Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First team D

Re: First team D

I hear you guys about Redding, and its a possibility... but usually those trades right before the regular season dont net you anything great. I'd say Redding isnt worth getting rid of for a 5th or 6th. Sure McPhee & Jones look great but most of their action is against the 2nd/3rd teams. Personally, I wouldnt do it. The more DL depth you got .. the better you are.

I think Fox was that candidate to showcase for a potential trade... Unfortunately for the Ravens, his performance against the Skins was a nothing short of a laying a turd.

2. Re: First team D

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    Foxy better not be our starting CB. I think it has to be Smith and Carey Williams with Webb as our third. Otherwise, Shittsburgh will burn us with their young speedy WR's
    Webb should be lined up opposite Mike Wallace all game long, he's our best corner to keep up with his speed.
    UKRavenGordon's Gametrips

2009 v Cleveland W
    2010 @ New York Jets W
    2011 (January 2012) @ New England AFCCG L

I think Webb's speed is pretty overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think Webb's speed is pretty overrated
    He has shown straight line speed plenty of times vs Wallace and on his INT vs Stallworth. His coverage issues seem to be more with double moves and routes other than straight 9s.

:T2:

He also almost got caught from behind on his kickoff TD return his rookie year, and when he was running back the fumble against the Eagles, he practically got caught by Ruki and an undrafted corner.

He deflected a pretty badly underthrown ball to Wallace (thrown by Batch) and he did make a nice play in the back of the end zone here on Wallace. He also got smoked by Antonio Brown.

I mean I don't think he showed much speed on the INT against the Skins...he was playing way off and didn't take the double move bait...a CB better be able to stay in front of the guy if you are playing 10 yards off.

Really looking forward to the final pre-season game. We need to get the young D guys some experience with the first team, because VERY soon they will be the first team. McPhee, Kindle, Kruger, Art Jones, etc can bring energy, new look, and fresh legs.

RE: some other comments -- we MUST find some depth at ILB. Next to Ray we have two UFAs (Jameel and Danelle) a flop (Gooden) and an undersized ST (Ayenbadejo) -- WTF?

At CB we need to determine whether we have depth or just a bunch of guys. I wonder if Webb should be looked at very closely as a potential FS (college position).

This team is very unsettled going into game one, and it's against the one teaam we muxt beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    He has shown straight line speed plenty of times vs Wallace and on his INT vs Stallworth. His coverage issues seem to be more with double moves and routes other than straight 9s.
    Completely agree. IIRC, Wallace really hasn't been to much of a problem for us in the past. While he is not the best at coverage, Webb is probably the best playmaking CB we have in the secondary. Great hands, speed, and ability to score when the rock is in his hands. We may actually need him to cover Antonio Brown after today's performance. He was off the charts.

I believe they then use Jimmy Smith on Mike Wallace and Cary Williams on Whines Hard. Chris Carr will be used sparingly on 3-4 WR sets covering the shifty Emmanuel Sanders. I do like how we match up against there offense. If we press and have Ed play CF with Pollard blitzing off the edge, it could be really effective on passing downs. I could also see Pagano doing the chaotic 9 package (Like Rex) and have everyone stand up. With the kind of depth we have in the secondary, I can see Smith, Webb, Williams, Carr, Foxy, Pollard, Naku, and Ed all on the field at once.

8. Re: First team D

I thought Carr did pretty well against Ward last year.

I wish the Ravens would have signed Kirk Morrison even for a year to play beside Ray this year. McClain just seems to get lost in the shuffle at times and doesn't do great at one particular thing. Ellerbe is still progressing as well. I wouldn't be shocked to see them grab somebody for depth unless they feel Bynes or Ayanbadejo can offer something.

I really hope they dump Foxworth. He's just not worth that $.

I like the pieces the Ravens have but it ticks me off because there is still so many ?'s and it could wind up being the defense we had for the last few years. I hope not, I love Pagano's creativity.

Blog Entries

We have some good pass rushers this year. I'm hoping that McPhee is on the field as much as possible. He's been an absolute beast.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    We have some good pass rushers this year. I'm hoping that McPhee is on the field as much as possible. He's been an absolute beast.
    That swim move against Locklear (who was a starting RT for the Seahawks) was impressive.

I'm not sure that McPhee could be THAT relentless against top tiered OL's, but I have to think that if he can put the moves like that on a guy who was a starting RT then he could do that against a lot of OL'men.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Yeah, GOTA warned me that Locklear was crap against the pass and it showed.

Ngata was clearly half-assing it. Nearly all of them were except Redding.

When they got down 14-0, and after the D-Linemen were getting an earful on the side, you could see the put in much better effort and it showed.

Toward the end of the first half they did start rotating Kruger in on passing downs, taking Cody off the field. Same with Gooden.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That swim move against Locklear (who was a starting RT for the Seahawks) was impressive.

I'm not sure that McPhee could be THAT relentless against top tiered OL's, but I have to think that if he can put the moves like that on a guy who was a starting RT then he could do that against a lot of OL'men.
    Either way, I really like him as a guy to use to help tire out the tackles and just create havoc in the back field. Definitely a guy to help spell JJ out for passing downs IMO. The best thing about having a lot of good pass rushers is always keeping them fresh.