Blog Entries

What makes a rivalry?

I recently ran across a discussion about this on another AFC North team's board. Some of the posters believe that Ravens-Steelers is not a real rivalry because if it were not for both teams being successful right now people would not be talking about it. It was compared to Pats/Colts, which I think is strictly media made.

The Ravens being a new franchise we clearly don't have the history that the Steelers/Browns/ Bengals rivalries have. But does that matter?

Does passion matter? Does location matter? Does the two teams being competitive and playing in big games matter? What's most important and what makes a good rivalry?

Also, what rivalry do you think is best in the division? Steelers-Ravens, Steelers-Browns or some other combination?

Blog Entries

Re: What makes a rivalry?

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/ind...pic=20029&st=0

The thread that sparked my interest.

(If its not allowed, feel free to delete)

Rivalries are usually born out of teams being successful at the same time. Sometimes they linger long after both teams have had their ups and downs, sometimes they fade away.

I think because of the proximity and similarity between Baltimore and Pittsburgh, this is one that won't fade away any time soon.

It's definitely a real rivalry. It's a new rivalry but it's real. There are a couple of different types of rivalries. One is the competitive rivalries like the Pats/Colts, Steelers/Raiders of old and the rivalry will stop to exist once one or both teams become irrelevant.

The other is more of a traditional rivalry like division rivals that play each other on a regular basis. Many of them are geographical like the Browns/Steelers but some are not like the Skins/Cowboys. They're both though are division rivals which makes it go.

Right now, the Ravens/Steelers is one of the best in the NFL. They have the competitive rival and the traditional rival (at least building on it) going at the same time. I can see the Browns/Steelers reemerge when or if the Browns become relevant again.

Rat Birds - ha ha-

They seemed pissed that no one understands the rivalry.
    There is a whole generation of Generation Y that dont understand that the Browns are so valuable that their should be a rivalry with both the Ravens and the Steelers.

The Steelers rivalry may fade...

I think that when we play DC in regular season play...
    It will be a "fo real" game with intensity.

And I think the Jets are an upcoming rival because they are like the neighbors that started going to a new school. they always have our old players and coaches.... And the Jets have a personality - based in part of their larger than life coach...

IMO-

Blog Entries

Wow, opinions really are like assholes.

Anyway, everything happens in cycles. Bills v Dolphins was huge once. But time changes everything. 20 Years from now, Pittsburgh v Baltimore may be nothing, but now it's the best.

Yet what makes a rivalry? When two closely matched opponents continually need to beat each other to get to the top. Never doubt that one thing that makes the Steelers strong to the rest of the league is playing us twice a year.

Had a Steeler fan tell me, before last year's championship game that:

"Our luck (vs Ravens) has gotta' run out sometime ..."

Just wish he'd give me a date.

I'll hate Pittsburgh for the rest of my life.

That's I how I know it's a rivalry.

I also think that black market ticket sales indicate the value of the game...
    steelers, jets, colts - are in high demand and are costly.
    the colts are a rivalry but we dont play them every year...

browns, bengals... you cant give them away and they are always the last game of the season.