Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Who said Torrey Smith is too passive and soft?

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    It wasn't that bad to be freaking out about. It just sounded like rumbling thunder and the ground shook a little. You would have thought the earth split in two with the way people were freaking out.
    Eh, it was a significant earthquake. Even transplant Californians acknowledged it was significant and worry worthy. There was significant damage to some buildings in Southeast Baltimore, with the wall of one newer building toppling over, as evidenced by these pictures: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...8.photogallery Those are not representative of damage caused by insignificant tremors. No, it wasn't like in Haiti, and thank heavens for that, but I'm glad it wasn't any worse. Maybe you were outside or something when it hit. I was pretty high up in the air, my building swayed pretty drastically and the room I was in was visibly warping from the rolling shocks.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Blog Entries

They don't make buildings as strong as they used to.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

3. Re: Who said Torrey Smith is too passive and soft?

It wasn't that bad to be freaking out about. It just sounded like rumbling thunder and the ground shook a little. You would have thought the earth split in two with the way people were freaking out.
    It was nothing. Before I knew what it was it was over. We kind of all looked at each other at work like that was weird, and went back to work. That hurricane possibly this weekend is something to be way more worried about.

Blog Entries

They don't make buildings as strong as they used to.
    You're right. Buildings today are much stronger and stand up to earthquake damage much better. Building codes and whatnot.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

I knew exactly what it was when it started happening because I was awake for the earthquake at like 5 AM sometime last year. Not a big deal if you ask me. Almost like you're on top of a huge running washing machine.
    90% of the game is half mental

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    Eh, it was a significant earthquake. Even transplant Californians acknowledged it was significant and worry worthy. There was significant damage to some buildings in Southeast Baltimore, with the wall of one newer building toppling over, as evidenced by these pictures: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...8.photogallery Those are not representative of damage caused by insignificant tremors. No, it wasn't like in Haiti, and thank heavens for that, but I'm glad it wasn't any worse. Maybe you were outside or something when it hit. I was pretty high up in the air, my building swayed pretty drastically and the room I was in was visibly warping from the rolling shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    You're right. Buildings today are much stronger and stand up to earthquake damage much better. Building codes and whatnot.
    This was definitely a significant earthquake. I watched a briefing by USGS/Caltech around 3 where they were saying the largest recorded earthquakes were less than 5 or so before this one. That made me take pause. I wonder how much they knew about the size of potential quakes along this fault. It's not one that's created significant quakes in recent memory, so I understand if it wasn't studied as much.

If you think this is something, if the New Madrid seismic zone goes the way it's expected to and you're around to see it, when you feel that, you probably will know for sure. This was a 5.8 but that one will probably be around 8. Further away, yes, but this quake was felt all the way to New Hampshire and reportedly, into Canada.

Plus, they're talking about a newly discovered fault in Arkansas that could bring a 7 to that area. Then there's the Ramapo fault up in NY and NJ that could bring a 7 there. Either way, we'll probably have another day like this in our lives again. The question is how strong will the shaking be.

Building codes have been strengthened, but there are alot of older buildings around, especially this area. Baltimore's an old city. This isn't CA or NV and seismic retrofitting isn't something on everybody's mind. But going forward, as more about the fault down there is learned, that may have to be something discussed more.

I'd hate to be at Harborplace during a stronger event. I was in an elevator when today's quake hit. I may take the steps for a while.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

Blog Entries

I think the expressively nonplussed commenters are showing their earthquake amateurness even more than the ones freaking out about it, as though they thought earthquakes were supposed to open huge cracks in the ground and swallow cars, buildings and children, like in the movies.
    Last edited by Flipping Birdie; 08-24-2011 at 04:50 AM.

According to Mike Preston Smith needs to toughen up LINK

I can see Preston's point to a certain extent in his comparison to LaQuan Williams, but he overlooks the fact that Smith is usually going up against the 1's during practice and not UDFA's like Josh Victorian.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I can see Preston's point to a certain extent in his comparison to LaQuan Williams, but he overlooks the fact that Smith is usually going up against the 1's during practice and not UDFA's like Josh Victorian.
    true, true, true

Torrey Smith is so passive and soft that he couldn't even stop that earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    According to Mike Preston Smith needs to toughen up LINK

I think it's a lousy article.

My biggest complaint is that now b/c some football player wannabe writer says smith is "soft" it will become gospel to all the periphery fans (read: national outlets). Terrible. This is the same type of b.s. commentary that has lead to the general misconception by the national media that everyone in Baltimore wants another QB.

I understand pointing out flaws, what pewople are weak at or need work in. THat's their job. But labeling someone this early (and incorrectly) just ticks me off. It's more "getting the clicks" writing: saying something extreme to get people to look.

As you pointed out TL, look at the difference in competition these WRs are facing.

The writer may not be entirely off the mark on the technique critique...but his presentation most certainly is. As usual.