Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: The Packers Laid the Blueprint. Are the Ravens Even Capable of Following It?

A lot of the Ravens problems against the Steelers are on the defensive side of the ball. We tend to let them score when the game is on the line, when we have a lead.

It seems we hold them in check all game, then "play not to lose" with conservative defense, and let them off of the hook.

Blog Entries

Re: The Packers Laid the Blueprint. Are the Ravens Even Capable of Following It?

Flacco beat their first string defense (twice). I have no reason to believe he can't do it again. The question is can the defense stop Ben?
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    A lot of the Ravens problems against the Steelers are on the defensive side of the ball. We tend to let them score when the game is on the line, when we have a lead.

It seems we hold them in check all game, then "play not to lose" with conservative defense, and let them off of the hook.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_N1O...yer_detailpage

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

There are many ways to skin a cat. The Ravens were beating the Steelers in the playoff game last year but couldn't seal the deal. They also kept it close in the Sunday night game at home, before giving up 10 points in the 4th quarter. The blueprint is that you need to close out games. Spreading your receivers out is one way to attack their defense. Giving them different looks and not doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is another. Another key part of the blueprint is to protect the QB and not give up stupid turnovers.
    Founder of The J. Peterman Company - JPeterman.com - Follow me on Twitter

Blog Entries

Exactly it ain't rocket science we know we can and have beat them we just need to close out these games.

I understand the idea of the "blue print" and the impact of the passer-friendly rules on the plan to win games, but I do not yet see the personnel or the mind-set that adopts that strategy on this team to start the season. Right now, I still see the two TE sets, the smash-mouth running to [ eat up the clock/keep Ben off the field/keep the defense fresh], and the play-action to give Joe the time to read the options. We saw some glimpses of an open assault during the KC playoff game, but then had an implosion to flip a lead in the Pittsburgh game. Also, I am not sure that the ability to adjust in-game (whether coach or player) has gotten better.

The idea in the playoff game of striking first and fast is now proven. The next step is to avoid the execution-mistakes and to deliver the final blows. The Ravens have to act like a shark reacting to blood in the water. To try to hold a lead will not put the Steelers down. Attack-mode for sixty minutes (both offensively and defensively) is the "blue-print", no matter what formations are used. And using the personnel with their strengths, and not just with a plan, is necessary.

Blog Entries

I can't think of 2 teams in the league that are closer to mirror images of each other than the ravens and steelers. And it shows in their head to head record over the last few years, which is about. 500. I think the ravens completely getting away from who they are and trying to mimic the pats or the pack would have disastrous results. Flacco is no brady and he is no rodgers. Ravens just need to continue playing to their strengths and execute better.
    Last edited by ballhawk; 08-31-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Watching the first half of the Falcons-Steelers game, the wide open passing attack actually nullified Woodley, who was just running around in the secondary looking for someone to cover. That wide open attack also exposed the Steeler secondary as extremely pourous.

The only way to beat the Steelers is by flooding the field with receivers. And, that no-huddle by the Falcons wore out the blitzing pack from Pittsburgh in the 2nd Qtr. The Steelers can be had. In fact, Matt and the Falcons blew three certain TDs in the 1st half alone.

I am not sure Cam is smart enough to beat the Steelers. The same can be said of the mental toughness of Joe Flacco.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Firststater View Post

I am not sure Cam is smart enough to beat the Steelers.
    :grbac::grbac::grbac:

he had them up against the ropes last january. i don't recall Cam fumbling the ball, dropping any passes, throwing any ints, or blowing any coverage assignments in that game.

I obviously don't think Cam is dumb, but I think there is a difference between game plans that are meant to play to your strengths vs. game plans that are meant to play up your opponents weaknesses. I think the latter approach will be especially important in week 1 with how shaky the o-line has looked.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    :grbac::grbac::grbac:

he had them up against the ropes last january. i don't recall Cam fumbling the ball, dropping any passes, throwing any ints, or blowing any coverage assignments in that game.
    If Cam were a smart field general he would stop calling that lame end-around, as if he has run out of downfield plays; He would never have said that audibles are "overrated" in the NFL. He would have taught his QB how to read defenses by now, and after three years forced him into getting rid of the ball quicker instead of taking useless sacks. Cam seemingly refused to transfer power to his QB through last season for one reason or another--Trust??

Only now he proclaims that Flacco has audibles built into some 48% of his plays, after saying that they are overrated. This preseason is the first time I have ever seen Cam communicate with his QB on the sidelines during a game. Historically, Flacco gets into trouble and has stood on the sidelines alone, and without obvious support from the OC. We all know that Cameron is lucky to still on this team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Firststater View Post
    If Cam were a smart field general he would stop calling that lame end-around, as if he has run out of downfield plays; He would never have said that audibles are "overrated" in the NFL. He would have taught his QB how to read defenses by now, and after three years forced him into getting rid of the ball quicker instead of taking useless sacks. Cam seemingly refused to transfer power to his QB through last season for one reason or another--Trust??

Only now he proclaims that Flacco has audibles built into some 48% of his plays, after saying that they are overrated. This preseason is the first time I have ever seen Cam communicate with his QB on the sidelines during a game. Historically, Flacco gets into trouble and has stood on the sidelines alone, and without obvious support from the OC. We all know that Cameron is lucky to still on this team.
    i don't like cam, haven't since 2008 (thought he did a great job running that offense with a rookie QB). but at some point, the players have to execute. that game in pitt last january had the makings of a blowout. cam didn't give it away, the players did.

i am of the "its a new year mindset". 2011 has its own brand new factors that have yet to play out. most notably, cam knows that this is a make or break season for him. i expect him to pull out all the stops. with lee evans he has the deep threat he needs to make his offense go. this season hinges on the oline more than anything. if they can come together, we could see cam's "ideal" offense materialize.

i'll reserve my judgements until i see this offense execute this year.