Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: Evans impresses at camp, takes Mason's number

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Era at The U View Post
    As to Williams, he's finished, done. At 34 he can start looking at retirement options.

Please tell me that his contract is not indicative that they tied themselves to him?
    Based on what?

Certainly not the last 2 seasons...

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    1220 yards at 4 yards a carry behind a patchwork line with no deep threat to keep the safety out of the box is "very bad?" Not to mention that when you add his receiving yards he managed to post nearly 1800 yards from scrimmage overall.

Just on the raw numbers I'd call that pretty darn good. When you consider the extenuating circumstances like the aforementioned complete lack of a reason for the safeties to be more than 10 yards from the LOS and abysmal blocking up the middle, his performance becomes fairly impressive.
    Whole-heartedly agree. Not to mention the predictable play calling and uninspired running routes...
    Founder of The J. Peterman Company - JPeterman.com - Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    1220 yards at 4 yards a carry behind a patchwork line with no deep threat to keep the safety out of the box is "very bad?" Not to mention that when you add his receiving yards he managed to post nearly 1800 yards from scrimmage overall.

Just on the raw numbers I'd call that pretty darn good. When you consider the extenuating circumstances like the aforementioned complete lack of a reason for the safeties to be more than 10 yards from the LOS and abysmal blocking up the middle, his performance becomes fairly impressive.
    Why is everyone so quick to give Rice a big pass with this?

The running game is the part of the offense that got worse last year, not the passing game. Everyone acts like our passing game was terrible. The overall numbers were about the same on fewer attempts with fewer INTs. The passing game last year looked better than it did in '09.

The running game, on the other hand, took a significant step backward. Yeah, you can of course blame some of this on the OL and how bad it was. But let's not pretend it was all the OL's fault. RBs don't typically wind up with a 25% decrease in YPA all because their OL got a bit worse. And 4.0 YPC is really borderline terrible. Of all players with at least 100 rushing att, Rice is t-32 in the NFL (out of 47) with 4.0 YPC.

I wrote a piece that is I think going to get posted at another site soon. The problem with this offense wasn't the passing game and it wasn't Cam Cameron's play calling. The problem with this offense was the offensive line was bad and the running game took a massive step backward.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Not sure I buy that, honestly. Rice had a very bad year rushing. Our second level and open field numbers were pretty bad, and most of that is on him.

- C -
    You know, now that you mention it, I do recall a lot of times watching him were I thought... "man if he would just cut that way, he would have gotten 10 more yards". I even noticed that on that long reception in the pre-season game. HE faked outside and cut inside back into like 3-4 guys.

I think he is still a play-maker, hopefully he'll return to his 2nd year form if Evans can make secondaries respect a deep threat.

Why is everyone so quick to give Rice a big pass with this?

The running game is the part of the offense that got worse last year, not the passing game. Everyone acts like our passing game was terrible. The overall numbers were about the same on fewer attempts with fewer INTs. The passing game last year looked better than it did in '09.

The running game, on the other hand, took a significant step backward. Yeah, you can of course blame some of this on the OL and how bad it was. But let's not pretend it was all the OL's fault. RBs don't typically wind up with a 25% decrease in YPA all because their OL got a bit worse. And 4.0 YPC is really borderline terrible. Of all players with at least 100 rushing att, Rice is t-32 in the NFL (out of 47) with 4.0 YPC.

I wrote a piece that is I think going to get posted at another site soon. The problem with this offense wasn't the passing game and it wasn't Cam Cameron's play calling. The problem with this offense was the offensive line was bad and the running game took a massive step backward.

- C -
    What about running on predictable running downs? What about running up the middle every single time? How many times did you see a pitch out to Rice? How many times did we see play action to throw the defense off and give them something else to think about?

If you are going to look at Rice's stats, how can you not take his receiving yards into consideration? How many of those dump offs were designed plays, designed to get the ball in the hands of the team's best offensive playmaker?
    Founder of The J. Peterman Company - JPeterman.com - Follow me on Twitter

Blog Entries

Sorry dude, Ray Rice wasn't dynamic nor a playmaker last year.

- C -
    1700 + yards, I beg to differ. IMO, where the running game fell off significantly was with McGahee. He just wasnt as effective as he was before.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Era at The U View Post
    I hear ya on the line, ... we'll see I suppose.

As to Williams, he's finished, done. At 34 he can start looking at retirement options.

Please tell me that his contract is not indicative that they tied themselves to him?

