Fantasysharks Hammerhead 4 draft

All,

I'm in the Fantasy Sharks Hammerhead4 league, the draft is currently in progress (12 hrs between picks maximum so progress is slow on these drafts).
    If you would like to follow along and comment on my picks please do.
    PPR scoring, notable differences 1pt/5carries, 3/pass TD

My team is Mad Puppy and I had the #1 pick view the report here:

Hammerhead4 draft

I'll try to add my comments of my picks here also.
    Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Mad Puppy; 08-17-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Re: Fantasysharks Hammerhead 4 draft

picks so far:

Arian Foster RB Hou pick 1.01
    Positives
    Hard worker capable of playing through injuries. Offense is capable of a lot of scoring. PPR monster who will continue to get a lot of receptions. With the zone blocking scheme he fits perfectly and will be the main focus as RB again with Tate as a breather back only. Definitely a 3 down RB!
    Negatives
    Starting the season with a Hamstring pull. Houston is being very conservative with the recovery. Last year was his breakout year and some consider him a one hit wonder (I disagree). His total touches was approaching the magic 400 number that usually leads to a breakdown the following year.
    Draft Strategy
    Hammerhead shark 4 league PPR. I also considered Ray Rice & Chris Johnson. I am very concerned about the Ravens offensive line (center especially) and the hold out might get nasty with Johnson. So in my opinion Foster is the most likely to succeed.

Vincent Jackson WR SDC pick 2.12
    Positives
    Healthy, suspension free season. The SDC offense will be running on all cylinders this year. Jackson is the best and #1 option for the passing game. I expect a career year for Jackson who is in a contract year and Is playing with a chip on his shoulders. One of the best deep ball QB's in the league throwing to him.
    Negatives
    His off the field issue might crop up during the season.
    Draft Strategy
    I was targeting Jackson and Reggie Wayne here at the turn (2.12, 3.01). I am expecting a career year for Jackson on one of the most potent offenses in the league.

Dwayne Bowe WR KCC pick 3.01
    Positives
    Target, Targets, Targets, Bow is among the top when I comes to targets (133 last year). Consistently over a 1000yds and on average will get 7-8 TD's. So a 80+ catch 1200yd 10TD year very possible. New Rookie J. Baldwin should enable Bowe to run with less double teams. I expect receptions to increase
    Negatives
    Cannot duplicate the # of TD's(15) from last year but how many will get 15 TD’s??
    Draft Strategy
    I went WR-WR at the turn rounds 2.12-3.01. I was Zeroed in on this strategy considering I think I can get value at RB later and expect a mini run on receivers after me.
    I wanted someone with a lot of targets (check), elite talent(check), and a good offense(check). I passed on Miles Austin who I also heavily considered, and Mike Williams (TBB). Mike Williams just doesn't get the targets and Austin appears to be target #2 in Dallas (behind Witten), plus I think I can get Felix Jones later as a receiving RB should be good value. So I went with #1 receiver Bowe.
    Last edited by Mad Puppy; 08-20-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Marshawn Lynch RB SEA pick 4.12
    Positives
    Sturdy back capable of 1300 total yards (rushing + receiving). After five games last year the Hawks traded for Lynch. He is firmly entrenched as the starter with a revamped offensive line. Full offseason with the Hawks will make him better prepared for the season.
    Negatives
    Had a lower per carry average than Forsett last year. Forsett is a good receiver and will take potential receptions from him as the 3rd down back. Six TD’s last year half of which came in one game.
    Draft Strategy
    I’m liking what the Hawks have done to the offensive line. Lynch is a workhorse back who is a capable receiver out of the backfield. The RB whores are out in full force in this league. Starting to get thin at RB. Welker was available and in the PPR format will be great, however I needed a #2 running back.

Tony Romo QB DAL pick 5.01
    Positives
    Top tier QB, last year before his injury(5 games) was on a tear with 10TD’s and average of 313.2 yards . a full season of that and we are cooking with gas! We are talking potential 30TD’s 4000+yards!
    Austin witten and F. Jones have all been drafted before him, everyone thinking the cowboys offense will score a lot? Who is running that offense? Romo is ;o)
    Negatives
    Collar bone injury last year, might show some rust early, especially with shortened offseason.
    Draft Strategy
    I am expecting a Run on QB’s as the Mock's I participated in they flew off the board after this pick and Romo is in my 1st tier. I can wait on a backup now and fill up needs at #2b & backup RB’s & backup receiver’s.
    Last edited by Mad Puppy; 08-20-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Been moving along in the draft we are in round 12 and I'm only 1 pick away from two more.
    Here are the last few picks:

Chris “Beanie” Wells RB ARI Pick 6.12
    Positives
    With the Departure of Tim Hightower he is looking to get more carries. Has improved his pass blocking which will translate to even more game time opportunities. Should be the Full time starter for Arizona this year with main competition coming from a Rookie (Ryan Williams).
    Negatives
    Not overly fast, and has a “injury prone” moniker as he was playing from the start on a sore knee last year. After a good rookie campaign in 2009 he was disappointing last year failing to even top 75yards in any game last year.
    Draft Strategy
    As a 3rd RB I feel there is good value here. With some upside as a possible regular #2 RB.
    **UPDATE** Ryan Williams injured his knee in the 2nd preseason game. Likely out for the season, Chris Wells is looking up.

Santana Moss WR WAS Pick 7.01
    Positives
    Last year Moss was a PPR king hauling in 93 catches. As the unquestioned #1 receiver in Washington I see a lot of Receptions again (though 93 is hard to duplicate). I’m expecting 80 catches 1000+ yards and 6 TD’s solid numbers for a #3 Receiver. Has pretty consistent the past 3 years.
    Negatives
    Now has lesser QB throwing the ball, Grossman or John Beck (not exactly household names).
    Draft Strategy
    Looking for a #3 receiver. This guy has been consistent and had his best year with new head coach Shanahan. I’m expecting more of the same this year.

