Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Pardon my premise

I will see you're one play, Galen, and raise you two quarterback careers that show Cam IS a hindrance more than an asset -- Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers.

Take a gander at both of their stats during his watch as their OC and then after. Marked improvements on both fronts.

Blog Entries

I think Harbs is the one who is dictating the conservative play (when they go conservative). And Joe has to get rid of the ball or tuck it and run. Can't keep blaming Cam for every play that doesn't work and not giving him any credit when they do.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

To be honest the way that the team is being shaped I feel like the Ravens are going back to their earlier roots from the Brian Billick years. Those teams were constructed on a heavy rush offense + great defense + solid special teams.

After the 2010 season was over and the FA acquisitions the Ravens have made I feel like they are shaping up the team to be just like that.

• Adding Vonta Leach and Ricky Williams to strengthen their backfield along with Ray Rice and improving the power running game. Improving the OL with resigning Marshall Yanda.
    • The drafting of Jimmy Smith in the 1st and resigning/adding Chris Carr/Benard Pollard to improve the defensive secondary and strengthen the defense overall.
    • The long term resigning of Billy Cundiff and Sam Koch who are two of the best at their positions to boost the special teams.

Isn't that what the Ravens were built like when Brian Billick was the HC? I just get the feeling this feels all too familiar.

I guess the difference would be developing that big play deep threat WR (Torrey Smith?) who can stretch the defense and take advantage of the Play Action for those quick scores.

Quote Originally Posted by zing! View Post
    To be honest the way that the team is being shaped I feel like the Ravens are going back to their earlier roots from the Brian Billick years. Those teams were constructed on a heavy rush offense + great defense + solid special teams.
    I pretty much agree, but I don't know how I feel about it. IMO, these days Superbowls are won by great QBs. The 2000 Ravens were the exception, not the rule. I don't think we win another one with that same formula. Now if you take that formula, and then add a great QB, you're really onto something special there. Can Joe be that guy though? That's really what it all boils down to for the 2011 Baltimore Ravens, IMO. It's ALL about Joe Flacco.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I will see you're one play, Galen, and raise you two quarterback careers that show Cam IS a hindrance more than an asset -- Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers.

Take a gander at both of their stats during his watch as their OC and then after. Marked improvements on both fronts.
    I am not giving Cam a pass here and while it is arguable that he is too conservative a play caller that doesn't translate directly into Flacco should therefore be "unchained".

It is possible that Cam was to conservative AND Flacco wasn't ready to be "unchained". I saw evidence of both. Flacco also made a horrible choice of throws in the playoff game against the Steelers when the Ravens were already reeling from Rice's fumble.

To argue that Flacco should have been "unchained" last year neglects to consider the poor pass coverage from our OL all season long as well as the inability for receivers to get open. There were also times (the Pitsburgh playoff game for one) where I saw receivers open (Bolden) and Flacco make the wrong choice (Heap) and subsequently chains are not moved when Flacco was given the ball.

As far as Brees and Rivers there is certainly concern raised over Cam's ability to develop QBS in his system or it could be that most QB's tend to take several years to develop? Outside of Manning, what current "elite" QB was putting up 4000+ yard seasons within their first three years in the league? Not Brady, not Roethlisberger, not Ryan, and so on. Brees had his 3500 yard season under Cam, 100+ QB rating.

I don't think our offensive problems last year were about Flacco being chained by Cam.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    I am not giving Cam a pass here and while it is arguable that he is too conservative a play caller that doesn't translate directly into Flacco should therefore be "unchained".

It is possible that Cam was to conservative AND Flacco wasn't ready to be "unchained". I saw evidence of both. Flacco also made a horrible choice of throws in the playoff game against the Steelers when the Ravens were already reeling from Rice's fumble.

To argue that Flacco should have been "unchained" last year neglects to consider the poor pass coverage from our OL all season long as well as the inability for receivers to get open. There were also times (the Pitsburgh playoff game for one) where I saw receivers open (Bolden) and Flacco make the wrong choice (Heap) and subsequently chains are not moved when Flacco was given the ball.

As far as Brees and Rivers there is certainly concern raised over Cam's ability to develop QBS in his system or it could be that most QB's tend to take several years to develop? Outside of Manning, what current "elite" QB was putting up 4000+ yard seasons within their first three years in the league? Not Brady, not Roethlisberger, not Ryan, and so on. Brees had his 3500 yard season under Cam, 100+ QB rating.

I don't think our offensive problems last year were about Flacco being chained by Cam.
    When my daughter wanted to ride a bike, first I put the training wheels on. Then she said, "Daddy, I can ride without them." Reluctantly, I took them off and she fell a few times. Ultimately, she rode like a champ. It is time to take the training wheels off Joe Flacco... Bc