Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is Rick Dempsey a peabrain?

Peabrains can apologize. In this case, one did.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

By the way, I just logged on to wnst.net and read Drew's latest blog where he said Dempsey should write a check to the House of Ruth and go give a speech where he talks about domestic violence. THIS is exactly what I was talking about.

I spoke to soon, I just read Casey Willet's blog and he thinks Dempsey should be fired for "joking about domestic violence". More overreaction by NST.

For Rick to say the things that he said, and for there to be no action taken for it is pathetic, in my opinion. Did we not just have a month of discussions about what Don Imus said on the radio, and how wrong it was?

I am by no means supporting what Don Imus said -- and agree that he should have lost his job over it -- but should the same not apply to Rick or any other member of the media that says something along those lines? Trust me, if I or anyone else associated with WNST went on the air and said something along the lines of what Dempsey said, we would be getting a nice vacation (or as the Aerosmith song said, a "permanent vacation").
    Last edited by ravenmaniac; 05-09-2007 at 02:37 PM.

I would hope he would write such a check for the same reason I hoped Jon Corzine, governor of New Jersey, would write a check to SADD or some other traffic-safety oriented organization, after getting badly hurt in an accident where he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. He set a terrible example and took blame for it, but words are much cheaper then a check sent to the appropriate charity, and everybody would benefit from seeing how a man can repent with dignity.

If you are a public figure, and you set a stupid moronic peabrained example by doing something like mocking the scourge of domestic violence, you have within your power to do the *right* thing, and not just say what's right, but show everyone what's right, so soon after you showed them what's wrong.

I have no problem with someone saying he should put his money where his mouth is in his apology. I think it would be the right thing to do, though I understand this is not something we're going to agree on.
    Last edited by festivus; 05-09-2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: fixed the spelling of Corzine's first name
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

He was joking around. People need to get over it. Bunch of whining ass nappy headed hoes around here
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Don Imus at least can say, people who listen to my show know how I talk, or they figure it out pretty quickly. That's me and my show, and people don't have to listen.

It's different when you're calling a baseball game.
    Festivus

So then what is a "suitable" punishment? Suspension? Fine? prison? first born? Multiple apologies? No doubt, he goes on tv with a BIGGER apology and then that will not be enough.

Either you didn't read my post or you deliberately misunderstood it. Ok.

I don't want anybody 'punished'. I want to see someone for once "man up" and show the world what's *right*, after he's showed it what's wrong. Writing a charitable donation, not as punishment but as a simple act of repentance, would be perfect.
    Last edited by festivus; 05-09-2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: restating my post, this time with fewer words
    Festivus

Why isn't this thread under "Them O's Hon" or another forum. I thought this is the Ravens 24x7 thread? What is it doing here?

It's the off season. Occasional off topic threads are allowed, as I understand it. And desperate for something unrelated to Kyle Boller, Troy Smith or Steve McNair, I started one. :)
    Festivus

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    He was joking around. People need to get over it. Bunch of whining ass nappy headed hoes around here

I'm sure people listening to the game who are or have been a victim of domestic abuse found it real funny. Please. You don't "joke around" about something like domestic violence.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac View Post
    "Personal experience"? "My friend's sister said", define "coming on to her". Was he there? Were you? Again, what does that have to do with him joking that she should rough Gibbons up to get him out of his slump?
    It was just another example of the guy acting like a bonehead. That's all. No need to throw a fit, RM.

It was just a bad attempt at a joke. Not even funny even if you take the taboo subject matter away. Luckily he didn't say anything about blacks or Al and Jesse would be on the first plane to Baltimore to call for his head on a platter. This will most likely blow over quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    This will most likely blow over quickly.
    Maybe, but I'm not so sure. After finally hearing it on the radio today, I was amazed at how Dempsey kept going on with this weird line of questionning, when it was obvious that Gibbons' wife wanted nothing to with it. The fact that he just wouldn't stop right away makes it look worse.

And yes, I realize he was trying to be funny, but he wasn't.