Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: Mike Flanagan Passes Away

Not here to defend Angelos, but it appears Mike had bigger issues, as much as people want to vilify the owner over this, it can't be allowed. People bear many burdens large and difficult all over the world and do not take such drastic actions. If it was indeed Mike's thought that he was responsible for the state of the team, he clearly wasn't seeing anything clearly.

R.I.P. Flanny, you were an amazing Oriole in every facet.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Then they read Peter Angelos's statement, and I thought something I probably shouldn't have. Let's just say I had no empathy for him.
    I live maybe a quarter mile from the Flannagans. I came home early from work yesterday. As I passed his house, around 4:50, a Baltimore County police was coming out of his driveway, pulling to a stop at York Road. I thought it was odd, but chalked it up to maybe an errant burglar alarm. That was just a half hour after the 911 call. Very surreal to wake up and hear the news this morning.

I hate to say it, but I had the same reaction about Angelos. I didn't hear his formal statement, but I did hear statements by Gerry Sandusky and Jim Duquette. Both suggested that Mike really struggled with the negative comments from fans and the media, feeling unfairly blamed for baseball club's embarrassing downfall.

It's a good reminder that things we say and write about players and managment are felt, and do hurt -- and we rarely know the whole story we think we know. While these boards are a good place to vent, we should all think twice about dumping on people in the public eye. Sometimes the criticism goes too far, or is based on faulty insights.

Duquette's comments, in particular, stood out for me. Not only did he confirm that the state of the baseball club burdened Flanny, he went on to cryptically talk about things that went on inside the warehouse that no one will ever really know about that made it difficult for Flanny to do his job the way he wanted to do his job. I have a good guess what that generally means--most of us probably do.

If anything good comes of this, I can only pray that it leads to fresh ownership in Baltimore. I realize that might sound hypocritical, given what I said about blaming public sports figures for negative events. It may be unfair for me to connect the dots in this way, but for god sake, show some mercy Mr. Angelos and sell the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Not here to defend Angelos, but it appears Mike had bigger issues, as much as people want to vilify the owner over this, it can't be allowed. People bear many burdens large and difficult all over the world and do not take such drastic actions. If it was indeed Mike's thought that he was responsible for the state of the team, he clearly wasn't seeing anything clearly.

R.I.P. Flanny, you were an amazing Oriole in every facet.
    I have to agree with Captain Silver here! Mike was dealing with something more serious than any of us can imagine, and he succombed to that illness. Angelos was not the cuplrit here, and I am not an Angelos fan.

This is still painful to talk about. Mike was such a class guy, and a real gamer on the mound - the guy never quit, and that is why he'll always be remembered as one of the Oriole greats in the truest sense of the word.

R.I.P. Mike
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

As a native Baltimorean, I grew up with the Orioles. First in the International League and finally the major league. What memories. Mike Flannigan was as piure a pitcher and man as you could ask for. Although I do hate Angelos (Havent followed the Birds for years because of him), I agree it is not his fault.

Rest in Peace Mike. Baltimore fans will never forget you. God I'm sad today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    As a native Baltimorean, I grew up with the Orioles. First in the International League and finally the major league. What memories. Mike Flannigan was as piure a pitcher and man as you could ask for. Although I do hate Angelos (Havent followed the Birds for years because of him), I agree it is not his fault.

Rest in Peace Mike. Baltimore fans will never forget you. God I'm sad today.
    Bout sums it up for me.

Maybe I'm already into the anger stage of grieving, so I don't want to rush to "blame" Angelos. That wasn't my point. But it certainly sounds like the culture of the Orioles over the last 15 years comes into play.

To me, there is a pall over the whole organization, and this may be the low point. Headed to 100 losses and then this with their former Cy Young winning pitcher, pitching coach, GM, and longtime broadcaster.

While it obviously isn't all Angelosers fault! He apparently will carry some of the burden, and blame! I feel sorry for his family, and friends! Our baseball team has been destroyed, and Mike apparently took that hard, as many of us fans do! It is so unfortunate that his life ended this way! Now we have lost one of the few respectable people still associated with the orginization! :(

8. Re: OT: Mike Flanagan Passes Away

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I live maybe a quarter mile from the Flannagans. I came home early from work yesterday. As I passed his house, around 4:50, a Baltimore County police was coming out of his driveway, pulling to a stop at York Road. I thought it was odd, but chalked it up to maybe an errant burglar alarm. That was just a half hour after the 911 call. Very surreal to wake up and hear the news this morning.

I hate to say it, but I had the same reaction about Angelos. I didn't hear his formal statement, but I did hear statements by Gerry Sandusky and Jim Duquette. Both suggested that Mike really struggled with the negative comments from fans and the media, feeling unfairly blamed for baseball club's embarrassing downfall.

It's a good reminder that things we say and write about players and managment are felt, and do hurt -- and we rarely know the whole story we think we know. While these boards are a good place to vent, we should all think twice about dumping on people in the public eye. Sometimes the criticism goes too far, or is based on faulty insights.

Duquette's comments, in particular, stood out for me. Not only did he confirm that the state of the baseball club burdened Flanny, he went on to cryptically talk about things that went on inside the warehouse that no one will ever really know about that made it difficult for Flanny to do his job the way he wanted to do his job. I have a good guess what that generally means--most of us probably do.

If anything good comes of this, I can only pray that it leads to fresh ownership in Baltimore. I realize that might sound hypocritical, given what I said about blaming public sports figures for negative events. It may be unfair for me to connect the dots in this way, but for god sake, show some mercy Mr. Angelos and sell the team.
    good analysis Shas. I think it is safe to say there are other factors involved then baseball. Maybe the losing pushed it over the edge, we'll never know. With depression, there is always some sort of chemical imbalance in the brain and I have to think Mike was suffering from it in some way.

I think we all hope Angelos sells the team to someone who will run it like Steve Bisciotti runs the Ravens, with passion and desire to win. At the end of the day as a fan, that is all you can ask for.

I just feel empty today, like a close friend died. Even though I never met Flanny, he was always an Oriole thru and thru. No matter how mediocre of a GM he might of been, he was always someone you loved and pulled for. This sucks....

9. Re: OT: Mike Flanagan Passes Away

I appreciate the thoughtful comments on this thread about Flanny. The Sun's chat board has completely disinegrated into nonsense with one poster pulling out critical comments made about Flanagan and blaming them for his death. Unbelievable. I am done with the Sun's forums for good.

Blog Entries

Thing about flanny, just like brooks, cal, palmer, dempsey, etc, is that he stayed in the community and we all got to know him from the years he spent in the broadcast booth. I used to love listening to him call games. To think that he killed himself because of a misguided perception that this community hated him and carried him to blame. My dear lord! It hurts bad.

Makes me feel worse and worse today more I read about him from Olney, posters on here, Tim K etc...there has to have been some serious issues obviously. I have 3 daughters and a son and I just have no idea how I could take it upon myself to never see them again. Man this makes me sad.

Assuming he did feel the community blamed him, I can see why then people's thoughts turn to Angelos.

It's not a feeling of blame, at least for me. Rather, Angelos is now an embodiment for everything that is wrong with the Orioles. More so than ever, we are reminded the depths and levels to which this team has fallen under his stewardship.

A great team has fallen and now a great Oriole has fallen. Both fell from grace not by the hands of another but by their own doing -- and that's simply painful to think about.