Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Newswire: McNair arrested in Tenn.

I think this about sums it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    :ihope:

But I do agree it is an odd law…
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

We don't even know if McNair knew his brother in law was intoxicated(IF he even was)

Unless they swapped spit before he gave him the keys, how would McNair know?

I don't think this thing will fly at all. McNair's DUI charges 5 years ago were dropped, and Mac has been sweeky clean since then.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

If McNair is drunk how the hell is he suppose to assess if someone he trusts is sober enough to drive or not? He is making a responsible decision already by not driving.
    Well, if his brother-in-law was drinking with him all night then one could easily assume he is just as intoxicated. Letting him drive is just as bad as driving yourself, that is the intent of this law and it is not odd, it makes sense.

I think the levels that are considered deblitiating are too low, but the idea behind this law is a good one.

Why in hell, with tens of millions of dollars to your name, do you not hire a limo for a night out. At minimum, in my best Charlie Eckman voice, "CALL A CAB."

Unless they swapped spit before he gave him the keys, how would McNair know?
    Again, if they were drinking together he should know how drunk his brother-in-law is.

IF IN DOUBT, SPEND A LITTLE OF THAT MONEY ON A DAMN CAB!

Two articles on this topic from 24x7:

McNair Arrested

Ravens Season at Risk?

I cant tell you how many times I was drunk and gave the keys of my car to one of my drunk friends who didn't mind driving. I wonder if he even knew he could be arrested for this.

Again, if they were drinking together he should know how drunk his brother-in-law is.

Yeah i mean come on, seriously. if you've been spending the night together at a bar or club downtown . . . you would know if your brother in law had drank or not. Not rocket science.

Get a cab, or if not, get ready to suffer the legal consequences if you get pulled over.

If McNair wasn't in the car at least he could claim someone was driving it w/o his permission. But instead he was passenger side, so its obvious that he knew he was wasted and instead of getting a cab, decided to let his brother in law drive less-wasted. The lesser of two evils I guess he thought . . .

Bad, bad decision making.
    Last edited by ClericBlackDave; 05-10-2007 at 12:14 PM.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

You have got to be kidding me.Steve should know what the law is in that state by now.If,and thats the big if,he let his drunk brother in-law get behind of a wheel,knowing he was drunk,and to cover his rear end.

Plus knowing Sir PG Comissoner coming down hard on all this.

Then my respect for Steve has sunk pretty low.Pretty low for his character,
    his decision making,and his intelligence.

You are a starting QB in the NFL. Lead by example man.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Well, if his brother-in-law was drinking with him all night then one could easily assume he is just as intoxicated. Letting him drive is just as bad as driving yourself, that is the intent of this law and it is not odd, it makes sense.
    Give me a break. Alcohol affects people in different ways. One person could have 2 drinks and be stumbling over themselves drunk, while another person could have the same 2 drinks and not even get a buzz.

His brother-in-law could have been in better shape to drive than Steve, in which case he would be doing the responsible thing by having him drive. Laws like this are the product of MADD and are meant to target casual drinkers and ruin their lives: instead of the habitual drunks who are really causing the accidents.

From the Sun's article, updated just a few minutes ago:

Cartwright, 31, told police that he drank at least two beers earlier in the evening. He then took a field sobriety test, which indicated impairment, police said. Cartwright, who refused to take a Breathalyzer test, was arrested on DUI charges along with McNair.

So there was a 'field sobriety test.' Just one, apparently. An 'odor of alcohol' and a confession of two beers wouldn't be enough in Maryland for a conviction, it would depend on the field sobriety test. Not an easy case to prove, based on what little we have, and setting aside Losac's & others' arguments about how one person can know someone else is drunk.

If it doesn't get worse from here, I suspect the optimists are right. No conviction, no suspension.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

The good thing is nobody was hurt. I doubt he will get a suspension, but if he does it could be a blessing for Boller to put together a hi-lite package for his impending departure.

FM

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    His brother-in-law could have been in better shape to drive than Steve, in which case he would be doing the responsible thing by having him drive.
    You've got to be kidding me. Having the least drunk guy drive is responsible? How about calling a cab? That is what would have been responsible.

I'm guessing he won't get a suspension for this, but you can bet that Goodell will take a close look at it.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Imagine in your work place 10 people have been sacked for drink driving.
    What sort of idiot who values his job,and the security that job brings.
    Would then pull a stunt like this.

I can understand these wild young bucks falling into these traps.
    But Steve at his age. It really is a sad example being set to younger players to.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.