Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

if the oline is good 13-3, if the o-line doesnt click 11-5.

Someone posted that we lose to the jets, and I don't see that. I know alot of jets fans that are amazed by the fact that they can spell J-E-T-S, so they think they can win it all every game(sorry, jets fans annoy the hell out of me.), but the realists know they down graded reciever(too many"?" and speed is down) and there front 7 on d is still filled with holes. so I dont see that as a loss, close game? maybe, but no loss.

Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

10 - 6

Wild card. Win the wild card round, lose in the divisional round.

"In the end it's hard to point to one thing, but it would have been nice to have a good left tackle. It was a good season, now it's time to sign Ngata. Man, we are going to look different next year. Flacco had a good year, will people *ever* see he's a good QB and just get off his back?"
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I'm not into predictions but I think this is a very good team. It may take a few games to start rolling but I think they will.

A good amount of posters are worried about the line which is somewhat suprising. I understand they haven't had any game snaps together this year but 4/5ths of the line have already played together for most of 2009. It's not like they havent worked together for any extended periods. The one unknown element is McKinnie and if he plays at least average for us then he'll be no worse than Oher at LT.

The other part of the team that I'm worried about is the secondary. Cary Williams and Jimmy Smith (hopefully he's starting) will be tested quickly.
    They need experience. I'm expecting not only rookie mistakes from Smith but also first year jitters from Williams. Fortunately, we have decent depth if someone is not up to par.

Bottom line, this is a very good team with better athleticism than last year's team. When you lose Mason, Heap, and the others, the team loses experience. Hopefully the athleticism will overcome the lack of experience. I do think this is a playoff quality team with a better schedule than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravskins View Post
    I'm not into predictions but I think this is a very good team. It may take a few games to start rolling but I think they will.

A good amount of posters are worried about the line which is somewhat suprising. I understand they haven't had any game snaps together this year but 4/5ths of the line have already played together for most of 2009. It's not like they havent worked together for any extended periods. The one unknown element is McKinnie and if he plays at least average for us then he'll be no worse than Oher at LT.

The other part of the team that I'm worried about is the secondary. Cary Williams and Jimmy Smith (hopefully he's starting) will be tested quickly.
    They need experience. I'm expecting not only rookie mistakes from Smith but also first year jitters from Williams. Fortunately, we have decent depth if someone is not up to par.

Bottom line, this is a very good team with better athleticism than last year's team. When you lose Mason, Heap, and the others, the team loses experience. Hopefully the athleticism will overcome the lack of experience. I do think this is a playoff quality team with a better schedule than last year.
    Chicken.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Rav--
    Not looking to paint anyone into a corner with these "experiments". When I spent time on SunSpot, I'd read thread after thread and endless posts at different times of the year, where posters would gnash their teeth and pull out their hair over a personnel move (or the lack of one), or how the xyz position will kill the team's efforts, or how signing Stubby DelGado (the one-armed wide receiver) would bring credibility and TDs to a sputtering ofense, or any of dozens more pronouncements about the certainty of failure or success for the Ravens at that moment in time.

What was challenging was trying to have discussions about the team's fortunes without some posters stopping for a brief moment to engage their brain and realize that managing an NFL franchise isn't the same as managing their fantasy football team. And then we'd hear posters telling us, way after the fact, that "I always KNEW the Ravens made the right move with such-and-such a guy", or "I TOLD youse guys the team wouldn't be any better than 9-7 (or they'd DEFINITELY win 13 games)". Then there'd be endless aruing and debate about who actually said what, who was "smarter" when it came to predicting the future, and so on. So I decided to run prediction threads at different times of the year --

>usually around draft time, when folks worry about "How could Ozzie not draft this guy or that, we're DOOMED!" [or my favorite, Why didn't BILLICK draft so-and-so?]

>usually just prior to OTAs and TC, when some have on their purple-colored glasses sipping on the Kool-aid, figuring that some guy out of the blue who can't walk and chew gum at the same time will finally be the answer for the Ravens at {fill in the worrisome roster slot du jour}

> and then usually right about this time, after the final pre-season game and before Game 1 of the regular season, when we actually are close to knowing who will actually be on the roster, who is or isn't injured, how well or not guys have played in games against other teams, etc.

When I've summarized the results of the predictions, it feels like there are a lot of folks who are pretty good at predicting what the team's record will be when I look back after the season. It's also nice to shut up some knucklehead who declares somewhere around the middle of the season that "I KNEW that would happen and I TOLD you it would!" I drag outthe thread, look at the comments, and often find that the declarer siad exactly the opposite!

