Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Lee Evans Available?

Quote Originally Posted by kris21054 View Post
    Its amazing how many people have no faith... a lot of ppl were clamouring about Smith being so great but now you dont want to give him a chance to prove himself? Everyone is saying Doss has the best hands... have some faith... rookies have to prove theirselves sometime... plus Marcus Smith wouldn't be number 1 I would be surprise if he made the team
    I don't think it is a faith issue, more so a comfort level issue. We've had more proven depth most years than we have now, so it can be a little nerve-racking knowing Boldin is our only truly experienced WR. I would be for both Lee or Housh coming back.

But on the flip side I actually like the youth movement and am for giving them a shot. Smith looked pretty good yesterday at practice IMO.

Again, it's just a comfort level thing for me.

Last year is really the only year we had "proven" depth

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kris21054 View Post
    Last year is really the only year we had "proven" depth
    Yeah but the year before that we had Clayton and Mason, and knew what they were. They were known entities.

Its the uncertainty and unknown nature of the rookies I think that has people wary. Of course if in game 1 Smith breaks out for about 75-100 yards or makes a few nice plays, you will see people's attitudes shift drastically.

What have you done for me lately. Problem is being rookies they haven't done anything.

Blog Entries

It's not as if we are starting a rookie opposite Jason Avant. It's Anquan Boldin, with a power running game featuring Ray Rice. Boldin is going to get double teamed. The young guys will see single coverage all day. Flacco is no slouch, I mean, he can, conceivably, deliver an accurate pass.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I can't believe that people would rather go with what is already known to not be enough to get this team over the hump, over some young prospects with the potential to get this team over the hump. How many years are the Ravens supposed to try this with the same veterans?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    I can't believe that people would rather go with what is already known to not be enough to get this team over the hump, over some young prospects with the potential to get this team over the hump. How many years are the Ravens supposed to try this with the same veterans?
    I must have missed when Evans played for the Ravens.

Reed: 0 catches.
    Smith: 0 catches.
    Doss: 0 catches.
    Dickson: 1 catch.
    Pitta: 0 catches.

Yeah...that looks fantastic as the 2-6 receiving options.

Blog Entries

This is exactly why I am for the shift.

The status quo wasn't cutting it. The only quesiton is...is this the difference that needed to be made?

I sure hope so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BLSmokey View Post
    I must have missed when Evans played for the Ravens.

Reed: 0 catches.
    Smith: 0 catches.
    Doss: 0 catches.
    Dickson: 1 catch.
    Pitta: 0 catches.

Yeah...that looks fantastic as the 2-6 receiving options.
    Evans goes along with the approach from last year, piling veterans. Evans isn't even what he used to be.

Evans goes along with the approach from last year, piling veterans. Evans isn't even what he used to be.
    And I'm certain you're basing that statement on fact based on watching a significant amount of Buffalo Bills football now and then.

Piling veterans? A single signing equals a pile?

Moving right along...

Drew: 0 catches.
    M. Smith: 0 catches.
    J. Harper: 0 catches.
    Bradley: 0 catches.
    Moore: 0 catches.
    Williams: 0 catches.
    Zachary: 0 catches.

And now...to the vets.

Hardy: 10 catches.
    Jones: 113 catches.

I suppose I'm way off in thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to sign a veteran like Evans.

Blog Entries

That's right we don't need Evans. First, he would have to learn the playbook. Second, he would have to develop a rhythm with the quarterback here. Do you honestly believe that he would be able to do all of that, and at a better rate than David Reed, in time for week 1?

That's right we don't need Evans. First, he would have to learn the playbook. Second, he would have to develop a rhythm with the quarterback here. Do you honestly believe that he would be able to do all of that, and at a better rate than David Reed, in time for week 1?
    I'm sure Reed developed a real rhythm last year with Flacco while piling up 0 receptions. Perhaps he's even further developed that rhythm this training camp while sitting out with an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by BLSmokey View Post
    Lee Evans would immediately become the #2 guy here, and you'd have to think he'd appreciate the opportunity to switch to a winner at this point in his career. He's still plenty fast, and he's bigger than most people would think. IMO, he would fit in quite nicely. If people are willing to get two threads about Malcolm Floyd up to nearly 500 posts combined, the idea of Evans should be plenty exciting to this board.

However, he's due $3.275M this year and next, plus $1.5M roster bonuses. Unless Ngata signs a new deal, that's too steep. On the other hand, if Evans is willing to take a pay cut, I would give up a reasonable draft pick for him. Usually I'd say only a 4th or 5th, but considering the compensatory picks we should be getting, I'd go as high as a 3rd if his contract can be worked out.
    I thought he was about 5'11 or 6'0. Turns out hes actually 5'10. Plus, he's just not very good at playing football anymore. I'd take him for a 5th, nothing more.