Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: If Gaither showed up to practice...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    But the entire board and Ravens fandom to a much lesser extent, is so hell bent on being pro-Oher and anti-Gaither that it has become silly. It's a mad rush toi judge against Gaither, and make excuses for Quentin Aaron's shortcomings.
    Hmm, with this mocking reference, now who is doing the "hating"?

I don't disagree at all, I just don't care since he' was the best LT on the team by a fair margin, and not treated as such.
    That often happens when people are disappointed by someone's lack of dedication and when they see someone pissing away their talent!
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I finally washed my hands of the idea that the Ravens would or should try to keep Gaither. But that realization didn't come easily and still doesn't sit entirelly well with me.

To those who can easily write him off as a bum, I have no problem with that. Good for you.

But I can't quite dismiss him so glibly.

While there was a lot of crazy shit that has circled the guy, the truth is that when he played, he played well. Very well. He was like the crazy girlfriend who was good in the sack. You know it was time to move on, but it's hard to let go.

Part of me is afraid he'll get his act together and be a real steal for the Chiefs. And part of me hopes he flames out spectacularly and all the haters are right about him.

It's hard to know what to think. Did the team blow it by not taking a second round pick for him when they could? Was that ever a viable option? Will he ever be a healthy player? How big a hinderance was his attitude and brains? Is he in line for a suspension?

The guy is an enigma, not easily loved, not easily dismissed.

Jared Gaither is in Kansas City and hasn't even suited up for the Ravens since 2009.

He's moved on. Some fans need to as well.

Personally, I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    That often happens when people are disappointed by someone's lack of dedication and when they see someone pissing away their talent!
    I don't know how a Ravens can be disappointed by what this guy did on sundays. It's very easy to be disappointed by the noticeably worse production we have gotten at the tackle positions since his departure

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    :word

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BLSmokey View Post
    Jared Gaither is in Kansas City and hasn't even suited up for the Ravens since 2009.

this x1000

Quote Originally Posted by BLSmokey View Post

It would be easier to be magnanomous if the Ravens had a more secure solution worked out at tackle, and it was simply a matter of letting a guy go for money, or for inability to get the job done any more. But that's not why they let him walk. He is more talented than the options they have on the roster now, but far less reliable, through his own fault, or perhaps not. It is hard not to be bothered by the whole affair. But you're right, it's time to move on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    It would be easier to be magnanomous if the Ravens had a more secure solution worked out at tackle, and it was simply a matter of letting a guy go for money, or for inability to get the job done any more. But that's not why they let him walk. He is more talented than the options they have on the roster now, but far less reliable, through his own fault, or perhaps not. It is hard not to be bothered by the whole affair. But you're right, it's time to move on.
    The bottom line is the Ravens FO couldn't rely on Gaither to play.The Chiefs only gave him a 1 year deal, and he's backing up their starting LT.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    The bottom line is the Ravens FO couldn't rely on Gaither to play.The Chiefs only gave him a 1 year deal, and he's backing up their starting LT.
    I guess that's true if all you focus on is the bottom line

If you scan above the bottom line, you see a lot of other lines describing a slew of pros and a lot of cons when it comes to Gaither. And a lot of in-between-the-lines inuendo that describe a whole other drama. I can't think of another player in the history of the team that disappointed me more. Bam Morris? Elvis Grbac is probably the closest I can think of.

So maybe what I'm saying is that the bottom line isn't really simply that he is a back-up tackle on a one year deal.

The bottom line, for me, is that he's a first-round talent who has not been able to elevate beyond what you'd expect from the fifth-round supplemental draft pick he began his career as.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Ok, so he's inrelaible. So you are so scared that you might have to play his backup that you simply make his lesser talented backup the starter? That didn't make you better, it made you worse.

Yes, 4-5 practices in, Jared Gaither is backing up someone who should be playing LG at an extremely high level, but instead is not very good at all at LT.

The regular season hasn't started yet.

I'm still not convinced he'll step on the field during the regular season. He sure doesn't look ready for the preseason.

@ Jonboy: This isn't about Oher vs. Gaither. They are two different players, with different strengths and weaknesses. On display for the world to see is one of Gaither's weaknesses: he can't his his s**t together.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

jon--
    "Put simply, wasn't EVERYONE complaining about Gaither weighing 20 pounds under known ideal playing weight?"

With clear conscience, I can say I was not.

As far as Gaither's "fatness", my comment still stands regarding ANY O-lineman --
    didja EVER see a thin-waisted, six-pack abs guy playing center, tackle or guard? Even the guys who look to be in shape have a gut to some extent. And I suspect if you were at the Chefs practice where Tony's posted pic was taken, Gaither probably is a victim of the angle from which he was shot.