Arrow Retiring Numbers

I think it's stupid.

It is a fact that there are only a finite amount of numbers. If you keep retiring a number after a great player leaves the game, after a while you'll start to run out of numbers or have to unretire players' numbers, which then creates a controversy that isn't necessary.

Instead I propose the NFL should simply put a hiatus on numbers. For example, after Ray Lewis retires, we must wait 15 years before another player can don the #52. And then Ray's name and number can also be posted in the rafters forever, and that will never be taken away.

Thoughts?

Re: Retiring Numbers

As far as I know, there isn't one team that's run out of numbers due to retiring them.

Once Ray and JO leave, I never want there to be a #52 or #75 on the field for the Ravens. These guys are icons and future HOFers. It's the right honor, especially since the "Ring of Honor" has Earnest Byner on it. Yeeech.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

What's wrong with using 3-digit numbers?

DirecTV is up to 4 digit numbers now.

Retired numbers should be for obvious Hall of Famers. Right now that is Ray Lewis (1st ballot) and Jon Ogden (it may take two or 3 tries with him). The Ring of Honor should be for people who played here and went to multiple pro-bowls; my best example for that would be Peter Boulware.

With all due respect, JO will be a first-ballot HOF, no questions asked, along with Ray! As soon as they retire, the opening game of the following season, they should hang their numbers alongside of McRary, Art, and the ol' Baltimore Colts!

I think he will be 1st ballot too, but because of the position JO plays I wouldn't be totally shocked if it takes him a couple of tries.

That brings up an interesting point. How do you measure a "great" offensive lineman worthy of the HOF? What stats do you have on them to quantify their performance?

Thats a good question losac.

But remember, Ogden we were pioneers in the highpaid LT game. Before 2000 Ogden got a 44 million dollar extension, more than any QB at the time.

There arent any stats but Ogden brought in a new era for LTs and in fact OL all together. Look how much Hutchinson got paid, Ogden was one of the first, big money OL.

Theres a great article about the LT in this week's issue of SI. I reccomend it.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton