Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is Rick Dempsey a peabrain?

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Don Imus at least can say, people who listen to my show know how I talk, or they figure it out pretty quickly. That's me and my show, and people don't have to listen.

It's different when you're calling a baseball game.
    What Don Imus said, in the right setting, (a comedy club, by a black comedian) is FUNNY... think about it. Abuse is NEVER funny, Never, not one bit. Only someone who has not experienced it, or been around it, could EVER possibly make such statements as Rick Dempsey did! It proves that he has never had the occasion to experience it, or actually give it some serious thought, .... or he IS a peabrain!

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Poor choice of words and poor subject to joke about.

That said, Gibbons is horrible.

PP

Basically. Although Dempsey shouldn't have said it, Gibbons can't pay for a base hit.
    Waiting for the next one!!!

Maybe NST starts a new protest to get him fired.

Talk about not understanding things. Drew and Casey are just another example of the media blowing something out of proportion and wanting someone to pay even though it's not a big deal.

Im with RM on this.

He apologized for a stupid thing. That should be the end of it.

This is absolutely political correctness coming out and it's getting out of control.

It's pretty obvious that Rick wasn't condoning anything about domestic violence.

But the PC police come out in full force and make this shit into something it's not.

It's funny how some people can say whatever they want without any repercussions yet others get roasted for something that wasn't even close to being malicioius. Look at the context, analyze what the person said, then make your conclusion.

To even insinuate that Dempsey should be fined, let alone fired, is ridiculous.

THAT, would be the real joke.

PP

PP, I'm not sure if you're suggesting I said he should be fined. I'm not, that would be wrong, and misreading what I've written here. But I would like to see him do something - anything - to show some contrition. A contribution of money or time or a favorable public appearance, I don't care.

Like I said, I had the same thought about Jon Corzine, for setting a bad example not wearing a seatbelt. If you're a big shot, and you do something regrettable, show the world how you really feel (or pretend to really feel) with something more concrete than an obligatory "I'm sorry."

I'm not the "PC police," whoever they are.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Festivus

Im just talking in general about what I've read on this thread and on NST's site.

Look, he said something dumb. He apologized for it. It should end there.

If he CHOOSES to do something else, then fine. But why is that any time someone misspeaks nowadays, an apology isn't enough?

People want people fired. They want heads to roll. He should donate money to the House of Ruth etc......

Again, Dempsey said something stupid. I agree. It's a sensitive subject that shouldn't be joked about. But let's look at it for what it is, not what others want it to be. He didn't condone or even come close to condoning domestic violence.

People get offended ALL the time in this country. Im sure you've been offended and I have as well. It doesn't mean people should be fired as some have suggested. Get the over it.

What makes me crazy is the overreaction to stuff like this and the apathy about stuff said that is WAY worse than this.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Look, he said something dumb. He apologized for it. It should end there.PP
    I agree. I said in an earlier post that what he said was totally unfunny, and he should have shut up with it as soon as it became apparent that Gibbons' wife was uncomfortable with it. But I didn't say he should be fired for it. Scolded behind closed doors maybe, but not fired. This is the potential disaster that can happen when you exercise really poor judgement during a live interview on television. Most of the moronic comments that we might occasionally make aren't replayed on various radio stations all day long. He can't hide from it, which is probably why he was so quick to apologize.

So Dempsey has already caught up to Gary Thorne on the MASN employee list of announcers who have said something really stupid on the air this year (or has it been this month?).

[QUOTE=highwater;37255

So Dempsey has already caught up to Gary Thorne on the MASN employee list of announcers who have said something really stupid on the air this year (or has it been this month?).[/QUOTE]

So true.

The King can't even get his TV station to do things right.

It all starts at the top.

PP

Desperate for a topic unrelated to the half dozen quarterbacks currently associated with the Ravens, I stumbled across a second (!) major professional sports team in Baltimore.

Rough transcipt of a live interview of Jay Gibbons' wife during a ballgame & about her charity work, per Rick Maese's column:
    Dempsey: "Laura, will this kind of help Jay in the domestic violence area? If he doesn't start getting a few more hits, you might grab him around the neck and rough him up a little bit. [Is] this money going to go to help him a little bit with maybe some of the hospital bills or something like that?"

Giuliani: "I don't know, Rick. I don't think I'm encouraging that. I'm definitely not --"

Dempsey: "Not going there?"

Giuliani: "Nope, not going there."

Dempsey: "All right, I'll domestically violate him if he doesn't start getting some more hits."

I'm very disappointed to hear the Rick Dempsey would make such a comment like this.

Whining people suck! It was a joke. This is the problem with society, we take things meant to be funny to seriously. GET OVER IT YOU PRUDES. You want to bitch about something meaningful, since this has turned into a political forum....Bitch about this knuckle head president killing our troops by having them fight a war that is not ours...then maybe youll have the write to complain. Unless it is serious like that.....let it go, it was a JOKE!
    Last edited by Raven Nurse; 05-09-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

RN, just because it was a joke, doesn't mean it wasn't stupid, or offensive, or hurtful. Obviously if someone 'joked' about that adorable baby in your signature line, the fact that it was a joke would not necessarily mean it wasn't in terrible taste.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

RN, just because it was a joke, doesn't mean it wasn't stupid, or offensive, or hurtful. Obviously if someone 'joked' about that adorable baby in your signature line, the fact that it was a joke would not necessarily mean it wasn't in terrible taste.
    And No one is saying it wasn't in bad taste. He Freakin APOLOGIZED! This is the point. People are calling for his J-O-B. Its ridiculous.