Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: OT - Pump up Songs

One of the most irritating things for me at Orioles' games are all of the prompts that they play - "Let's Go O's", the clapping Oriole, etc. Anything that attempts to "make" me do something is going to fall on its face.

I want the crowd to generate the noise or respond to the songs. Play a few and see what people grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    I want the crowd to generate the noise or respond to the songs. Play a few and see what people grab.
    :word

Blog Entries

Only comment I'll make is that last night, they played the fight song after we punted the ball. Because we hadn't scored in awhile and I guess they were trying to "excite the fans".

Lame. Very lame.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by CRZA938 View Post
    Hello Real Fan,
    So what am I looking for.. really for these songs to help create an even more chaotic environment than already is in the stadium. I personally think music does add to the environment of a football game but not critically.
    Fair enough. I thought it was the "feeling" you were looking for.
    What the cheers and the Fight Song do is give the Fans the chance to do something together in support of their team. A display of unity if you will.

When the greater part of the crowd does something together, it really rocks the house. Sounds cool as shi itt too. The Jets, Eagles, Bears, and the Pack all do it. We used to do it here in Bmore with the Fight Song and the C-O-L-T-S cheer, so we already have the tradition. As such it's best to do these kinds of things after TD's, when the crowd is celebrating.

Your pump up music is to get you fired up to promote chaotic noise when the Ravens are on D. The purpose of the cheers and the song is to promote unity while celebrating after a score, so we're really talking apples and oranges here.

All I'm saying is if you're into one aspect of crowd participation in the game, why not give the other a try?

CPT O -

Nobody's trying to make you do anything lol. Traditions like yelling "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!" after a score take a while to take hold, but i would submit to you that there is already 10x more participation in this version of the fight song than there ever was in the old fight song.

Both of you think about it for a second. If the entire stadium joined in on any one thing in support of the Ravens, wouldn't that rock the place like a mf'er? :D

Now think about this. Maybe the only reason why the cheer or the fight song sounds weak to you, is because you haven't added your mighty kick ass voices to it yet? ;)
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    I think Prodigy's Invaders Must Die might be the perfect pump up song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIuai...eature=related
    Anything by The Prodigy would be awesome... Firestarter, Omen, Breathe? Hell yeah.
    Founder of The J. Peterman Company - JPeterman.com - Follow me on Twitter

Blog Entries

The Ravens need to take some lessons from Caps games. They have awesome songs during the Caps games.

Also, I've never been a fan of the band. I appreciate the tradition, but it just seems corny to have at a pro football game.

Sorry, Real Fan Dan. You must not have been to Section 140 yet. We are rowdy and wild; just not domesticated.

As for the fight song, I play it from my van's speakers while approaching Lot O on Ostend Street before tailgating. It seems to be a celebratory song than a Pump-Up song, though.

I will concede that I doubt that marketing would pick my 60's/70's song preference for the majority of the audience.

They should play "Two Steps from Hell" by Heart of Courage before kickoffs.
    90% of the game is half mental

Blog Entries

I'm for them making changes to the music that they play but what I don't like is how they try to force down or throats what they want us to do. like last year when they brought brought back the colts fights song (yes its the colts not the Ravens) and played it over and over during the preseason and told the crowd to sing along. As for them telling us what to get pumped up over do you think in Pittsbugh they told the fans to get pumped over certin songs NO. They should play songs that they think the crowd may take to and see which catch on. Not just force on us what a few people in suits in the office like.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    the band. I appreciate the tradition, but it just seems corny to have at a pro football game.
    I suspect most people feel that way. We want to like it because of the marching Colts band story, but it just doesn't work in the context of a modern stadium with an $8 million sound system.

Maybe if the band wore original uniforms and had original members there would be a cool factor. But you feel like it's a group of pimply, plump kids from Harfort County wearing March of The Tin Soldiers costumes. Way more band camp than cool.

I've said before that in order to be relevant I'd work on mic'ing them up a whole lot more, and I'd be looking for band members who came out of those great college high-stepping marching bands, Florida A&M, Moorehouse College House of Funk, etc.

You either go that way, or you go the opposite, Stanford Cardinal's ragtag group -- everyone wears their own homemade costume and becomes interesting characters, like some of the fans in the stands. A lot of Captain Defense types sitting together, except they have instruments.

The tradition could live, but at the same time keep up with the times.

Blog Entries

I am anti-band, I mean they...well, they can play their instruments. That is about the best thing I can say about them.

Whoever makes the music decisions, or "pump up" decisions, is very, very wrong if they are depending on the band to "pump up" the crowd. While I'm sure there are some who like the band, the majority does not, and even those who do like the band are NOT going to be "pumped up" by them playing.

I could do without ever hearing another "Top 40 hit" butchered by them at halftime...love the preseason halftime because you get to watch the little kids play, and not have to suffer through another terrible band performance...