Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

Sticking with 10-6. The O line will take a month to gel. Flacco needs to get rid of the ball faster and thru pre season, he has not done that. Also undecided whether or not the running game will be better than last year. The D is under a new coach and the secondary is unproven. There are alot of question marks at this point.
    .....Support Our Warriors.....

Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

I agree. There are a lot of question marks still to be answered.

10-6.

I really hope they prove me wrong and do better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    19-0

Seriously though I can see 14-2, #1 seed and a championship. I really like the moves this offseason (even though they did not include Nnamdi).

Other than Nnamdi the main thing I wanted was to get Oher back to RT and to beef up the run game. I believe McKinney and Leach will do just that. The othr thing I wanted was a legit deep threat to keep the 8 man fronts away from Rice, then comes Evans.

On D I really blamed Mattison for most of the 4th Q comebacks with that 3 man rush prevent dfense garbage and off coverage all day long. I think the D will respond to a more aggressive approach and crank up the sacks and takeaways.

Actually I am sticking with 19-0. F it. Let me see someone beat this team when fully assembled before I give them a loss.

I'm sticking with 12 - 4. Also an AFC Championship match-up with New England. I think JW is right. Going from Mattison's soft read and react approach, playing off receivers, 3 man rushes to the old Ravens style, and the presence of more physical players on defense (Smith, Pollard, more Webb, no Gooden, no Fabian) will make this defense better. I loved Mason but getting him out of Joe's ear will be a plus, and should result in Joe becoming the leader that a QB needs to be. Oher to RT and Yanda to RG greatly improved 2 positions, and McKinney does not have to be All-Pro to equal the job Oher did last year at LT. At WR, if the Ravens have had a better pair than Boldin and Evans, I don't remember it. Finally, coaches usually do get better, especially in the area of game management. Harbaugh should continue to grow as a game coach, so that aspect should also be improved.

All this improvement on a team that was 12 -4 and up by 14 points at Pgh in the playoffs before trying to sit on the lead.

8-8

Missing the playoffs for the first time in the Harbaugh era.

11-5, split with Steelers (each team wins the away game).

Strong running game will be able to pound some teams into submission, passing game will still lag behind somewhat.

Pass rush and secondary will be better, but rush D will be worse than expected.

Blog Entries

There is really no way we should lose to Cleveland.

And I can't even fathom losing to the Titans.

Blog Entries

I think there will be some bumps in the road this year but they should win enough to make the wildcard.

10-6
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Sticking with 14-2.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

Steelers- L Too much too soon. The Ravens will not be ready.
    Titans- W
    Rams- W
    Jets- W
    Texans- L Will avenge their overtime loss from 2010.
    Jaguars- W
    Cardinals- W
    Steelers- W
    Seahawks- L Cross country road trip after a Steelers game.
    Bengals- W
    49ers- W
    Browns- L They're due.
    Colts- W
    Chargers- L Another cross country trip after a tough game.
    Browns- W
    Bengals- W

6-2 at home
    5-3 on the road

11-5 and a 5 or 6 seed wildcard team. Ravens will be in a late season play your way in situation, but benefit from what should be two soft games at the end.

Cam Cameron will be fired at the end of the season.

The Ravens will finish top 7 in total defense.

The Ravens will be one of the best running teams in the NFL but will still not be able to get their passing game where it needs to be.

Another wildcard win followed by another divisional round loss. The same frustration will force the Ravens to make a change at offensive coordinator.

T Jack and the Seahawks are not beating hte Ravens. Not going to happen.

The only games the Ravens will not be favored in will be at Pitt and at SD.

I have a hard time projecting any more than 4 losses, and think the under is more likely than the over.

Basically the team looks better on paper IMO than last year's 12-4 team and the schedule does not look as tough.

I can easily see the Ravens start out 2-2, the Jets and Steelers are going to exploit the lack of O-line continuity. I don't think that they will be used to playing with each other in those spots for 4-6 weeks so it will be an uphill battle to make the play-offs. I am with Gota on this.

9-7 unless the o-line plays out of their skulls right from the get-go.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I can easily see the Ravens start out 2-2, the Jets and Steelers are going to exploit the lack of O-line continuity. I don't think that they will be used to playing with each other in those spots for 4-6 weeks so it will be an uphill battle to make the play-offs. I am with Gota on this.

9-7 unless the o-line plays out of their skulls right from the get-go.
    How can the OL possibly be any worse than it was last year though?

I see this year's OL as anywhere from a medium to major upgrade over last year's that gave up 40 sacks and averaged only 3.7ypc on the ground. I also like Evans over Mason a lot even though I see them as close to equal rated, Evans brings more of what the O needed.

The Steelers and Jets are tough opponenets, but we have owned the Jets the way the Steelers have owned us. IMO winning both is more likely than losing both. The Ravens are one of the toughest road games on anyone's schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    How can the OL possibly be any worse than it was last year though?

I see this year's OL as anywhere from a medium to major upgrade over last year's that gave up 40 sacks and averaged only 3.7ypc on the ground. I also like Evans over Mason a lot even though I see them as close to equal rated, Evans brings more of what the O needed.

