 BAL @ CIN W
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Let's see:

Week 1: Sep 11, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Optimistically, I’d say the Ravens by 4. Pessimist in me says, Steelers by 10.
    Overall, Steelers to win something like 28-27.
    Until the Ravens prove they can finally defeat a Roethlisberger led team and with being sick of seeing predictions of that trend coming to an end being trashed, going with the Steeler victory. History is divided on this, some for a Ravens’ victory and some against. A win would really set the tone for a magical season. (0-1)

Week 2: Sep 18, @ Tennessee Titans (prev game: @ Jacksonville)
    Optimistically, I’d say the Ravens by three scores. Pessimist in me still says Ravens victory, but only by a field goal in a lethargic performance.
    Overall, Ravens to win something like 24-13. Tennessee is not the easiest place to play, but it is the easiest of the first four games. How much Hasselbeck has left remains to be seen, but aside CJ – whose holdout may impact on his performance in the beginning of the season – the team doesn’t seem to eek quality in any position. However, it is the Titan’s first home game under a new HC, so they’ll be up for it and even without Fisher, the Titans are a physical team. (1-1)

Week 3: Sep 25, @ St Louis Rams (prev game: @ NY Giants, Monday Night Game)
    Optimistically, I’d say the Ravens by 10. Pessimist in me says Rams by a score or so.
    Overall, the Ravens to win by a field goal or two like 27-21, but not entirely convinced. This is the weakest NFC division without a doubt, but the Ravens have never swept a NFC division before, despite their good record against the conference. This game is coming sandwiched between two physical games and the Jets the week after. Potential letdown. This is not one to award a W to lightly, the Rams are an improving team. I give the win as the Rams are coming off an away Monday night game and the Ravens should have enough class to win. Should. (2-1)

Week 4: Oct 2, New York Jets* (prev game: @ Oakland) [Sun Night]
    Optimistically, I’d say the Ravens by 8. Pessimist in me says Jets by 9.
    Overall, the Ravens win by a field goal in another tight one, 13-10. The Jets haven’t got better since last year, though they’ll still be a very good team. The Jets are also coming from Oakland to play at Baltimore. I also just can’t see the Ravens dropping their first two home games. (3-1)

Week 5: Oct 9, BYE
    Shame it’s so early.

Week 6: Oct 16, Houston Texans (prev game: Oakland)
    Optimistically, I’d say the Ravens in a blowout. Pessimist in me says Texans by a touchdown in a secondary meltdown.
    Overall, Ravens by 10 to win 31-21 and it might not be even that close. Baltimore just owns Texas with a 7-0 all time record against the state (3-0 vs Dallas, 4-0 vs Houston). They’ve not lost after the bye under Harbaugh with combined victories of 28-10, 30-7 and 26-10. Bear in mind, last time Baltimore play Houston, the Ravens were 28-7 up just after the half and this is with Houston having 10 days off, at their home, on prime time television. Why the nerves? Houston’s going to be a better team, this season, but they’ve got an uphill battle to win this. (4-1)

Week 7: Oct 24, @ Jacksonville Jaguars* (prev game: @ Pittsburgh) [Mon Night])
    Optimistically, I’d say the Ravens in a blowout once more. Pessimist in me still says the Ravens win comprehensively.
    Overall, Ravens win by as much as three scores, 31-7. Jacksonville was a very average team before they lost their quarterback and now going to be even worse. To me, this may actually be one of the barometers of the season in a similar way to Carolina last year. The Ravens went there and should’ve crushed them until the Panthers pleaded for the mercy rule. They didn’t and they took far too long to end that game. From that moment on, you knew the Ravens weren’t there psychologically. This game will be more difficult than Carolina, but it’ll be a good sense of how good the Ravens’ psyche is: the lights are on, who are the Ravens of 2011? Champions or pretenders? (5-1)

Week 8: Oct 30, Arizona Cardinals (Pittsburgh)
    Optimistically, I’d say the Ravens in a blowout once again! Pessimist in me says the Ravens let the Cardinals hang around until a late Cundiff field goal ends the game.
    Overall, Ravens by 17, 34-17. As long as the Ravens secondary is not AWOL, this should be a comfortable victory. Kolb is still probably having nightmares of Reed running right past him. (6-1)

Week 9: Nov 6, @ Pittsburgh Steelers* (prev game: New England) [Sun Night]
    Optimistically, the Ravens take the Steelers to overtime before a turnover ends it in the Steelers’ favour, pessimistically, the Ravens look lost all night.
    Overall, a loss, 19-24. Heinz Field sucks as it is, and prime time’s even worse. Pittsburgh just doesn’t seem to lose at home when it’s prime time, at least not to Baltimore. Their last game was against New England, a team they do not do well against, so the Steelers will be looking to end any sniff of a slide. Ravens would dearly love to extend it. They fall short in the same way they always do. Sadly, a sweep. It tastes real bad. (6-2)

