Is there a 4th pass catcher of significance?

The Ravens seem to have 3 experienced, reliable targets in the passing game heading into this season: Boldin, Evans, and Rice. In theory, Evans stretches the field, Boldin is the possession receiver, and Rice keeps doing his thing with the dump off passes.

Will we have a significant 4th pass catching option emerge? I thinking at least 35 catches and 500 yards. For reference, last year Todd Heap had about 40 for 600 and Houshmandzadeh had about 30 for 400. They were 4th and 5th in catches and yards respectively.

It's an interesting question given the large number of young players who will fight for opportunities.

TE - Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta
    WR - David Reed, Tandon Doss, Torrey Smith, and LaQuan Williams

You could list more but these are the ones that in my opinion have even a small chance of taking that role.

I think there's a reasonable shot that Dickson or Reed become a dominant 4th option, but I see it as more likely that a hadnful of these guys take opportunities from one another and all end up with at most 30 catches and 400 yds.

Of course, this all assumes that Boldin and Evans stay healthy.

Blog Entries

Re: Is there a 4th pass catcher of significance?

Dickson is the most likely since he's going to be on the field for most plays. He should catch more balls than the #3 WR.

Agreed, but any chance he dominates the production of the other pass pass catchers beyond Evans, Boldin, and Rice?

Will he be a significant force in the passing game, or just another guy that chips in a few hundred yards?

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

FWIW, I think a lot depends upon Cameron's game plans as to whether a #3 receiver is a critical element or not. If the Ravens can take 1st half leads into Q3 and run the ball effectively, the stats may look like the #3 (or even #1, #2, etc.) is not "significant". I honestly have no idea what Cameron and Harbaugh have up their sleeves for this year's offense (hopefully it's more than just a hairy arm), but I really hope Flacco and his receivers develop a rapport to the extent that the passing game is not as seemingly ineffective during second half drives to put games away as it has felt the past few seasons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Agreed, but any chance he dominates the production of the other pass pass catchers beyond Evans, Boldin, and Rice?

Will he be a significant force in the passing game, or just another guy that chips in a few hundred yards?
    It's very possible that Dickson ends up with a lot more catches than Evans. If Flacco doesn't get the time to get the ball down field he's going to have to go to Dickson a lot this season. Evans going deep and Boldin being the #1 WR is going to leave Dickson in a lot of single coverage. He has the speed to take advantage of that. In terms of number of catches I can see it being Rice, Boldin, Dickson, Evans.

I have noticed they have been executing the quick slants this preseason which will help with the pressure. Flacco has hit Boldin, Evans, and even tried with Smith. I also hope someone steps up for the slot position.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravskins View Post
    I have noticed they have been executing the quick slants this preseason which will help with the pressure. Flacco has hit Boldin, Evans, and even tried with Smith. I also hope someone steps up for the slot position.
    Me too! I'm thinking Smith will step up in that department, although I'm seeing Doss or Reed as the #3 to start.

Blog Entries

Dickson could be a defensive coordinator's nightmare. He's a big mismatch with his speed and size.