The Steelers and Jets are tough opponenets, but we have owned the Jets the way the Steelers have owned us. IMO winning both is more likely than losing both. The Ravens are one of the toughest road games on anyone's schedule.
    It can be worse because the center is hurt and he wasn't that strong at the point of attack last year. Not a lot of 2nd level blocks by him when the knees were "good" and I like Birk a lot. Maybe he was bad last year BECAUSE of the need for knee surgery, but he still was not very good. He hasn't had any contact this season and he will be rusty. If he isn't ready to go, Mattison is maybe going to be an OK center in the league someday, but that day won't be week 1 against the Steelers D.

Oher was very good 2 years ago at RT, he hasn't played there or practiced there much since. 10-12 days to change all your preparation and footwork to move back to the RT spot isn't a lot of time. It will be harder than you think for him and Yanda to make that transition and play well together.

McKinne is a total X factor. He could come in and play well because of the way he uses his size more than anything, but the fact remains he is going to barely be in "football shape" at best with only a couple weeks worth of work.He is protecting the franchises back and it could get really ugly with the Steelers pass rush. When the Jets come to town, Rex knows how to take advantage of a situation, you should know that.

I agree with you that Evans is what we have needed for a long time. I have stated that several times the last few days, but shades of days gone by with Boller (and last season Joe) back there getting killed because the o-line can't make a decent pocket for the QB keep dancing in my head.

Look, I hope I am wrong, believe me. With all the heavy emotion I expect to be feeling on 9-11, i really don't want to contemplate how bad a loss to the Steelers will make me feel, but I see this as a tough beginning of the season for the O-line. Thank God there are some easier teams on the schedule with the NFC West this year, but I expect a 2-2 record after week 4.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    It can be worse because the center is hurt and he wasn't that strong at the point of attack last year. Not a lot of 2nd level blocks by him when the knees were "good" and I like Birk a lot. Maybe he was bad last year BECAUSE of the need for knee surgery, but he still was not very good. He hasn't had any contact this season and he will be rusty. If he isn't ready to go, Mattison is maybe going to be an OK center in the league someday, but that day won't be week 1 against the Steelers D.

Oher was very good 2 years ago at RT, he hasn't played there or practiced there much since. 10-12 days to change all your preparation and footwork to move back to the RT spot isn't a lot of time. It will be harder than you think for him and Yanda to make that transition and play well together.

McKinne is a total X factor. He could come in and play well because of the way he uses his size more than anything, but the fact remains he is going to barely be in "football shape" at best with only a couple weeks worth of work.He is protecting the franchises back and it could get really ugly with the Steelers pass rush. When the Jets come to town, Rex knows how to take advantage of a situation, you should know that.

I agree with you that Evans is what we have needed for a long time. I have stated that several times the last few days, but shades of days gone by with Boller (and last season Joe) back there getting killed because the o-line can't make a decent pocket for the QB keep dancing in my head.

Look, I hope I am wrong, believe me. With all the heavy emotion I expect to be feeling on 9-11, i really don't want to contemplate how bad a loss to the Steelers will make me feel, but I see this as a tough beginning of the season for the O-line. Thank God there are some easier teams on the schedule with the NFC West this year, but I expect a 2-2 record after week 4.
    There are certainly question marks on the OL, we have not even seen them line up together yet, but as for Birk and Oher, I have a lot more confidence in them. Oher played very well over there as a rookie after never lining up there, so as a 3rd year guy, he should be much better at it than he was as a rookie.
    Birk was getting his knee drained like every week last year, and while he was not getting tot he second level, I thought he did his job well enough. Mattison stepped in for him some last year, and looks better this year. Grubbs wsa also dealing with bone spurs in his ankle that have been cleaned up so IMO at worse they are about the same as last year while dealing with nagging injuries, and hopefully a bit better.

Yanda back at RG should also be a major upgrade over Chester.

So last year Oher, Grubbs, Birk, Chester and Yanda with Cousins, Mattison and the guy from GB who's name I do not remember already do not look nearly as good on paper IMO as McKinney, Grubbs, Birk, Yanda, Oher with LeVoir, Reid and Mattison backing them.. I just can not see that group as any worse and possibly much better. So I not only hope you are wrong, but truly believe you are, although you do have legit concerns.

11-5. I think the Ravens split with the Steelers (would not be surprised if it was like last year), lose at SD, the Colts, the Texans and at Stl. That's potentially three home loses but the hardest part of their schedule is at home. The Colts defense gives them so many problems and the Texans knew they should've won last year but didn't finish the job.

I think though that 11-5 is enough to win the division. While a lot of pundits are ball washing the Steelers, I would take a pause. They are immediately stating that their defense is going to be lights out when there's a lot of age and injury that's creeping up on that team. In addition, they have to play the Pats who have their number and must go to Indy and Houston. That's not easy at all.

Harrison is not right and once teams figure it out they'll attack him. Is Jason Worllds ready? Can Lamar Woodley given them even more of a pass rush? Will Troy stay healhty? In addition, Ben has missed time because of injury in the past and with the way that o line has performed, he's going to take some shots. The Ravens have added young energetic pass rushers that while they may be green, they are what's needed to beat Ben and the Steelers imo. Pre-season MVP Antonio Brown has been anointed the second coming of Jimmy Smith (Jags) but do the Steelers think that teams are just going to let them just throw down the field without Ben being sacked/put on his ass? They'll go as far as Onthemend and Twinky take them because those two will see favorable matchups/numbers.

In the end though the Ravens just can't turn the ball over. They don't and they'll be fine.

Division champs but lose to the Jets in Baltimore for the AFC title. The city and Ravens fans will be apoplectic for a long time over that loss.