Week 10: Nov 13, @ Seattle Seahawks (prev game: @ Dallas)
    Optimistically, I’d say the Ravens by two to three scores, 31-14. Pessimist in me says Ravens by 3 or 4 points.
    Overall, the Ravens get the job done. Coming from Pittsburgh to Seattle isn’t the best, but Seattle isn’t a good football team. Hopefully by this point, the Ravens are really beginning to improve properly as the season goes on as everything gets into sync properly. (7-2)

Week 11: Nov 20, Cincinnati Bengals (Pittsburgh)
    Optimistically, I’d say the Ravens keep up the trend of dominating bad teams. Pessimist in me says the Ravens offence still thinks the Bengals’ defence is the NFL equivalent of the Rubik’s Cube, but sneak a tepid victory.
    Overall, 24-7 victory. Cincinnati does have some pieces on O and D, but nothing to string it together. Losing Palmer and Joseph will help for the Ravens. I’m not sure if the Bengals will be as bad as last year. (8-2)

Week 12: Nov 24, San Francisco 49ers* (prev game: Arizona) [Thur Night]
    Optimistically, the Ravens are smelling a 40+ points offensive performance. Pessimistically, the Ravens still win by 10, but the offence doesn’t get going as well as it should.
    Overall, the Ravens win and it’s over by halftime. 41-17 at the end. 49ers have to travel from west to east to play on a Thursday against a much better team. Ouch. It’s like what, 8 out of 10 the home team on a Thursday wins? It’d probably be higher if it wasn’t for Detroit’s ‘performances’ over the last few Thanksgivings. Jim’s thinking Luck, John’s thinking he’ll help to that end, lovingly. (9-2)

Week 13: Dec 4, @ Cleveland Browns (prev game: @ Cincinnati)
    Optimist says Ravens by 2 TDs, pessimist says an OT loss.
    Overall, the Browns try to keep close, but the Ravens win, 20-14. The Browns lack depth, the Ravens have got an extra few days to prepare and should win it without too much drama. Cleveland is improving, but got a little screwed with their schedule. Oh, they also may have to contend with the Madden Curse, too. (10-2)

Week 14: Dec 11, Indianapolis Colts (prev game: @ New England, Sun Night)
    Optimist says Ravens by 4, pessimist says Colts to win by 8.
    Overall, Ravens finally break the duck, 19-17. This is the trickiest one to pick. A lot has been made of the fact that Manning’s health is up in the air, but if he’ll be back by this point, will he even be healthy? However, Manning, at least at M&T, is not usually the problem. Instead, the Colts defence is made to look like a problem that deserves a Millennium Prize if solved. At the very least, some form of obscure quantum physics. That said, they cannot lose to them forever. (11-2)

Week 15: Dec 18, @ San Diego Chargers* (prev game: Buffalo) [Sun Night]
    All of me says loss here. Overall, 31-34. Ravens do well against San Diego, though it’s not as overwhelming as their record against teams such as Oakland or the Jets. However, San Diego is very difficult to beat in December and this is the pivotal factor. The Chargers, every year, are overrated by analysts, but this is a game they win. Flacco keeps it close. (11-3)

Week 16: Dec 24, Cleveland Browns* (prev game: @ Arizona) [Saturday]
    All of me says win here, 28-16 overall. Cleveland gets to have a shorter week to fly from Arizona to Baltimore. As long as the Ravens do not play stupid, this should be a run-of-the-mill game. (12-3)

Week 17: Jan 1, @ Cincinnati Bengals (prev game: Arizona)
    Optimistically, Ravens end on a good note with a 21-6 win. Pessimist in me says Ravens still bang head against the Rubik’s Cube. Maybe they got one for Christmas. Overall though, 17-7 victory.
    This is probably going to be as frustrating as the last Bengals game. Ravens have been a little tense to start with in their final games under Harbaugh before coming back to win all of them. If they’ve done well enough to wrap a first round bye, this may be a loss as starters are rested. (13-3)

The absolute range is 6-10 to 15-1. Pessimist says a 7-9 record is possible if the Ravens just do not gel all year and the holes in their squad get wider. Optimistically, 14-2 is perfectly feasible, to be honest. Overall, I’ve gone for 13-3 with a chance to avenge the tearjerking way the 2006 season ended, but 12-4 or 11-5 records with further losses against the Rams and\or Colts are also possible.

Last year, the injury bug was not too bad. Green Bay had less, but did more. So far, touch wood, things look good on that front. That’s going to be the main factor in this season; after that, the psychology and how well players step up to earn their pay, particularly the rookies.

Tl;dr: 13-3 providing the Ravens don't fall apart due to injury bug or the psychology isn't there. (Hope that works for a good 1st post )

Blog Entries

Well to all you Ravens doubters... Ha!!!
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"