Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Was McGahee Worth it?

McGahee cost the Ravens a 2007 third round & 7th round pick and a third round pick in 2008. He also cost them an initial signing bonus of $7.5 million and subsequent option bonuses of $6 million after the 2007 season and $1.5 million following the 2008 season, for a total of $15 million. The base salaries paid were: $595,000 (2007), $605,000 ('08), $620,000 ('09), $3.6 million ('10). He'll also cost them dead cap money of $2.5 million ('11) and $3.5 million ('12).

Here are Willis' stats.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest, how would YOU rate this deal?
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Was McGahee Worth it?

Negative fifty.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

3. Re: Was McGahee Worth it?

Money paid + production= 5 or 6

Had a very nice first year despite how poorly the team played, was an out of shape Harbaugh doghouse guy in 2008, then became a well paid backup.

Blog Entries

Bout a 5 willis was billicks doin harbs had to ride it out we know when rice hit the scene willis days was numbered its not like he wasn't capable of playing big its just that harbs wanted to put his own stamp on this team. It wasn't bad and it wasn't good therefore it is what it is.

5. Re: Was McGahee Worth it?

If McGahee played more games like the game he played against the Patriots in 2007 he would have been worth every penny and pick.

Blog Entries

I agree willis is damn good then again he only had 2 decent years ofconsistent Oline play last season neither him or rice could do squat

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Nother Suggs View Post
    If McGahee played more games like the game he played against the Patriots in 2007 he would have been worth every penny and pick.

Punched them in. the. mouth.

I'd rank that as my favorite game we didn't win. One hell of an effort. Balls out swagger and nothing to lose going up against an all-time offensive juggernaut.

That was one tough loss paired with the passing of Sean Taylor (RIP)...but I've never been more proud of my team...except for the emotional blowout at the very end.

In hindsight no, but it seemed like a pretty good deal at the time.

I rate it a 5 out of 10. Not quite a passing grade, but not any kind of disaster either.

The draft is where the Ravens should have gone for a RB in the first place. RBs are a risky place to put 2nd contract cash, even when they look great during that 1st contract.

:T2:

I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and guess that the Ravens don't pay top dollar for a RB for a long time. And yes, I think this means Rice will be gone after his deal is played through. The replace-ability of pretty much anyone in the position is too high to be worth spending significant resources on.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

4... I know he was a Pro-Bowler, but that was similar to VY and Matt Cassell being Pro Bowlers b/c everyone ahead of them was injured or uninterested in going to Hawaii

Too bad we werent playing the AFC East all the time. Willis always had his good games against the Fins, Jets, Pats, and Bills (when he was a Raven).. Check his stats.

Blog Entries

Money wise? No.

But I am curious what those draft picks turned into. I am pretty sure the 2008 pick turned into Gooden. The 2007 pick turned into Trent Edwards. And that 7th round pick was C. J. Ah You.

From that perspective, I think McGahee was worth more than all those guys combined.

*FYI- That 2008 pick was traded to Jacksonville for Marcus Stroud. And back to us in the Derrick Harvey trade.

Blog Entries

Terrible deal for the ravens. Collateral damage from the change in the coaching regimes. The ravens gave up all those picks and $$$ for a workhorse rb. It just didn't turn out that way.