Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Did you foresee this happening?

We all knew that the Ravens had and still have veterans who's days here are numbered, but were you surprised at all the cuts Ozzie has made? If I told you 2 weeks ago that the Ravens would be in this position right now, would you call me crazy? It's wild to think that we went from one of the oldest teams in the NFL to one of the youngest in a week's span.

I'm kind of excited about this season because we finally get to see what these young players have to offer, but I'm also nervous because we still have some significant holes that have yet to be filled, and lack depth at some positions. I still believe that the Ravens will be a competitive team this year and contend for the division. If the Ravens can beat the Steelers week 1 that would be a huge confidence boost for the team and would tell us a lot about what we can expect from this year's team.
    90% of the game is half mental

Re: Did you foresee this happening?

I don't disagree with the turnover, but the blatant lack of depth is mind-boggling for a team that intends to make a superbowl run on the last gasps of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. I'm actually surprised neither has complained in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Raven_Fan View Post
    I don't disagree with the turnover, but the blatant lack of depth is mind-boggling for a team that intends to make a superbowl run on the last gasps of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. I'm actually surprised neither has complained in the media.
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. What can Ed and Ray be thinking right now?!
    90% of the game is half mental

They are thinking the season starts a month from now......
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Raven_Fan View Post
    They don't usually talk until they're gone.
    There is a mix of young and veteran.
    It helps make it exciting for the vets. You would have to think Ed and Ray are shaking their heads. But at the same time they wander how this could turn out. They have to be positive because in their mind, it's next man up.
    .....Support Our Warriors.....

Blog Entries

There aren't any 'significant' holes. The closest to that would be the lack of a single pass rushing presence opposite Terrell Suggs, because rushing the passer was the team's largest weakness last year. There are certain areas where they could use a depth player, but they are not completely lacking in depth.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    There aren't any 'significant' holes. The closest to that would be the lack of a single pass rushing presence opposite Terrell Suggs, because rushing the passer was the team's largest weakness last year. There are certain areas where they could use a depth player, but they are not completely lacking in depth.
    Significant holes:
    A RT who has any significant experience in real games in the NFL (O'neil Cousins doesn't count because of how bad he has been when he does get into real games)
    A #2 and #3 WR has any significant experience in real games in the NFL
    A TE who has any significant experience in real games in the NFL
    A healthy center has any significant experience in real games in the NFL
    Any back ups on the OL
    Back up QB
    Back up RB

So basically half our offense is a crap shoot.

I am hopeful that the D looks pretty good, but am majorly concerned about the offense.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Nobody plays forever, and if everyone gives credit to Ozzie for being so astute at drafting, maybe it's time to see if the guys he drafted are really any good or not. Besides, I doubt if the 53 man roster is 100% in camp yet anyway. Someone on the opening day roster is wearing another uniform right now.

the 4 cut were no surprise except for Heap a little, but they didn't draft 2 TEs fairly high last year for window dressing so the writing was on the wall there as well.

Blog Entries

Half of the offense?

Michael Oher, has a year of experience at left and right tackle. Ben Grubbs has four years of experience and is a consistent guard. Matt Birk is still the starter at Center. Marshal Yanda has returned to his Right guard position.

Joe Flacco is one of the better quarterbacks in the league.. Vontae Leach is the best FB in the league. Ray Rice is a top 10 RB. Anquan Boldin is one of the better WRs in the league. Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta both have a year in the system. David Reed has a year in the system.

I can see the concern with starting Jah Reid, but how can you make note in one moment that he lacks experience, but then change the criteria the next moment for Oniel Cousins?

Out of the 11 positions on offense, only three are up for grabs. They just had Oher at RT two years ago and he did very well next to Yanda. Reid was one of the more polished offensive linemen coming out of the draft, whereas Cousins was always considered a project.

David Reed will see time with the first team offense once he gets back on the field. Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta will compete for the TE spot.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    Half of the offense?

Michael Oher, has a year of experience at left and right tackle. Ben Grubbs has four years of experience and is a consistent guard. Matt Birk is still the starter at Center. Marshal Yanda has returned to his Right guard position.

Joe Flacco is one of the better quarterbacks in the league.. Vontae Leach is the best FB in the league. Ray Rice is a top 10 RB. Anquan Boldin is one of the better WRs in the league. Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta both have a year in the system. David Reed has a year in the system.

I can see the concern with starting Jah Reid, but how can you make note in one moment that he lacks experience, but then change the criteria the next moment for Oniel Cousins?

Out of the 11 positions on offense, only three are up for grabs. They just had Oher at RT two years ago and he did very well next to Yanda. Reid was one of the more polished offensive linemen coming out of the draft, whereas Cousins was always considered a project.

David Reed will see time with the first team offense once he gets back on the field. Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta will compete for the TE spot.
    - I have no reason to believe one way or another that Pitta, Dickson, Reid, Reed, Cousins, Smith, Doss will step up and perform at an adequate level. Although you state it as fact that they are ready...

- Birk is going to be out at least most of the preseason and who knows how we will be after that, he's not a spring chicken anymore. Behind him are 2 UDFA's...

- Cousins has proved he sucks, unless he made significant strides in the offseason he will continue to get Joe killed. Pair that with Harbaugh saying that he is the starter right now...

- With Birk and RT a question mark the back up QB becomes that much more important.

- Smith and Doss are rookies, I don't need more of a reason.

- Reed is hurt and has only played special teams in the past

- Dickson and Pitta have very limited experience and haven't proved they can fill Heap's role

That seems pretty significant to me
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post
    - I have no reason to believe one way or another that Pitta, Dickson, Reid, Reed, Cousins, Smith, Doss will step up and perform at an adequate level. Although you state it as fact that they are ready...

- Birk is going to be out at least most of the preseason and who knows how we will be after that, he's not a spring chicken anymore. Behind him are 2 UDFA's...

- Cousins has proved he sucks, unless he made significant strides in the offseason he will continue to get Joe killed. Pair that with Harbaugh saying that he is the starter right now...

- With Birk and RT a question mark the back up QB becomes that much more important.

- Smith and Doss are rookies, I don't need more of a reason.

- Reed is hurt and has only played special teams in the past

- Dickson and Pitta have very limited experience and haven't proved they can fill Heap's role

That seems pretty significant to me
    There are no certainties in the NFL (never are). This team had to get younger and roll the dice in some areas. That said, I agree that the o line at this point is concerning. Personally, if we sure that up I would feel pretty good taking chances in other areas (ex WR and TE). I realize it's a risk, but financially we are where we are...