In any event, it's more for fun, so don't worry, throw your hat into the ring!

Re: Predict Ravens Record: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

Steelers - L
    @ Titans - W
    @ Rams - W
    Jets - L
    Texans - W
    @ Jaguars - W
    Cardinals - W
    @ Steelers - W
    @ Seahawks - W
    Bengals - W
    49ers - W
    @ Browns - W
    Colts - L
    @ Chargers - W
    Browns - W
    @ Bengals - W

I'm going to go with 13-3. I don't think we've fine tuned enough for the Steelers in the first meeting, but we'll be ready by the second. Colts seem to be another mental block, and the Jets are a mini-Raven team, they're catching up to us.

Re: Predict Ravens Record: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

11-5

14-2

Losses at San Diego and not sure of the other. I think we get over the PIT hump in a big way and sweep them, but we will throw a clunker in sometime out of nowhere.

Home field and finally get to see Ray do his dance and M&T explode during the AFC Championship Game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Steelers - L
    @ Titans - W
    @ Rams - W
    Jets - L
    Texans - W
    @ Jaguars - W
    Cardinals - W
    @ Steelers - W
    @ Seahawks - W
    Bengals - W
    49ers - W
    @ Browns - W
    Colts - L
    @ Chargers - W
    Browns - W
    @ Bengals - W

I'm going to go with 13-3. I don't think we've fine tuned enough for the Steelers in the first meeting, but we'll be ready by the second. Colts seem to be another mental block, and the Jets are a mini-Raven team, they're catching up to us.
    Lose 3 at home and go undefeated on the road? Interesting.

I think though that 11-5 is enough to win the division. While a lot of pundits are ball washing the Steelers, I would take a pause. They are immediately stating that their defense is going to be lights out when there's a lot of age and injury that's creeping up on that team. In addition, they have to play the Pats who have their number and must go to Indy and Houston. That's not easy at all.
    Keep in mind, it's being reported today that Manning will need another surgery on his neck, and will be out "indefinitely". Certainly won't be starting the season, and I'd be very surprised if he's back by Week 3. That's a huge break for Pittsburgh if they get to go into Indy and only have to face Kerry Collins. I see 12-4 for Pittsburgh.

For the Ravens, I see 11-5. It's going to be a little rough early on, but they'll find their legs and make a late season surge for a wildcard spot.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFaninBMore View Post
    Keep in mind, it's being reported today that Manning will need another surgery on his neck, and will be out "indefinitely". Certainly won't be starting the season, and I'd be very surprised if he's back by Week 3. That's a huge break for Pittsburgh if they get to go into Indy and only have to face Kerry Collins. I see 12-4 for Pittsburgh.

For the Ravens, I see 11-5. It's going to be a little rough early on, but they'll find their legs and make a late season surge for a wildcard spot.
    Do you see Pittsburgh sweeping the Ravens?
    90% of the game is half mental

Quote Originally Posted by EdReed4HOF View Post
    Do you see Pittsburgh sweeping the Ravens?
    I believe Pittsburgh will win in Week 1. And it's certainly not going to be easy to go into Pittsburgh in primetime and get a win in Week 9.

I'd like to wait until I see what the teams look like at the quarter pole before predicting the Week 9 game...but if you held a gun to my head, I'd have to say that I'm leaning towards a sweep.

That's based entirely on the schedule. If the game in Baltimore was a couple weeks later instead of right out of the gate, or if they were playing in Pittsburgh first, then in Baltimore, I'd have completely different answers.

I believe Pittsburgh will win in Week 1. And it's certainly not going to be easy to go into Pittsburgh in primetime and get a win in Week 9.

I'd like to wait until I see what the teams look like at the quarter pole before predicting the Week 9 game...but if you held a gun to my head, I'd have to say that I'm leaning towards a sweep.

That's based entirely on the schedule. If the game in Baltimore was a couple weeks later instead of right out of the gate, or if they were playing in Pittsburgh first, then in Baltimore, I'd have completely different answers.
    Yeah I can see where you're coming from. Week 1 is gonna have such a huge impact even though it's just one game and early in the season. I think whoever wins week 1 is gonna win the 2nd game too. If the Ravens can just get that one win the Steelers with Ben at the helm that would be such a huge confidence boost. Us Ravens fans are uncertain as to what to expect, but so are the Steelers. It could go either way I guess. The Steelers look to be more in sync (offensively speaking) judging from the pre-season, but the fact that this game is in Baltimore will probably have some kind of effect in the outcome of the game.
    90% of the game is half mental

i agree completely. almost word for word what i said in another thread

11-5

Wildcard team