I hear ya on Parmele, and I hadn't really considered Allen. Not a bad 7th round prospect, although I don't trust RBs from GA Tech.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic. I just know that Berry wasn't properly utilized at Miami, ... as if anyone was under Shannon. LOL He's got bigger potential than his college stats dictate.
    I am not the biggest fan of the Williams signing. I would have preferred someone with long term potential. I am also weary of 30+ year old backs because they just dont work out often but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterman View Post
    What about running on predictable running downs? What about running up the middle every single time? How many times did you see a pitch out to Rice? How many times did we see play action to throw the defense off and give them something else to think about?
    Questioning play calling is always nice in a vacuum but rarely actually leads to anything meaningful or quantitative. Is running on first and ten predictable? You do understand that a lot of run first teams run on predictable downs, right? The difference is that a team such as Oakland, who averaged 4.9 YPC (vs. our 3.8 YPC), actually executed effectively.

We ran up the middle a good bit, but that's what the Coryell offense calls for. Running up the middle isn't a bad thing, and we were hardly the top team in terms of percentage of runs off guard or center, so you're using more hyperbole than fact there. Pitches I'd have to look at, but those may have been defended constantly, given we have a scat-back runner. Play action, if I recall correctly, we used a good bit. The problem with play action is that it only works if you have an actually threatening running game. We didn't, so play action shouldn't really be something anyone should be arguing that we should have been using more. If anything, the argument should be we should have used it less.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterman View Post
    If you are going to look at Rice's stats, how can you not take his receiving yards into consideration? How many of those dump offs were designed plays, designed to get the ball in the hands of the team's best offensive playmaker?
    Rice was a solid receiver, but that really doesn't factor into the running game much, does it? Rice had a terrible year rushing the ball, and his receiving simply doesn't make up for that.

You're barking up the wrong tree on Rice's receptions though. After charting about half the Ravens games, I can tell you for a fact that the vast majority of Rice's receptions were in fact check-down dumpoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    1700 + yards, I beg to differ. IMO, where the running game fell off significantly was with McGahee. He just wasnt as effective as he was before.
    McGahee touched the ball 30% of what Rice touched it, getting a third the carries that Rice got. Rice had 4.0 YPA vs. McGahee at 3.8 YPC. Sorry, there wasn't a "significant" fall off there.

Rice's numbers look gaudy cause he was decent catching the ball and had a lot of receptions. You can beg to differ all you want, nine backs had more yards than Rice despite only six having more carries. Thirty had a higher YPA, including such dynamic playmakers as Tim Hightower, Ryan Torain, Mike Goodson and Michael Bush.

Rice was one helluva fantasy player, but had a terrible year running the ball and the only reason he would be able to be considered a good RB was because he was a good receiver out of the backfield.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Andrew Brandt just tweeted this little nugget ....

Money for nothing: prior to trade Lee Evans earned - and was paid - a $1 million roster bonus and $100,000 workout bonus from the Bills.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Andrew Brandt just tweeted this little nugget ....

Money for nothing: prior to trade Lee Evans earned - and was paid - a $1 million roster bonus and $100,000 workout bonus from the Bills.
    And here's where we can LOL at the Bengals-esque franchise known as the Bills...

The reason they traded him was because they like their young guys more. There was no pressing salary cap reason, there was no disgruntled QB or WR, there was no upcoming FA which made it necessary. Really, this trade could've been made the day after they signed Brad Smith. I guess you could argue they needed to see him in action with Fitzpatrick, but did they really only just become comfortable in the 1 week between Smith practicing and Evans being traded? We didn't hear anything about them trying to trade him before and having no suitors. If they had been trying, our offer would've been there all along.

So basically, they took care of 1.1 mil off our salary cap and sent us Lee Evans for a 4th rounder next year. Buffalo fans have a right to smack their heads against a wall. This is like the Vikings trading for Randy Moss, only to cut him 3-4 weeks later.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Evans has obtained his #83.

1WinningDrive Baltimore Ravens
    Some number swapping going on. Ed Dickson taking No. 84, Lee Evans taking No. 83, Johdrick Morris with No. 85. All effective tomorrow
    9 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Johdrick Morris...enjoy 85 for the few days you will wear it.

I heard a rumour this switch was done free of charge by all parties. If so, some applause for Dickson. Normally, you charge some kind of fee (charitable donation, money for you, etc) to switch numbers. To do that for free shows the guy is not petty, just cares about making his teammates happy.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!