Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Where did the Cap Space come from for Evans?

Last we heard the Ravens had almost nothing left. They brought Ricky in for about 2/3 of their available cap space. Now they add a guy in Lee Evans with a $3.5 million cap number and a $1.5 million bonus due soon. So how did they do it? Is Ngata extended? Have others restructured? Are the media and others just completely off in their cap projections? Some how after being told they can't make moves because of cap space they made then and it would be nice to know how.

I had them at about $3M under before this move. IIRC, they have 24 or 48 hours after a trade is completed - in this case, this afternoon when he passed his physical - to get Cap compliant.

I assume we'll hear something in the coming days as far as what they've done.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Re: Where did the Cap Space come from for Evans?

Don't forget they have the extra $3M they can 'borrow' against the future.

The numbers published by PFT already had that factored on, so I did as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    I had them at about $3M under before this move. IIRC, they have 24 or 48 hours after a trade is completed - in this case, this afternoon when he passed his physical - to get Cap compliant.

I assume we'll hear something in the coming days as far as what they've done.
    Could they have extended Ngata and kept it quiet or is that really impossible? It would probably be tough to convince an agent not to brag about a huge deal like that.

No, I don't think they could keep that quiet, and I don't really see any reason why they would want/need to.

OTOH, in the past, when they've restructured deals, they don't announce them. Those usually do take some time to come to light.

In fact, I've actually been the first to report a number of them by checking the public area of the NFLPA site (before it became password protected).

Blog Entries

when is the deadline to get ngata extended? maybe they have an agreement in principal and just haven't gotten around to making it official yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    when is the deadline to get ngata extended? maybe they have an agreement in principal and just haven't gotten around to making it official yet.
    I believe that would be next years free agency period. Unless Ngata and his agent have declared a date to cut off negotiations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edtude View Post
    I believe that would be next years free agency period. Unless Ngata and his agent have declared a date to cut off negotiations.
    i mean the deadline for the 2011 salary cap as it relates to ngata's salary.

Blog Entries

It would be really funny if all of a sudden on Monday we see that Ngata has agreed to terms on a new contract.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    i mean the deadline for the 2011 salary cap as it relates to ngata's salary.
    I do not believe there is any deadline for that if I follow your question. Ngatas salary number is whatever it is according to his salary.

Blog Entries

GOTA, in a way, you have already answered your own question. When the possibility of trading for Osi Umenyiora was being discussed, you were adamant that the Ravens could work Osi into the salary cap if they really wanted to.

We later read complaints from other posters about how the tight cap was restraining the Ravens, as it pertained to other potential FAs.

Eventually, we read that the 'interest' in certain players, from the Ravens, was overblown. In between all of this, they make Vontae Leach the highest paid FB in the league, bring in Bernard Pollard to compete for the starting SS spot and sign Ricky Williams to be the backup RB.

It has been clear for some time, that if the Ravens really wanted to make a move, the cap was not truly in their way of doing so, contrary to what many believed.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore