SI Ranks top 10 TEs of all time

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Hopefully I pasted the link correctly...if not its on the CNNSI NFL front page. Interesting the affiliation that some of these greats have had with the Ravens.

Re: SI Ranks top 10 TEs of all time

Pretty good list. I agree with Mackey as the all-time best. I would have placed Winslow as #2, and raised Gonzalez a few notches, and Bavarro would not make the list (He was not as good as our Todd Heap).

Was Casper really better than Ozzie? Somehow I doubt that. I'd put Casper below Newsome, and I dunno about Ditka, never saw him play.

Bavarro I think belongs on the list, but at #10. MistaT, you mentioned that you think Heap is better, and as a pass receiver I agree, but Bavarro was a beast of a blocker and that can't be discounted.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Only Unitas' number was retired. You can't retire a bunch of numbers, especially in the 80s, because the rules require WRs and TEs to wear those numbers. They are in such short supply that numbers in the teens are now allowed.

Yes John Mackey was the best of all time. Can you believe they put Mike Dikta in the Hall of Fame before Mackey. Guess it was because Mackey was involved with the players union. Glad to see SI has the list right.

Ben Coates was one of the better videogame football players. He goes into that HOF with Bo Jackson and '04 Michael Vick.

Where is Jay novachek?
    [IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/Trev86/Sigs/fierce.jpg[/IMG]
    [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"PAIN IS ONLY TEMPORARY...NO MATTER HOW LONG IT LASTS"--[I]Ray Lewis[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Five to ten years ago there seemed to be only one or two noteworthy pass-catching tight ends. Not to make a case that any of these are top ten but some not listed...

Clint Didier
    Wesley Walls
    Eric Green
    Jay Novacheck
    Brent Jones
    Frank Wycheck

I definetly agree with the first 3... Looking down the list I don't agree with Ben Coates or Mike Ditka. It seems that Ditka made his name as a coach more then a TE. I truly don't remember him when I was younger (1960's). Mackey was the man!!!! He made several catches during a game in San Francisco (68?) were they couldn't tackle him or bring him down. When asked after the game about it he stated he had a morbid fear of worms, and since it had rained the previous night in S.F. the field was full of them. He wasn't goi ng down!!!!!

Winslow should be either 1 or 2. I think I'd also put Jackie Smith somewhere on the list down towards the bottom.