Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Not too surprising but even with that being said he should be better than Oher at LT who in turn should be better than Reid at RT. So still a net gain.
    Exactly. That's really the bottom line for the Ravens. I think McKinney is a big tease in terms of his abilities versus how he actually plays, but fir the Ravens at this point, all that matters is whether he's on upgrade at LT. I think he is.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Re: Bryant McKinnie - this blurb did not make me excited

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Don't confuse Greg Cosell with a talking head. He's really not even an on air guy. He's like Filmstudy only he get's to do it for a living.
    Not surprisingly, I see a parallel between the two takes on McKinney on film.

Cosell called him infuriatingly lazy. I think I recall Film saying that he wasn't very agressive and could simply get in the way of a pass rusher, being so big, to adequately wall off the quarterback.

You knew that the Vikings were not simply going to give up on a superstud left tackle without a better reason than occassional slacking off.

I recall being bothered when I first heard these kinds of reports and this kinda of supports it. I doubt one quarter of a preseason, game-four road game will offer much chance for us to assess for ourselves.

I think I heard Harbaugh talking about "now we have our mauler" and at the time it raised my eyebrows -- it didn't sound like the reports coming in on the guy. I wonder if its wishful thinking, or they've seen a more complete picture? Vince Newsome, I'm sure, wouldn't just go by reputation before they committed the money.

And I wonder if a rookie line coach, in essence, in Andy Moeller can motivate a veteran like McKinnie? Maybe Mr. Harbaugh and his doghouse have a new pet project.

Sometimes getting cut is huge motivator...

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    "but that'll make you work just hard enough to not get fired."

-Peter Gibbons

I am a huge believer in giving players a new shot to show who they are when they come to a new team. I guess this is due to my optimistic nature. I understand that McKinnie might have been lazy last year but as mentioned he was a Probowler the previous season. Last year the Vikings had serious troubles so I am not holding that against him.

Until it is proven otherwise I think McKinnie is a great signing and will really help the O-Line perform better than last year.
    I root for the Steelers; I root for their plane to go down.

I'd rather be dead than pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    A comparison was made on the radio this morning between the situation McKinnie is in, and Cris Carter's situtation around 20 years ago. Recall that the Eagles drafted Carter and he played well enough in the redzone that Buddy Ryan made the famous comment, "all he does is catch touchdowns." Ryan then cut him the next season after three years in Philly, because of drug abuse.

We all know the career Carter finally put together, ironically for the Vikings. Carter credits getting cut with being his wake-up call.

I don't know if McKinnie's personal problems equate fully to Carter's, but I hope he steps up his game in a similar fashion.

Before the Washington game, I noticed Ray gather up in a prayer circle with Berry and Reed (I think). All former Miami players.

I, for one, am hoping that bond will allow him to receive criticism if he plays for the Ravens like he did for the Vikings. The YouTube clips of Favre getting drilled after McKinney let off the DE are scary. Yes, Flacco is much younger, but considering who the #2 QB is, I'm not excited about Joe receiving that kind of punishment.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.

Blog Entries

I'm still not too thrilled about this signing because I've been hearing the same things about mckinnie since he was cut. I guess we will find out soon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

And I wonder if a rookie line coach, in essence, in Andy Moeller can motivate a veteran like McKinnie?
    What about those two fellow alumni from the U? I bet they remind him at every practice and every game what could be there for the taking this year.

He is an upgrade over Oher at LT, which in turn upgrades the whole right side of the line. And the potential is there for him to return to probowl form. Anybody questioning the ravens (cossell) for making this move can't be familiar with the oline issues we witnessed last year.

I know people talk about Ray motivating, because we see him on gamedays in that role. My impression is that it is difficult for fellow players to motivate each other unless they play on the same unit. Ray isn't in the 0-line meetings when they are doing film work, and he isn't there on the practice field as they are drilling technique, and he isn't there when it's time to work through the playbook. It would have to be players like Birk, Grubbs, Yanda and Oher who influence him, along with Moeller. In an ideal world, it would be a veteran llike McKinnie setting the tone for players like Reid and Harewood.

He might be the type of guy who plays well if he feels the team is doing well.

He was a Pro Bowler in '09. The Vikings were excellent in '09.

Favre started regressing in '10 and the team as a whole took a step back with him. Maybe McKinnie only plays up if he feels the team has a chance.

We have a chance.

I've seen this type of reporting before about McKinnie and the thought went through my mind a "healthy Gaither" meaning a lack of motivation. At this point, just give me average LT play for the year and this provides us a stable line everywhere else. I'll overlook sacks here and there but just don't get Flacco killed. From my reading, he's not a bad pass pro but not a mauler.