Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I've stayed in that hotel. Once.

Won't go back. Did not feel safe and a tad out if the way.

I've found great deals at the Hilton Garden Inn / Homewood Suites on Presidents Street. Harbor East is very safe and one block from the Harbor. Only three from Fells Point.

Re: Planned trip to Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I've stayed in that hotel. Once.

Won't go back. Did not feel safe and a tad out if the way.

I've found great deals at the Hilton Garden Inn / Homewood Suites on Presidents Street. Harbor East is very safe and one block from the Harbor. Only three from Fells Point.
    Bit worrying. How come you felt unsafe- one of the reasons I went for this one was that it seemed fairly close by to the harbor and was within walking distance of the stadium (not sure how realistic that is but looks ok on google streetmap!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    Bit worrying. How come you felt unsafe- one of the reasons I went for this one was that it seemed fairly close by to the harbor and was within walking distance of the stadium (not sure how realistic that is but looks ok on google streetmap!)
    It's ok, but there are better places that are newer and within the same distance of everything. Just north of that hotel is where the dicey areas begin.

Fair enough, went for this one as it was a bit cheaper than others in the area- other cheap ones were miles away like motels so pretty pointless without a car.

Cheers for the advice though, and I'll make sure I stay south of the hotel, particularly in the evenings!

Gotta say, Sunday's game has only made me look forward to this even more!!

Wink Re: Planned trip to Baltimore

Ravenblue: Since you may be struggling with the sticker shock of downtown hotels, a more cost-effective option which still allows you to use cheap public transportation would be to stay at a BWI Airport area hotel. A good listing is here:

http://baltimore.airporthotelguide.com/map.html

There is a mixture of mid-level hotels, to go along with the pricey ones. There are some discount hotels, e.g. Red Roof Inn and Microtel. I had a friend who stayed at Microtel a few months who was very pleased with room and fellow hotel guests. And the Red Roof Inn is fairly new. I stayed at the Four Points last winter for an early flight -- closest hotel to the airport. I got a room for $125 or so.

You should be able to get an shuttle to the airport from any of these hotels. From the airport, you can take the Light Rail to the stadium or other downtown locations for $1.65, or the MARC train into the Nation's Crime Capital for $5.

Advantage: safe suburban area, cheaper

Disadvantage: inconvenience to return to your room after all-day downtown activities. Expect 45 minutes to hour each way waiting for shuttle van & trains. Also, the Light Rail can get seedy at late hours (cab or MARC are potential alternatives)
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

6. Re: Planned trip to Baltimore

I was looking around for you for cheap hotels, and travelocity.com has a real good deal on the Raddisson Lord Baltimore Hotel. avg $74 a night. Just an FYI. Not sure your price range, but thats a nice price for that hotel, only 3 blocks from the inner harbor. The hampton inn you picked will be fine its closer to the inner harbor and power plant and bars etc.
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

Cheers guys.

Hope the Hampton will be ok. I plan on making a few trips over for games(doubt they'll be as regular as I'd like though!) so if not then will certainly bear in mind some of your suggestions.

Blog Entries

Don't worry about staying in that area, Ravenblue. Hampton Inn on East Redwood Street is not in a dodgy part of town. The only advice I think is necessary to give to someone staying in downtown is to not get visibly stumbling drunk and roam around not paying attention to your surroundings. All the scary stuff they portray on The Wire happens further out in the residential areas, not downtown. You'll be fine.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

I'm assuming Baltimore will be no different from any major city- there will be nice areas and places to avoid. I live in Nottingham which is the 'Gun Crime Capital of the UK', but as as long as you're not involved in the drugs scene, you never encounter any problems.

Wink Re: Planned trip to Baltimore

I'm assuming Baltimore will be no different from any major city- there will be nice areas and places to avoid.
    Basically true. Just follow my advice way up above: stay close to the harbor in the downtown area, as it wraps around from the base of Federal Hill all the way out to Canton. And take cabs after sundown. Depending on time of day, the Inner Harbor, Harbor East, Little Italy, Fells Point, and Canton are well populated and police patrolled.

The further away from the harbor, the more likely you would be to get into trouble. If you want to study it, look up the City police detailed crime map.

Nottingham which is the 'Gun Crime Capital of the UK'
    That's too bad. When I visited Nottingham, it appeared to be a picturesque "olde" English town inviting to tourist with its teahouses, fish & chips, etc.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

That map's actually pretty interesting. Looks like the main issue with where I'll be is larceny.

To be be honest, Nottingham is a lovely place, it's just a couple of areas that are dodgy. Lived there 26 years and only time gun crime has ever affected me was when a bus route into town for a night out had to be diverted after a suspected shooting in the Meadows area (definately not as nice as it sounds!).

Saw this thread, figured I'd throw in a little of my professional advise regarding travel and hotels.

Bedbugs!!!

No joke here or anywhere right now.

I'd highly advise you do a thorough inspection of the rooms you will be staying in prior to unpacking your stuff and getting comfortable in your accommodations.

Start by looking Here prior to booking or staying in a room.
    This list I assure you does not contain all the places that have had infestations or treatments for bedbugs, but it will at least give you an idea how serious of a problem this is.

You stated you were planning trips and possibly spending time in hotels in both New York and DC.

By far two of the worst places in the country to encounter these pesky critters.
    Do some research on the subject and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The elimination of bedbugs if brought back to your home is an extensive and extremely costly endeavor that you do not want to have to endure.

There is alot of info. on the web regarding what to look for and inspect for prior to pitching your tent in a room.

I can add more insight to this if you would like as I'm fairly well versed in this subject, but just thought I'd at least put the thought in your head to hopefully help make your trip and experience here a little better and safer.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!