Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: David Reed Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Talib only stands charged at this point, Reed's criminal proceedings are completed. Reed received a PBJ, which allows the Commissioner to act.

With the exception of Pacman Jones and Chris Henry (because of multiple incidents), I don't believe any player has been suspended before their Court proceedings were disposed of.

Talib, Ward and Britt all still have their criminal dispositions pending. Until those are resolved, no NFL punishment will be occurring.
    Big Ben. he was charged with nothing and was suspended. The point im making is if you can suspend a guy for having weed and suspend a guy cuz he was accussed of rape but charged with nothing but you cant suspend a guy who shot and tried to kill someone? and if i remember correctly Goodell already meet with Britt and Talib and told them they wouldnt be suspended regardless of what happens in court, but he dosnt want to see them in his office again.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That wasn't my point.

Suppose pot was legal (which I'd support). I do not think the league would allow it, thus in this hypothetical he'd still have issues with the Commish.
    I get that, Houston. What I don't quite understand is what Rog's issue would be based on. As it stands in reality, the neighbors smelled pot and called the cops. In the fantasy world of marijuana being legal, who would the neighbors have called who would care? TMZ? The players' union has gotten pretty weak, but I couldn't imagine that Rog could suspend him based on an angry neighbor complaining in a gossip rag. If he hasn't come up hot on a piss test, how would Rog know to even have an issue?

I agree, by the way - even if marijuana is legalized, the NFL would still test and suspend for it. But, this case is a case of possession. If it were legal, I don't see how Reed would have a problem with the Commish, 'cuz the Commish theoretically wouldn't even know.

Blog Entries

A ring of eternal power cannot defend improper drug use. May David Reed learn from this and move forward a clean man.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post
    I get that, Houston. What I don't quite understand is what Rog's issue would be based on. As it stands in reality, the neighbors smelled pot and called the cops. In the fantasy world of marijuana being legal, who would the neighbors have called who would care? TMZ? The players' union has gotten pretty weak, but I couldn't imagine that Rog could suspend him based on an angry neighbor complaining in a gossip rag. If he hasn't come up hot on a piss test, how would Rog know to even have an issue?

I agree, by the way - even if marijuana is legalized, the NFL would still test and suspend for it. But, this case is a case of possession. If it were legal, I don't see how Reed would have a problem with the Commish, 'cuz the Commish theoretically wouldn't even know.
    thats the issue i have, When(cuz its gonna happen) weed becomes legal how can any employer suspend,fire,not hire you for testing positive for something thats perfectly legal? idt they can

Quote Originally Posted by Tucking View Post
    thats the issue i have, When(cuz its gonna happen) weed becomes legal how can any employer suspend,fire,not hire you for testing positive for something thats perfectly legal? idt they can
    Sure, they can. Most places have an "employee at will" policy in place. They tell you what they won't tolerate and by taking the job, you agree to live by that. The NFL already has an extensive conduct policy - it'll just fall under that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucking View Post
    Big Ben. he was charged with nothing and was suspended. The point im making is if you can suspend a guy for having weed and suspend a guy cuz he was accussed of rape but charged with nothing but you cant suspend a guy who shot and tried to kill someone? and if i remember correctly Goodell already meet with Britt and Talib and told them they wouldnt be suspended regardless of what happens in court, but he dosnt want to see them in his office again.
    I addressed Ben earlier. Ben was suspended for giving the league a blackeye, which is in the Commissioner's authority. But - and here's what is important - the Commissioner didn't suspend him until after the GA legal authorities had spoken.

As far as Talib and Britt go, there's also the complicating factor of their offenses occurred during the lockout and there's a question of whether they are even subject to league discipline (ie, all contracts were technically voided once the CBA expired, so if you're not contractually bound, how can you be suspended?). Reed's offense happened prior to the lockout, while is contract was still in force.

Regardless, I don't think - and I could be wrong - that the reports about Talib and Britt said that they wouldn't be suspended ever, just that they wouldn't be suspended now, which, again, goes with how they have generally done things - no suspension until after adjudication. In Talib's case, I'm pretty sure his trial isn't even set until after the season is over anyway.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 09-02-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Ravor is right about this. If Reed has a breakout season, without a suspension, the league could 'catch heat' for a rising star like Reed getting by without catching punishment for smoking weed, as if the league allows it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    Ravor is right about this. If Reed has a breakout season, without a suspension, the league could 'catch heat' for a rising star like Reed getting by without catching punishment for smoking weed, as if the league allows it.
    Really good turn, warlock.*

*On my phone so I don't know how to make that more sincere with an icon but that seriously made me laugh.

Blog Entries

But ben rapes and only gets 4 games???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    ballhawk--

I understand where you're coming from, but it's hard for me to sympathize with drug users. My dad was a drug user (admittedly, stuff WAY harder than pot) and it destroyed my family. Again, I know pot is not a hard drug and it's impossible to OD on it, but there is something unsavory to me about drugs in general, and I just can't defend someone who does them.

Is pot any different from alcohol? I don't know. But that's not really the point. Both are intoxicating substances that enable you to do stupid stuff/cause harm to others. The fact one is legal and the other isn't is illogical, but it doesn't mean both are good.
    i completely understand where you are coming from. we have all seen the destruction that drugs/alcohol cause on lives. marijuana is different. it does not destroy lives. alcohol destroys lives, marijuana doesn't. this isn't really the forum to debate it, and we can agree to disagree, but check out the link (or not). it illustrates alot of the hypocricy associated with marijuana.

http://www.norml.com

Blog Entries

reed had his case put on a stet docket. it is not the same as PBJ. basically the state said to his lawyer "we don't even want to go forward with this case just throw us a bone".

Goodell is an asshole.

"The stet docket is an inactive docket maintained by the state's attorney's office. If a case is placed on the stet docket, the defendant typically must waive his/her right to a speedy trial in the original case. The case remains on the stet docket for a specified period, during which, either the defendant or the state can ask the court to place the case back on the active docket for trial. Usually the prosecutor doesn't think the chances of a conviction are likely.There may be conditions attached when placing the case on the stet docket, such as no contact between the defendant and the victim/complainant." -from USLegal.com

"Probation before judgment is a term used in some states for a deferred adjudication, used by some states in sentencing certain first offenders. Laws governing probation before judgment are governed by state laws, which vary by state. The term and conditions of the probationary period is at the discretion of the judge. In some states, if the term of probation is successfully completed and there are no further violations, a sentence of not guilty will be imposed. Whether a probation before judgment counts as a conviction or is eligible for expungement varies by jurisdiction" -from USLegal.com
    Last edited by ballhawk; 09-02-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    After seeing him drop ball after ball yesterday I think they are safe either way..
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!