Pierre Garcon WR IND Pick 8.12
    Positives
    Big and fast deep threat for the Colts. Manning being one of the most accurate passers in the league can hit him in stride.
    Garcon caught 5 or more passes in 7 of his last 8 games last year. He will likely improve on last years stats due to the constant concussions of Austin Collie.
    Negatives
    As long as Collie is in the lineup the catches will be less. Was inconsistent last year with the occasional laps in route running.
    Draft Strategy
    Since both of my stud receivers are on the same bye week(6) I jumped at the potential of Garcon in a good passing team. As a #2b on my team I feel pretty good with his matchup against Cincinnati in week 6. Still young but should be the #2 next to Wayne this year.

Pittsburgh Defense DEF Pick 9.01
    Positives
    Consistent top 5 Defense every year. I see no reason not to expect it again. Sacks and turnovers aplenty
    Negatives
    Well it is the steelers...
    Draft Strategy
    There will be a run on Defenses come the 10th round. I prefer to start a run than to end one.

Brandon Pettigrew TE DET Pick 10.12
    Positives
    A complete TE, Size, Hands, and can block. Is a matchup problem for most LB’s, and was great with Stafford at the helm. Posted double digit points last year in 9 of 17 games ending the year with 71 catches.
    Negatives
    Stafford’s penchant for injuries could hurt is overall value. Not enough TD’s
    Draft Strategy
    A 70 catch guy in the bottom of the 10th round is pretty good. I expect Pettigrew to improve on his numbers form last year. Hopefully with 6-8 TD’s. I was thinking this is the right time to grab a TE as there are plenty of young up and comers available. Hoping (fingers crossed) Stafford stays healthy.

Jay Cutler QB CHI Pick 11.01
    Positives
    Looked good later in the year last season, showing a comfort level with Mike Martz’s system. Poised to be a fantasy relevant QB this year potential as a #1 at a #2 price.
    Negatives
    Throughout his career he has been known as a poor decision maker and throws too many interceptions.
    Draft Strategy
    AS my #2 I only expect a big game week 5 (against Detroit). The match-up is good where Cutler posted his best statistical game against the Lions last season.

Denarius Moore WR OAK Pick 12.12
    Positives
    All the reports from camp have been positive. From his QB pointing out how good he has looked, to the coaches and reporters saying he has looked like the best player on the team in practice. Moore has a very good chance to be a starter week 1.
    Negatives
    Rookie and rookie receivers are very hard to predict.
    Draft Strategy
    This will likely be my last receiver taken. I like to go for a sleeper this time in the draft. The camp reports are all extremely positive.

Roy Helu RB WAS Pick 13.01
    Positives
    Complete back who is decent as a receiver. Rookie who I am taking as a sleeper.
    Negatives
    Word out of camp is his pass blocking needs work. This might hurt him on playing time. Tim Hightower has been tearing up the preseason.
    Draft Strategy
    Picking a sleeper here. My other choices would have been Delone Carter (RB IND) who I think has a better chance of playing time. But Carter was taken just two picks before. However Tim Hightower will likely be the starter in Washington I think Helu could surprise given the opportunity.

I also missed out on Lee Evans by a few picks. He would have been a pick before Denarius Moore. I also considered Ricky Williams who looks ok as a receiving RB in the preseason.

Benjamin Watson TE CLE Pick 14.12
    Positives
    Has a good rapport with QB Colt McCoy. The West coast offense should benefit the TE position also. Had a career year last year with 68 catches and 763 yards.
    Was the #1 target (102 to be exact) last year.
    Negatives
    Not enough TD’s. Is that a product of the poor team? I expect more TD opportunities this year. He is now 30 years old. Schedule in the last 5 weeks includes Baltimore (2x) & Pittsburgh (2x), so he isn’t likely to do much at playoff time.
    Draft Strategy
    Not overly excited about the remaining RB’s and WR’s. I was going to take Ben Tate here as insurance for A. Foster. However he was drafted immediately before this pick.

Matt Bryant K ATL Pick 15.01
    Positives
    Consistent, accurate kicker on a team that provides plenty of scoring opportunities.
    Negatives
    Not the strongest leg, with bonuses for long kicks won’t be getting a lot of 50yard 5pt FG’s.
    Draft Strategy
    Time to take a kicker as my next pick is my last pick as well as the last of the draft. Don’t want to miss out on the elite kickers.

Nate Washington WR TEN Pick 16.12
    Positives
    Consistent production in the 45 catches 600yard 6 TD range. He could be a bye week fill in and better production if/when Kenny Britt is suspended. He had two 100 yard games and a few 80 yard games. Addition of Hasselbeck and loss of R. Moss boost his possible production this year.
    Negatives
    Averaged only 3 catches and 45 yards in last five games not exactly double digit points.
    Draft Strategy
    I’m kind of regretting this pick already. His bye week is 6, the same as my Stud receivers. I’ll probably drop him after the first few weeks for a Waiver RB. I expect his best production in the first 3-4 weeks.

There you have it. Footballguys "rate my Team" application gave me a 85-90% chance of making the playoffs. While the "myfantasysharks draft analysis" application rated my team low (this one is solely based on average draft position) mainly due to me drafting guys ahead of their average draft position. I say Average draft position is for the herd. Get a guy if you think he is better than what the herd thinks. I also purposely grabbed guys earlier to beat the runs due to my long wait between picks.
    I think I did pretty well.
    I'm ready for your critiques now. How do you think I did? No ravens on the Team but overall not to bad.
    Last edited by Mad Puppy; 08-23-2011 at 08:45 AM.