Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: WR's- Who makes the cut?

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Barring a health issue regarding one of the top 5, I really don't see them carry 6 WRs. In fact, historically, they've rarely carried 6 WRs and only did so last year because Stallworth was going to miss the first 6 or so weeks.

The only way Williams or Smith make the team is for ST, but they aren't going to be carry 6 active WRs on a weekly basis. So, that 6th guy isn't likely to be active ever anyway - and I doubt they deactivate any of the others.

As such, I have a feeling that they will need to use one of those last roster spots on a position that requires greater depth than WR (again, barring injury issues at WR).
    Do you think Doss is a lock to make the team? I see him as someone you will lose if you try and put him on the practice squad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CodyPKA View Post
    Safe- Boldin, Evans,T. Smith, Reed,
    Probably Safe- Doss
    Your first 4 are safe IMO, but Doss (?) No 'probably about it', he is the young WR who can be the "Mason" in our offense. I know it sounds over-the-top, but this guy will be very valuable in 2011 and down the line too... Bc

Blog Entries

There is no way Doss doesn't make the roster.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I totally agree. Heard nothing but good things about him, catches everything, gets open, etc. I don't know how much that will translate into regular season games this year, but he's definitely on the team. I think the one spot up in the air is Marcus Smith/LaQuan Williams. Williams is already doing all the special teams things he needs to do, and Smith has shown that he has nothing to offer in the passing game. So, to me, these next three preseason games are LaQuan's opportunity to take Smith's roster spot and if he is going to be successful in doing that, it will be as a result of his play on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedChaos View Post
    1- Boldin
    2. Evans
    3. Reed
    4. Smith
    5. Doss
    6. Williams

1.Boldin
    2.Evans
    3.Doss
    4.Reed*
    5.Smith*
    6.Williams

I like Doss as our 3rd WR, he's got great hands and will be a fantastic slot guy for us IMO.

Reed and Williams will battle it out through the preseason and I am not really sure were that one winds up yet. Logic tells me the edge goes to the vet, but realistically, Reed hasn't practiced or played yet because the injured wrist (which will be a factor) and just coming off of the P.U.P. list. Plus, even when he was healthy, he didn't see a lot of regular season field time due to roster constraints. So IMO, he is still kind of an unproven mystery player that could easily lose the spot through poor performance.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyPKA View Post
    i think if Williams can provide anything close to what Marcus does on special teams then he will get the nod cause its is abundantly clear he has more upside as a WR
    Exactly. Boldin, Evans, Doss, Reed, T. Smith, L. Williams are the WR core. If anything Williams succumbs to a mysterious injury and hits the IR for a year.

Blog Entries

I think Smith is out and I honestly think who will make the team at Wr is already set. Evans, Boldin, Doss, Smith and Reed are locks. If there is a 6th wr I think its Williams. If not I think Williams comes down with some mysterious injury and gets IR'd. Sticking him on the practice squad is risky.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Do you think Doss is a lock to make the team? I see him as someone you will lose if you try and put him on the practice squad.
    I don't know how he isn't. I think he may end up being our #3 starter if he keeps playing like he did against Philly. Torrey Smith shorting his routes didn't help his case any to start over him.

I almost expect Doss to start on Friday.

Boldin
    Evans
    Doss
    Reed
    Smith

Williams to practice squad

Blog Entries

If David Reed shows too much rust, Tandan Doss could actually start the season as the third receiver on the depth chart. You could tell that the team was trying to force Smith on the field more, because he fit the system better. However, now that Lee Evans is here, they can take their time with Smith. Doss seems to be more ready than Smith right now.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    If David Reed shows too much rust, Tandan Doss could actually start the season as the third receiver on the depth chart. You could tell that the team was trying to force Smith on the field more, because he fit the system better. However, now that Lee Evans is here, they can take their time with Smith. Doss seems to be more ready than Smith right now.
    I still don't understand how it would be an automatic that Reed would be the third receiver absent any "rust". He's a special teams guy until further notice IMO. And that's not a bad thing. We need a prolific kick returner, and he may fit that bill. Especially now with this new kickoff rule in place.

As for Smith and Doss, I wonder how much where they were drafted is behind some of that forcing. You tend to want your 2nd rounders to be on the field before your 3rd rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    +1