Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: McNair: "I was trying to act responsibly."

Hard to believe some of the above comments exhonorating McNair's "actions" or idiotic comment. And if the Ravens front office blows it off as a mere incident, as Charlie Eckman used to say, "you can call me a cab!"

Tony's column mentioned stupidity but I say it goes way beyond that. These guys have been schooled from Day One as to right and wrong. Add McNair's status as a team leader and you gotta wonder if the guy is playing with a full deck. Can't wait for such a fine example to start teaching Mr. Heisman the ropes. Hey Kyle, get ready. They sell alcohol in Baltimore too.

Finally, the Ravens will write this off in the usual fashion. But the public deserves a better comment about right and wrong from both McNair and Dick Cass. If nothing else the kids deserve it. Actions and decisions have consequences. Evidently McNair's attempt to act responsibly was eerily similar to his attempt to beat the Colts.

Ravcol, I'm sure most posters here would agree McNair showed some bad (terrible) judgement and shouldn't have put himself in a position where he was vulnerable to this.

But speaking for myself, I am relieved to see him saying and doing the right things afterward, and as disappointed as I might be in his mistake, I am not going to get nearly as excited over this as I might have if, say, he'd been driving 90 mph in a 45, couldn't stand on two feet and blew a .19. Or he'd arranged a drug sale over the phone, or he'd beaten his wife.

As disappointed as I am, this I can live with.

:2c:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ravcol View Post
    Hard to believe some of the above comments exhonorating McNair's "actions" or idiotic comment. And if the Ravens front office blows it off as a mere incident, as Charlie Eckman used to say, "you can call me a cab!"

Tony's column mentioned stupidity but I say it goes way beyond that. These guys have been schooled from Day One as to right and wrong. Add McNair's status as a team leader and you gotta wonder if the guy is playing with a full deck. Can't wait for such a fine example to start teaching Mr. Heisman the ropes. Hey Kyle, get ready. They sell alcohol in Baltimore too.

Finally, the Ravens will write this off in the usual fashion. But the public deserves a better comment about right and wrong from both McNair and Dick Cass. If nothing else the kids deserve it. Actions and decisions have consequences. Evidently McNair's attempt to act responsibly was eerily similar to his attempt to beat the Colts.

O for god sakes.

The guy was in a car when his brother in law got pulled for a DUI. In most states, that's not a crime. And it stands to reason that McNair certainly didn't think it was a crime in Tenn. Sadly it is and now we get the the stuff like....

"McNair isn't playing with a full deck"

Gimme a break.

Look at the circumstances and stop with this ridiculous overreaction. Save it for something that's worth it.

PP

Look at the circumstances and stop with this ridiculous overreaction. Save it for something that's worth it.
    Don't you know that these boards are full of some of the most self righteous perfect people in the world ?

he'd been driving 90 mph in a 45, couldn't stand on two feet and blew a .19.
    He didn't blow anything because he wouldn't take it. I wonder why?

This isn't about some fans being hollier than thou, its about being annoyed 1) about the double standards applied for people with money and power and those who don't, and 2) the lack of effort it takes for a millionaire to not call a cab or limo in that type of situation

The Raven's statement doesn't matter to me, as it was totally written in Billick/Newsome/Cass/Raven speak, about "process" and blah blah blah. Nothing I haven't heard.

Whether or not I agree with the Tennessee law (although it makes sense to me) it is a law.

I would say it comes down to this: who would you rather have driving, the guy who had 10 drinks or the guy who had 4, and the answer is NEITHER, take a f'ing cab or limo if you're rich

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    This isn't about some fans being hollier than thou, its about being annoyed 1) about the double standards applied for people with money and power and those who don't, and 2) the lack of effort it takes for a millionaire to not call a cab or limo in that type of situation
    For the 1000th time, it is not about a double standard for McNair because of who he is. This is a stupid law, and I would say it was a stupid law and stupid arrest if it happened to Steve McNair, Boller, my cousin, next door neighbor, or any member of the Steelers.

Why do you keep harping on the cab? Maybe the brother in law was perfectly capable of driving and did not need a cab. There are people out there who can have 4 drinks and not even be close to being impaired. As someone else said, all of us are held to the standards of the lightweights.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    For the 1000th time, it is not about a double standard for McNair because of who he is. This is a stupid law, and I would say it was a stupid law and stupid arrest if it happened to Steve McNair, Boller, my cousin, next door neighbor, or any member of the Steelers.
    Losac, I was right with you until you said the S word. ;)

You guys who are making this a moral issue, beyond a matter of frustratingly bad judgment, are assuming some *significant* facts not in evidence, as they say in the courtroom.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I guess I disagree that it is a stupid law.

What is the point of turning over the keys if you turn it over to someone who is also f*cked up

I think there are some of you who think, no harm, no foul, because no-one died and no-one got hurt this time. But half the point of these laws is preventing an incident, not punishing it.

I also think that some of you wouldn't be saying what you're saying if he wasn't Steve McNair and the QB of the Baltimore Ravens.

And I'll also be more than willing to admit that being that I'm not a big McNair fan, that perhaps I'm willing to blast him on his personal decision making more than your McNair lovers.

In any case, drunk driving is a serious problem, and giving your keys over when drunk to someone else who is also intoxicated is a problem, hence I dont think the law is "stupid"

I also think there is segment of people posting here who probably drive intoxicated and are willing to validate their own unsafe driving under the influence by giving McNair a mulligan just like they'd give themselves. Thats sad. But none of this talking matters when someone actually get injured in a DUI/DWI incident.

I guess I disagree that it is a stupid law.

What is the point of turning over the keys if you turn it over to someone who is also f*cked up

I think there are some of you who think, no harm, no foul, because no-one died and no-one got hurt this time. But half the point of these laws is preventing an incident, not punishing it.

I also think that some of you wouldn't be saying what you're saying if he wasn't Steve McNair and the QB of the Baltimore Ravens.

And I'll also be more than willing to admit that being that I'm not a big McNair fan, that perhaps I'm willing to blast him on his personal decision making more than your McNair lovers.

In any case, drunk driving is a serious problem, and giving your keys over when drunk to someone else who is also intoxicated is a problem, hence I dont think the law is "stupid"

I also think there is segment of people posting here who probably drive intoxicated and are willing to validate their own unsafe driving under the influence by giving McNair a mulligan just like they'd give themselves. Thats sad. But none of this talking matters when someone actually get injured in a DUI/DWI incident.
    Nobody was intoxicated! Nobody was F*cked up! Someone had a beer and drove. Not a big deal
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    Nobody was intoxicated! Nobody was F*cked up! Someone had a beer and drove. Not a big deal
    In the off season, Raven Nurse, apparently everything is a big deal. ;)
    Festivus

According to the bar owner, they had more than a couple of drinks, and thats enough.

And if I got pulled over after 3 drinks, and the same shit happen, I wouldn't have celebrity status to bail me out of the situation. Thats where the double standard lies.

According to the bar owner, they had more than a couple of drinks, and thats enough.

And if I got pulled over after 3 drinks, and the same shit happen, I wouldn't have celebrity status to bail me out of the situation. Thats where the double standard lies.
    WTF are you talking about?

Who's getting "bailed" out Dave?

He was charged. What exactly else do you want. You want a trial and conviction within a week?

PP